American serama thread!

Here were the 2 silkie x serama mixes at hatch
View attachment 1631590
View attachment 1631601
Once I realized the toes had frostbite, I debated culling the surviving chick, but just couldn't. This bird has such a strong will to live and the disability doesn't seem to slow it down at all. The silkie mix & a serama chick were given to a friend where they now live "the good life." They will be spoiled house pets until spring (possibly longer since their son has grown very attached.)
View attachment 1631588 View attachment 1631589
I preordered some gray and partridge silkies to breed with my extra pet quality serama..they are so cute!

I have 3 month old cockeral that is 4.5 oz. Think he'll breed? 9-10 oz hens dwarf him.

He'll definitely try. Also, he has some more growing to do before he reaches adult size.

Teddy grew up with a giant English Orpington. She was about 8 lbs. then. He did his best to try to mate her while she was just sitting in the grass.

Teddy (serama)
Teddy1.jpg

Cupcake (Orpington)
Cupcake.jpg

Here's Cupcake is next to Noodle (serama)
Best buffs.jpg

I preordered some gray and partridge silkies to breed with my extra pet quality serama..they are so cute!
Thanks. I only hatched silkie x serama mixes 2xs, but every chick looked pretty much the same. Hen was a splash silkie & dad was a silkied serama. All 4 chicks were dark brown, black skin, 5 toes, & silkie feathering. They basically looked the same - like little silkies - and got darker as they aged. Since it was just an experiment, I gave them all away, so I do not have any recent pics.

Here's one at 6 weeks. (The crests didn't start until 5 wks old.)
silkie 5.jpg
silkie 3.jpg

My tribble was one...sisters dog grrr. Killed all my ducks too.
Ordered hatching eggs from the woman I got her from..bad experience this time 5 of the dozen were already developing the rest promptly blew up on day 3 of incubation. She sent 6 more..paid for 12 go figure. 2 hatched.lefty 4 toes on left 5 on the right...Than topper 5 toes white skin. And a fizzled serama showed up in the mix. She said she shipped me the wrong package..no longer selling eggs . Have 3 cuties. But WVduckchicks serama hands down the cutest.

My tribble was one...sisters dog grrr. Killed all my ducks too.
Ordered hatching eggs from the woman I got her from..bad experience this time 5 of the dozen were already developing the rest promptly blew up on day 3 of incubation. She sent 6 more..paid for 12 go figure. 2 hatched.lefty 4 toes on left 5 on the right...Than topper 5 toes white skin. And a fizzled serama showed up in the mix. She said she shipped me the wrong package..no longer selling eggs . Have 3 cuties. But WVduckchicks serama hands down the cutest.

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, and while I agree mine are very cute, I think all seramas are pretty dang cute. :)
Mine are mostly pet quality, with lots of things to be worked on, but I sure do enjoy them!

My two hens are roughly the same size. However, one lays eggs that are visibly smaller than the other. Does that relate to the size the chicks will be? Will chicks from the smaller eggs always end up as smaller chickens than those raised from the larger eggs?

My two hens are roughly the same size. However, one lays eggs that are visibly smaller than the other. Does that relate to the size the chicks will be? Will chicks from the smaller eggs always end up as smaller chickens than those raised from the larger eggs?

That's a good question, I've wondered the same thing, if anyone has any proof either way. I'm thinking it probably has some influence, but not always 100% relative. I don't have any evidence to back that up though, just thinking about past hatches. I think I'll experiment with that this spring. I usually don't track which chick came from which egg and how much that egg weighed to begin with, but I might try it with one hatch.

I do have a fairly new layer that lays a larger egg than I expected from her.

The 3 Serama eggs that my Silkie is brooding right now are all the smaller size. I'll see how they compare to the 3 chicks that hatched last month. I didn't keep track of what size eggs those all were from but at least one should have been one of the larger ones.

Hiya
I have questions I'm afraid :rolleyes:
Bought 2 "Serama" to add to my hen and roo. One looks typical Serama the other looks more like a vulture :idunno :lau love her though,green legs an all.
Iv looked at hundreds of photod can't see any much like her . As a wild guess maybe some silkie or frizzle in her. So is there anyone that can enlighten me please as to what iv bought lol. Hatched 9 out of 9 of her offspring whoops ! Thought I'd loose some or have quitters ! Waiting to see how they grow :hmm
They are now 4weeks old. 3 of them are burning their little heads on the heat plate. Look so sore. Yet the others are not burning ? Worried and puzzled as to why 3 look burned others don't ? Will they be ok ? Feather out ok ? In pain ? Pics uploaded.
Thank you for any help/suggestions. And any id of NeveView attachment 1600140 View attachment 1600142 View attachment 1600143 View attachment 1600145 poor head :-(
They are all fine now. Recent pics the cream was great. Can I have opinions as to whether they could be sold.i have rather to many lol. I'm keeping 4. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20190109_150336.jpg
    IMG_20190109_150336.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190109_150055.jpg
    IMG_20190109_150055.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190109_145840.jpg
    IMG_20190109_145840.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190109_145608.jpg
    IMG_20190109_145608.jpg