Annoying

I am 23 years old, and my husband, daughter, and myself live with my parents to save up for our own place. I, like yourself had to ask my mothers permission since we live under her roof if we could have chickens. Although she was hesitant at first, she allowed me to get my chicks because she knows I am responsible, and I would be the person to raise them and pay for all of their supplies. As a 21 year old, you shouldn't expect your family to pay for your "want" items in life. Especially for living creatures. Before we ordered our chicks, I had everything set up for the brooder. I ordered a kit online, bought chick starter, pine shavings, and a large dog kennel for the brooder. This all ended up costing me around $100 give or take. Luckily we have a family member who is helping us build a coop, but we have all of our ducks in a row. Chicks are a huge commitment, and will continue to cost you money for the entire time you raise them. Personally, I feel that you need to have a stable income before you even think about getting the chicks. It's not fair for your mother to let you have chickens when she doesn't want them in the first place, and then have to help you pay for things. You are an adult. Do the right thing and have everything you need first. I understand the feeling of excitement when you are just so close to getting what you want, but I've also learned the value of being responsible. When you show you are responsible and prepared, people believe in you more.

That makes a lot of sense, although I wouldn't expect them to pay for it and she's off and on with wanting them. But you are right that maybe I should prepare a little more, in terms of the money and supplies, before getting them. I hadn't really looked into how mucb the supplies would be, though I figured especially the coop would be a lot. It's weird because I've done so much research on the care and design of the coop and all that but not really too much on cost. I think I have maybe a $200? Possibly 300, saved but could definitely save a lot more because that will probably go quickly. I know I need something more stable than this but my collects a ton of stuff so I try to sell it so I'm listing a lot of it and have a few things up but yeah.

I'm thinking maybe I should make a PowerPoint or something but also work harder on saving. I also didn't think I wanted to wait until July but maybe I should

I'm going to say a few things, and I hope you do not get offended. That is not my intention.

You are wondering what breeds to order, and are in a rush to put in an order before the hatchery sells out. Then there are the concerns on how to pay for a coop and feed.

At your age you should be worrying less about chickens and more about what you would like to do with your life. What is it you would like to do? You are old enough to pursue some sort of career and find a way to support yourself. In time you could purchase your own property, build your own coop(s) and order however many chickens YOU want.

It's okay, I'm not offended.

I understand what you mean though but I actually do have the breeds now, it's just that the availability changed so like one or two of them aren't available, but I don't mind that.

But yeah, I guess I probably shouldn't worry too much about getting a certain breed (aka them not selling out) as much as how to pay for it. And I didn't think I wanted to wait until July or later but early June is probably too soon. I should probably save more first.

As for the career thing, you're right about that too but I should mention I actually was/am in school. Right now I'm not doing much and have only taken 3 classes since September (2 then and one in February, just ended mid May), at a local school but I did go to school right out of high school for a full year and then one semester but I didn't like the major anymore and wasn't doing well at it so I withdrew and took a year off and yeah. Anyways, long story short, I'm not doing much now and do need to think more but I did go at first

I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on going back to a real school too once I look into it more but I'm thinking something to do with animals or psychology. It sounds dumb but I really want to be an animal trainer. Or just normal psychology or something.

I do need to go back to school so that's a good point but at the same time, I don't really want to wait 4 more years and we also have the dog. Chickens are probably more work though.

But I think maybe I should at least wait until later summer or next spring?

I don't know, I need to save more though

Thanks for the tips/advice guys, you do make good points, but that's the thing, I've tried explaining it to her (granted in a frustrated tone and kind of fast) but she won't listen. She keeps mentioning the dog or irrelevant things. I know the dog will get bored very quickly and if he doesn't, I'll keep them contained. She's essentially just throwing out excuses (that I've already thought out) to avoid getting them. This specific time has been stretched out about a week or two but I've wanted them before.

But anyways, no, I do not have all that stuff yet but I've planning and thinking about it for a long time and was planning on getting it once I got them.

I should probably clarify that part too - I don't even want to go buy chicks and bring them home right now, as much as I'd love to. All I want to do right now is simply order them before they sell out since it's so late in the season and some breeds already have.

So with that in mind, it kind of goes along with the other questions. Yes, I know what breeds and where. Been thinking about that too and was initially going to go with the feed store a few months ago, mostly because we know someone who works there so my dad wanted to, but now I want to order them from Meyer.

So, I was planning on just ordering them so they don't sell out and then buying it all. I know above I mentioned once I get them but what I more meant was after I order them, since I know it needs to be set up beforehand.

For the coop, I was planning on ordering them and then working on it since they can't go outside for a while anyways and wouldn't even get here for a few weeks or a month so I figured that was plenty of time? It's only either 4x8 or 8x8. For the run we have an old dog kennel we're planning on using but I'd have to line it with smaller wire or maybe just build one before the chain link is probably too big.

And while I know raising a family and all that is difficult, they don't even have to anymore because we're all older now. 19, 21 (myself), and 24. My younger brother also started college in August (went early for football) so he's not even home and whem he is, he's always off with friends and he has an internship this summer so won't be home except weekends. The other brother works and isn't home that much either. I, personally, do mostly sit at home but that's good for chickens. I'm also the only one that trains the dog anyways. Like I'm the pet one anyways so no one would be doing it except me anyways.

I do understand their concern because sometimes I've lost interest with other pets but I'm genuinely interested this time, especially with the lack of maintenance. I know they're not necessarily easy and do require maintenance but what I mean is less maintenance. Like the only other pets I've had was a rabbit, several parakeets, and fish, including a betta I'm trying to rehome but invested a lot in for once, aka fairly high maintenance animals.

And, to be honest, although I've done a lot of planning, no, I really hadn't thought about diseases or as much living, though I know they are, and that does worry me a tad, but I really do think I can handle it.

And I should probably be nicer but it is annoying, especially since I'm only living here but am saving up myself and would do all the work. So I don't really see why they're so worried about it.

Oh and btw, to answer the other question, they'd be for eggs as well as pets.

But yeah.. Maybe I should make a PowerPoint or something?

And also, I'm really sorry too if I came off as rude or anything because I didn't take offense, don't worry, just thought I should fully explain or clarify
I would just like to say that if you are truly interested in having chickens I hope you can get some, but I would also like to say that chickens are not low-maintenance animals, imo.

We have been keeping chickens for about 18 months now, not sure if our experience is typical or extraordinary, but we have dealt with a chicken being scalped, bumblefoot, predator attacks (that includes dogs, bobcats, hawks etc...), broody chickens, prolapse, lice, unexplained illness that required a chicken to be kept in the house for a month or more, injuries and various other issues. There is also feeding, cleaning and general maintenance of coop and run, egg gathering and checking each chicken to prevent problems on a regular basis.

If you're up for it, more power to you. Chickens are very rewarding and the best thing we've added to our lives in a very long time. We have 40 now and are adding more, so the number involved obviously adds to the work load. I just want you to be prepared for the work involved in keeping them. They are totally worth it if you are really dedicated and want them. Good luck to you!

I would just like to say that if you are truly interested in having chickens I hope you can get some, but I would also like to say that chickens are not low-maintenance animals, imo.

We have been keeping chickens for about 18 months now, not sure if our experience is typical or extraordinary, but we have dealt with a chicken being scalped, bumblefoot, predator attacks (that includes dogs, bobcats, hawks etc...), broody chickens, prolapse, lice, unexplained illness that required a chicken to be kept in the house for a month or more, injuries and various other issues. There is also feeding, cleaning and general maintenance of coop and run, egg gathering and checking each chicken to prevent problems on a regular basis. 

If you're up for it, more power to you. Chickens are very rewarding and the best thing we've added to our lives in a very long time. We have 40 now and are adding more, so the number involved obviously adds to the work load. I just want you to be prepared for the work involved in keeping them. They are totally worth it if you are really dedicated and want them. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the input!

The things you mentioned definitely are a concern and I suppose I've more focused on the good parts or just predators when I do think of the bad but I never really thought much of illness and things yet. I'm hoping though that can sort of be dealt with as it comes up? Though obviously I do need to prepare for it and want to buy some books. I guess though what I more meant by the maintenance bit was in terms of like daily maintenance? Obviously that can still be a lot but I do want to try to minimize it as much as possible such as by droppings board and/or sand, etc., so I assume, from what I've gathered, before that I'd basically need to scrape the board and/or scoop the sand, get eggs, let them in and out, and check them over daily? And food and water. Though obviously that could add up and I'm not trying to say they're easy with that bit, just I guess clarifying or seeing if there's more I'm forgetting. You're definitely right about illness and injury and all that though and it's a concern.

I wonder if it's less of a concern with a smaller number like 6-8?

But thanks again!

I think I should probably prepare at least a little bit more beforehand.

Chickens can live for 10+ years. As a 21 year old, when you move out of your mom's house - you probably won't be able to afford your own house with a yard right away. Then, who will take care of the chickens? Also, on a side note - you'll be having your own children in the not so distant future and of course that is way more work than tending to chickens :)

And on a super side note: If after all of that you still want chickens, then to sway your mom - I would suggest you save up money from your work and start to spend it on getting everything done ahead of time. If you are super determined, you should have the brooder and pen done this very weekend! That would help show her that you are ready to take on a couple of chickens.

Here is a rundown of costs (as I just started my first flock at the ripe old age of (let's just say twice yours):

Books: $40
Coop and Pen and Other Supplies (Shovel, scoop, Sand, etc...): $1300
Brooder and Startup Supplies: $300
Feed: $10/week
Medical Supplies (Anticipating Medical Needs): $100
Chicks Themselves: $50

Time Involved: Lots and lots and lots of time... Tending to babies every hour... tending to pullets and cockerels constantly... cleaning out the pen and coop constantly... checking for medical issues.... socializing the chickens, etc...

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

The things you mentioned definitely are a concern and I suppose I've more focused on the good parts or just predators when I do think of the bad but I never really thought much of illness and things yet. I'm hoping though that can sort of be dealt with as it comes up? Though obviously I do need to prepare for it and want to buy some books. I guess though what I more meant by the maintenance bit was in terms of like daily maintenance? Obviously that can still be a lot but I do want to try to minimize it as much as possible such as by droppings board and/or sand, etc., so I assume, from what I've gathered, before that I'd basically need to scrape the board and/or scoop the sand, get eggs, let them in and out, and check them over daily? And food and water. Though obviously that could add up and I'm not trying to say they're easy with that bit, just I guess clarifying or seeing if there's more I'm forgetting. You're definitely right about illness and injury and all that though and it's a concern.

I wonder if it's less of a concern with a smaller number like 6-8?

But thanks again!

I think I should probably prepare at least a little bit more beforehand.
When we first decided to get chickens we did lots of research on breeds that would be good for our area (it gets very hot here) and had our coop and run ready, had a chicken first aid kit, feed, warming lights, all the stuff you need for baby chicks. It went well and I'm glad we did the research that we did. I'm sure that 6-8 chickens will see fewer problems than a larger flock just due to the numbers.

We do like you mentioned and deal with things that come up as they happen, that's really the only way to do it, but it's good to be aware that there are lots of things that can happen. Chickens are really very complex creatures.

I've learned so much in the last 18 months and have a lot left to learn, but the day to day stuff is easy. Keep the coop and run clean, make sure they have food and clean water ( treats are nice now and then), make sure they are safe from predators (everything likes chicken), and enjoy them. I love my chickens very much, can't imagine my life without them. I hope you get to have some, they are lovely pets and they make you breakfast. :)

Chickens can live for 10+ years.  As a 21 year old, when you move out of your mom's house - you probably won't be able to afford your own house with a yard right away.  Then, who will take care of the chickens?  Also, on a side note - you'll be having your own children in the not so distant future and of course that is way more work than tending to chickens :) 

And on a super side note:  If after all of that you still want chickens, then to sway your mom - I would suggest you save up money from your work and start to spend it on getting everything done ahead of time.  If you are super determined, you should have the brooder and pen done this very weekend!  That would help show her that you are ready to take on a couple of chickens.

Here is  a rundown of costs (as I just started my first flock at the ripe old age of (let's just say twice yours):

Books:  $40
Coop and Pen and Other Supplies (Shovel, scoop, Sand, etc...):  $1300
Brooder and Startup Supplies:  $300
Feed:  $10/week
Medical Supplies (Anticipating Medical Needs):  $100
Chicks Themselves:  $50

Time Involved:  Lots and lots and lots of time...  Tending to babies every hour... tending to pullets and cockerels constantly... cleaning out the pen and coop constantly... checking for medical issues.... socializing the chickens, etc...

I hadn't even thought about the lifespan thing :/ I guess though they would? Or I'd come home often or rehome them or something. I'll need to think about it more.

And true, though that probably won't be for quite a while considering I've never even had a boyfriend yet :p

That's a good idea to save up more though and get the stuff ready beforehand.

And thanks for the costs and everything!

Seems expensive :/

Guess that's why I have to save up! Especially because even if some stuff was less, it probably still wouldn't be less than $1000

I hadn't even thought about the lifespan thing
hmm.png
I guess though they would? Or I'd come home often or rehome them or something. I'll need to think about it more.

And true, though that probably won't be for quite a while considering I've never even had a boyfriend yet
tongue.png

That's a good idea to save up more though and get the stuff ready beforehand.

And thanks for the costs and everything!

Seems expensive
hmm.png

Guess that's why I have to save up! Especially because even if some stuff was less, it probably still wouldn't be less than $1000

Honey, when you do get a boyfriend - the chickens will be the last thing on your mind. You two will ride off into the sunset and you won't be coming home often to care for them. Ultimately, these will become your mom's chickens. So be gentle with her when it comes to getting the chickens. It's a big responsibility. Chickens don't do well with stress and rehoming them can cause them to become very stressed to the point that they die.

What I suggest is that if you are going to have chickens, don't do more than 3. That way, they will be much easier for your mom to handle once you grow up and fly out of her nest ;)

When we first decided to get chickens we did lots of research on breeds that would be good for our area (it gets very hot here) and had our coop and run ready, had a chicken first aid kit, feed, warming lights, all the stuff you need for baby chicks. It went well and I'm glad we did the research that we did. I'm sure that 6-8 chickens will see fewer problems than a larger flock just due to the numbers.

We do like you mentioned and deal with things that come up as they happen, that's really the only way to do it, but it's good to be aware that there are lots of things that can happen. Chickens are really very complex creatures.

I've learned so much in the last 18 months and have a lot left to learn, but the day to day stuff is easy. Keep the coop and run clean, make sure they have food and  clean water ( treats are nice now and then), make sure they are safe from predators (everything likes chicken), and enjoy them. I love my chickens very much, can't imagine my life without them. I hope you get to have some, they are lovely pets and they make you breakfast. :)

Thanks so much for all the help and info!! I think you're definitely right though about being aware of and prepared for things before they happen

Honey, when you do get a boyfriend - the chickens will be the last thing on your mind.  You two will ride off into the sunset and you won't be coming home often to care for them.  Ultimately, these will become your mom's chickens.  So be gentle with her when it comes to getting the chickens.  It's a big responsibility.  Chickens don't do well with stress and rehoming them can cause them to become very stressed to the point that they die. 

What I suggest is that if you are going to have chickens, don't do more than 3.  That way, they will be much easier for your mom to handle once you grow up and fly out of her nest ;)

Well, you may be right about that but hopefully not lol

Maybe I'd even make the boyfriend help :p big on animals, though I probably will end up gone a lot more, despite what I think. Especially because I like music too and may end uo at shows with or without a boyfriend

But really? I hadn't realized that and definitely don't want them dying. :(

That's a good idea about getting less though. I was thinking about 6-8 but 3 or 4 would probably be better.

I should mention though my dad's here too and I think wants them but is also iffy but he could probably help some too or make the.boys help. Though I should probably do most or all of it

If say wait until you have established your own place of living for chickens. You never know what's going to happen. Your 21, so much change in te next decade you don't even know it! I think eventually they will end up in your moms care. And your mom does not want to deal with it.
Wait! And learn while you wait and then when you are ready and able you'll be an expert!

Back
Top Bottom