Ammonia question for fish tank

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Thought I would reel in some of the fish experts on here to hopefully shed some light on this.
We have had a fish tank for af ew months now, and recently got an older friend ours a fish tank as well. I got her all of the testing stuff, and she can do all of that easily, and sends me pictures if she has questions. We got her Prime water conditioner as well, to detoxify the Chlorine in her water, and to use to help detoxify ammonia. She has 5 in one test steps, and an ammonia tester.
My question is, I tested the ammonia last time I was their, (after she lost a fish) and it was really high. It was at 2.0 maybe a little higher, but not 4.0 yet. Their were some power outages about a week before, so maybe that contributed to the problem? We did a 50% water change, put the Prime in, and bough more live plants and some beneficial bacteria for the tank, incase the bacteria not building up yet was a problem. I know that started tanks can have high ammonia levels in the beginning, but she has had it for abbot 2 months now.
We are using an under gravel filter, with whisper air pump. I got the ammonia down to .25 before I left, but now a week later, (after cutting down on feeding, doing water changes once a week, were she was doing it every 2 weeks and a deep clean once a month, getting more live plants and all the other stuff I bought) the ammonia is back up to 1.0. I am starting to get concerned that the tank is overstocked.
Its a 10 gallon tank, we asked the fish person at Petsmart to double check who many fish were going to fit. We ended up buying 3 Dalmatian Mollies, 3 Red Wag Platy, and 5 Neon Tetras.
She did end up getting one more fish after that, which I wouldn't have suggested getting, she got a Cory Catfish to help get the algae off the fake plants. Se lost one of the Platy's, so now she has two of the platy's, the Catfish, plus the others.
Thanks for any suggestions! Is the tank overstocked or is something else the problem?

Thought I would reel in some of the fish experts on here to hopefully shed some light on this.
We have had a fish tank for af ew months now, and recently got an older friend ours a fish tank as well. I got her all of the testing stuff, and she can do all of that easily, and sends me pictures if she has questions. We got her Prime water conditioner as well, to detoxify the Chlorine in her water, and to use to help detoxify ammonia. She has 5 in one test steps, and an ammonia tester.
My question is, I tested the ammonia last time I was their, (after she lost a fish) and it was really high. It was at 2.0 maybe a little higher, but not 4.0 yet. Their were some power outages about a week before, so maybe that contributed to the problem? We did a 50% water change, put the Prime in, and bough more live plants and some beneficial bacteria for the tank, incase the bacteria not building up yet was a problem. I know that started tanks can have high ammonia levels in the beginning, but she has had it for abbot 2 months now.
We are using an under gravel filter, with whisper air pump. I got the ammonia down to .25 before I left, but now a week later, (after cutting down on feeding, doing water changes once a week, were she was doing it every 2 weeks and a deep clean once a month, getting more live plants and all the other stuff I bought) the ammonia is back up to 1.0. I am starting to get concerned that the tank is overstocked.
Its a 10 gallon tank, we asked the fish person at Petsmart to double check who many fish were going to fit. We ended up buying 3 Dalmatian Mollies, 3 Red Wag Platy, and 5 Neon Tetras.
She did end up getting one more fish after that, which I wouldn't have suggested getting, she got a Cory Catfish to help get the algae off the fake plants. Se lost one of the Platy's, so now she has two of the platy's, the Catfish, plus the others.
Thanks for any suggestions! Is the tank overstocked or is something else the problem?
Does the tank have external bio media that doesn't get disturbed? Once she cleans the gravel and tank the good bacteria will wash off.

Does the tank have external bio media that doesn't get disturbed? Once she cleans the gravel and tank the good bacteria will wash off.
Okay, so maybe not vacuuming the gravel in at least certina read then? When we use our gravel vacuum, we just vacuum the top of the gravel, and get all the plant material out of the water with it. So the gravel isn't disturbed that much.
Should I tell her to do the same? Not thoroughly vacuum the gravel?

Okay, so maybe not vacuuming the gravel in at least certina read then? When we use our gravel vacuum, we just vacuum the top of the gravel, and get all the plant material out of the water with it. So the gravel isn't disturbed that much.
Should I tell her to do the same? Not thoroughly vacuum the gravel?
A lot of independent pet stores use sponge filters, they cycle very fast.

Massive water changes is usually always a good start.
I had several tanks for years. A 55, 29, & a 10. 50% water change doesn't dilute the pollute well enough imo. That only cuts your problem in half.

I would also go with an external filter with a biofilter.

Some general rules is an inch of fish per gallon of water but is just a general rule. Like I had an Oscar and I can't imagine having it in a 10 gal even when it was 5" long.

Smaller tank or more fish is more water changes.

Limit your feeding as well. Everyone loves feeding their fish and typically always overfeed. Fish can go days without food & still be healthy.

It doesnt sound overloaded. Vacuuming the gravel is great! Leave a little bit of mess. When you say deep clean, exactly what do you mean? Never rinse the media in anything other than tank water. But some in a bucket and swish your media in it to get rid of the big crud.
I have sponge filters and HOB (hang on back) filters, not in the same tank. I love both, but prefer the sponge filters. She can try feeding every other day. Dont scrub everything. Let biofilm build up. It will look a bit yucky, but the fish appreciate it.
Throw away, or return, those test strips. Get the liquid drops in the bottles. They are much more accurate. She could even buy digital meters but those are a touch pricey.
What size air pump? She may need a more powerful one. She can easily add a sponge filter to help things. I really like powerheads vs air pumps. They are quieter and easier to care for. You can find the on Amazon.
Sorry if I missed anything!

Back
Top Bottom