animal control came and said to get rid of my chickens!

b.hromada :

Thanks very much GBov. I will keep everyone updated as soon as I know anything new.
fl.gif

You are so welcome:) I have been reading this thread with great interest as I miss our chickens so much. We had to sell them all when we moved house (and country) and as we are renting for now I dont think we can sneak some into the back yard. Our landlord is really nice and said I could turn as much yard into veg garden as I wanted (esp. if I send any surplus tomatoes his way lol ) so I wont push for live stock just yet *sigh*

I was reading about quail though...................................
wink.png

My kids really want you to get to keep your girls too, gives them hope they will get some too
lol.png

I'm very much interested in this thread too. I also am renting and considering getting chickens. So far I found out that livestock is not permitted, excluding poultry and hogs. Then goes on to say poultry houses are not permitted. But I can't find the definition of 'poultry house' in the code.
hmm.png
If I do get chickens I will try using a round tractor like the one mentioned earlier that looks like a trash can
big_smile.png

I really hope you win this, that nosy neighbor is ridiculous.
Reminds me of the reason I moved out of the apartment. Had a neighbor downstairs that complained whenever we walked. I never ran, never jumped or skipped, but walked. Apparently I walked 'too heavy'. I'm sorry, but I am not in control f gravity and I cannot become instantly lighter...

Sorry to get off topic. It does sound like ACO is on your side, even though they keep getting called out. Best wishes!

Wait you should be able to sell the eggs... it is no different then saying you have a pure breed dog and are now selling the puppies. The dog is still a pet even though you don't want to keep its offspring.

A chicken is still a pet you just don't want to keep its offspring so why not sell it.

GL

Wait you should be able to sell the eggs... it is no different then saying you have a pure breed dog and are now selling the puppies. The dog is still a pet even though you don't want to keep its offspring.

The point is--don't confuse the issue. I think the way b.hromada is going is fine. But if she were to start adding egg sales or to focus on the egg aspect, then she weakens her pet argument. There is a difference in having a flock of 15 pet chickens and having a single dog. Chickens are not a traditional pet--they are traditionally a form of livestock. Dogs have been considered pets for thousands of years. Numbers: 15 chickens vs 1 dog.

Once she has a variance/permit to keep her chickens, then she can worry about what to do with extra eggs.​

Quote:
In my state you have to get a temporary business license to sell puppies, or anything for that matter... $50 for a week temp license or $100 for a reagular one you renew every year... So that includes selling eggs here... yard sales, you name it!

Still hoping for a good outcome!
fl.gif

I'm just saying that it is basically the same thing. I live in a county in Ohio which makes me get a permit, get inspected, then get a health certificate for each chicken owned. I have to do everything except sell my first born to get chickens.

I hope you get to keep your chickens.

Quote:
The point is--don't confuse the issue. I think the way b.hromada is going is fine. But if she were to start adding egg sales or to focus on the egg aspect, then she weakens her pet argument. There is a difference in having a flock of 15 pet chickens and having a single dog. Chickens are not a traditional pet--they are traditionally a form of livestock. Dogs have been considered pets for thousands of years. Numbers: 15 chickens vs 1 dog.

Once she has a variance/permit to keep her chickens, then she can worry about what to do with extra eggs.

I agree..

remember,,,,KISS,,,,,,,
Keep It Simple Stupid

she can always sell or give the eggs away discreetly later..

first she has to win the battle or there will be no eggs to worry about..

Quote:

Once she has a variance/permit to keep her chickens, then she can worry about what to do with extra eggs.

Hi everyone. I was having trouble with my silly password, and was not able to get on for a couple days. Anyway..................... you guys are all right. I don't want to confuse the issue, I just want them to understand that these chickens are MY PETS, you and I know, regardless of their eggs. Although, we did mention that they lay wonderful eggs!
smile.png
The Counsel seemed to like that, I mean, they never said a negative thing against it. I'm hoping to make this next meeting on this coming Tuesday. Hopefully with a small speech, I'll get through it just fine. Keep praying for me though, I still need that!
wink.png

My good friend that teaches kindergarten whom I volunteer for said that her son who now lives in Maine, told her that everyone up there is getting their chicks, and are fighting to have them in their backyards as well. Made me feel better! Thats why all the hatcheries are out of them guys, EVERYONE wants some!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom