Annoying

If say wait until you have established your own place of living for chickens. You never know what's going to happen. Your 21, so much change in te next decade you don't even know it! I think eventually they will end up in your moms care. And your mom does not want to deal with it.
Wait! And learn while you wait and then when you are ready and able you'll be an expert!

That's very true too!

I've already waited so long though. :/

But i guess it wouldn't hurt to wait longer hah

You're probably right about that though and I should probably wait at least a few months or year if not the full 5 or 10. I think I should save more anyways

PS - Your mom and dad can't be "annoying" or "jerks" if you aren't living under their roof. You are at an age where your money would be better spent getting your own place so you can have as many chickens as you want!

Plus, once you get your own place - you might one day realize that your mom and dad weren't ever "annoying" or "jerks" - they were just doing what was best for everyone who lived under their roof that they worked hard to pay for :) Your mom can't be a good mom to your brothers if she's stressed out about chickens and being a good mom always comes first

Everyone who has responded to this post has been so kind. I'm quite surprised. I am new to byc and the only other message board I'm familiar with is babycenter. I had my first child in November (a wonderful little girl named Coraline) needless to say the people on that board would never ever be so kind!
Reading through these posts OP I think you should wait on baby chicks. My family lives with my Mom. My father passed away 9 years ago when I was 19 and we never left. Its beneficial to all of us because we help with rent and honestly my Mom is great. Anyhoo, I started my first chicken flock about a year and a half ago. 3 full grown hens. One died unexpectedly which happens but was hard to deal with and I was late to work because I had to deal with removing her from the coop (this makes it sound much easier but she wasn't dead yet when I found her so it was quite awful trying to save her). 5 weeks ago I decided to try my hand at baby chicks. Once again let me remind you I live in my Moms home. The baby chicks stayed inside our house in our sunroom. These lil suckers grow FAST and need a constant heat source. I moved them from fluffy lil babies in a hamster cage to a tupperwear bin to a playpen in a matter of FOUR weeks. And once they get feathers they SMELL. No matter how much you clean up after them! Your moms house will smell like farm! I moved the babes out to the garage and yesterday my husband & I moved them to a makeshift coop right next to the big guys so they can get to know one another and not make me wanna barf when we go in our house. I'm not complaining. I love raising chickens. But I do not think you have thought it through and realize just what you will be dealing with and putting your mom through. My advice is if you are going to do this regardless of what mom says start with a couple full grown birds but only after you have a coop and secure enclosure built and the proper nutrition available. Also use heavy bowls because they will climb on them and knock them over! And don't forget chicks wo n t leg eggs for several months! Good luck & give your mom a big hug!

KDOGG331: I'd like to respond to you one more time. I really appreciate the responsibility you've shown in your response to these posts. It's not easy responding when folks are shooting holes in your desired plan of action. Kudos to you. Are you working full time yet? That obviously will be your first step towards financial independence. I bet that once you have that full time job, and are financially "independent", perhaps even able to help out your Mom by buying a few groceries, and even cooking some of the meals, if you have the cash to purchase a coop, or if you have tools available, can make that coop, with your own funds, once you have the coop... so those chicks can be brooded outside... Then, when you have the funds to buy all of the accessories, and finally the funds to buy the chicks to put in that coop, all of your Mom's reasons not to get a few chicks will blow away in the wind! And chickens are not particularly low maintenance. If I'm completely honest, I think they are higher maintenance than a dog, or even a cat. There's the coop cleaning, lugging food out every day, being sure they are locked away from predators at night, and if you have too many chickens for a fort knox type of run, you can't be away from home after dark without worry about a night time creature carrying them off. Then, there's the freezing water in the winter. I wish you the best for your dreams for the future.

KDOGG331: I'd like to respond to you one more time. I really appreciate the responsibility you've shown in your response to these posts. It's not easy responding when folks are shooting holes in your desired plan of action. Kudos to you. Are you working full time yet? That obviously will be your first step towards financial independence. I bet that once you have that full time job, and are financially "independent", perhaps even able to help out your Mom by buying a few groceries, and even cooking some of the meals, if you have the cash to purchase a coop, or if you have tools available, can make that coop, with your own funds, once you have the coop... so those chicks can be brooded outside... Then, when you have the funds to buy all of the accessories, and finally the funds to buy the chicks to put in that coop, all of your Mom's reasons not to get a few chicks will blow away in the wind! And chickens are not particularly low maintenance. If I'm completely honest, I think they are higher maintenance than a dog, or even a cat. There's the coop cleaning, lugging food out every day, being sure they are locked away from predators at night, and if you have too many chickens for a fort knox type of run, you can't be away from home after dark without worry about a night time creature carrying them off. Then, there's the freezing water in the winter. I wish you the best for your dreams for the future.

I have to agree with this in a way. I moved out of my house when I was 19 years old. I recognized all that my parents had done for me and the sacrifices they made to ensure I had food, clothing and a roof over my head. I figured it was my time to make my way in the world and not be a financial burden on them anymore. My independence was in part for me so I could do whatever it is I wanted and also it was a way of saying "thank you" to them for being there for me.

When I first moved out I wanted a dog really badly. I obsessed over having a puppy and could have gone to a shelter and got one at any moment that I wanted. BUT - I wanted what was best for the dog. And I had a habit of going out with my friends, going out on dates, etc... It wouldn't have been fair to the dog to keep it locked up all day while I went to work and then locked up all night while I went out socializing. So, even though I wanted it soooo badly... I figured the right time would come where I could dedicate enough time to the dog so that we both would be happy. Eventually, that day came about 6 years later - when I settled down and got married and was no longer out socializing all of the time. Even though it was hard, I'm glad I waited because my dog was so much happier. Not to mention, during that period in my early 20s where socializing was really important - I had the freedom to go out and not worry about getting home to take care of the dog... or staying in so that the dog would have quality time. I could go on road trips with my friends without having to say, "I can't go - I can't afford to board the dog" or "I can't go because I have to take care of the dog".

Pets can be a burden

Today is my oldest son's 18th birthday. He has one more year of high school (we delayed kindergarten because he was a preemie) so he goes to school full time and he also works almost every day after school and the weekends. He EARNS all the money he needs for the extra things he wants. He has his future pretty well planned out and actually works toward those goals. So far you have shown that you just sit around thinking of the cool things in life (what breeds you want, how cute and fuzzy they will be, how fun it would be to work with animals...) and basically zero thought into the actual reality of being responsible for living creatures AND yourself since you are an adult or how (needed) changes in your future will impact your ability to care for them. If I found out my adult child was calling me names on a forum because I hadn't allowed them to lay yet another responsibility on my shoulders they would be getting a very quick wake up call. It's time for you to realize that is your parents home. If they want chickens they will get chickens. I am sorry if my post isn't quite as sweet as some, but honestly, you sound like my 4 y/o when I won't let him get a toy. Become a responsible adult and I guarantee you will have chickens if you want them.

Last edited:
My husband and I just got our first chicks! I thought I'd share how much we have spent so far. You will definitely need to save up more money. We are just starting and haven't bought all the supplies, but so far this is an estimate of what we've spent...
Brooder with light feeders ect- $100
Shavings and chick starter-$50
Material for coop-$800 (that's not counting all the hours making said coop)
Fencing for run- $200
Chicks (we got 9 and received 1 free one)-$50
Books (I buy on my kindle)- $20 but I'm sure I'll end up buying more

As I said, I'm sure there is more we need to buy and with less chickens you could probably lower the cost of the coop. I'm also in Canada so the prices are a little higher but sounds like not by much. I just wanted to give you another cost list so you see that it really is that expensive. I'm 32 and glad I waited because I now own a horse farm and so happy I'm adding my chickens now. Good luck though!

Today is my oldest son's 18th birthday. He has one more year of high school (we delayed kindergarten because he was a preemie) so he goes to school full time and he also works almost every day after school and the weekends. He EARNS all the money he needs for the extra things he wants. He has his future pretty well planned out and actually works toward those goals. So far you have shown that you just sit around thinking of the cool things in life (what breeds you want, how cute and fuzzy they will be, how fun it would be to work with animals...) and basically zero thought into the actual reality of being responsible for living creatures AND yourself since you are an adult or how (needed) changes in your future will impact your ability to care for them. If I found out my adult child was calling me names on a forum because I hadn't allowed them to lay yet another responsibility on my shoulders they would be getting a very quick wake up call. It's time for you to realize that is your parents home. If they want chickens they will get chickens. I am sorry if my post isn't quite as sweet as some, but honestly, you sound like my 4 y/o when I won't let him get a toy. Become a responsible adult and I guarantee you will have chickens if you want them.

Your post hit the nail right on the head. Mom's house = Mom's rules, no it's and's or but's. A child in my house calling me names on a public forum would be subjected to a whole new set of rules! Any adult child in my house would be walking the streets looking for a full time job AND going to school.

Thanks fir the help guys, you do bring up good points again and lazy gardner, no I'm not working yet but I believe I'm starting soon, it all depends when she texts me (my brothers friend is starting a dog day care and texted me a week or two ago saying it was opening and in a few weeks and she'd text with more details) so hopefully that would be good. I might offer to volunteer at first though just because she's a friend and starting up in a new location (it was previously at her house), as well as training and paying me, might be sort of hard. But during that, I'm also going to keep selling stuff. I should probably prepare a bit more
KDOGG331:  I'd like to respond to you one more time.  I really appreciate the responsibility you've shown in your response to these posts.  It's not easy responding when folks are shooting holes in your desired plan of action.  Kudos to you.  Are you working full time yet?  That obviously will be your first step towards financial independence.  I bet that once you have that full time job, and are financially "independent", perhaps even able to help out your Mom by buying a few groceries, and even cooking some of the meals, if you have the cash to purchase a coop, or if you have tools available, can make that coop, with your own funds, once you have the coop... so those chicks can be brooded outside... Then, when you have the funds to buy all of the accessories, and finally the funds to buy the chicks to put in that coop, all of your Mom's reasons not to get a few chicks will blow away in the wind!  And chickens are not particularly low maintenance.  If I'm completely honest, I think they are higher maintenance than a dog, or even a cat.  There's the coop cleaning, lugging food out every day, being sure they are locked away from predators at night, and if you have too many chickens for a fort knox type of run, you can't be away from home after dark without worry about a night time creature carrying them off.  Then, there's the freezing water in the winter.  I wish you the best for your dreams for the future.

And as for the career and life and responsibility and all that, yes, I realize this post was maybe a bit immature and I don't really do much if anything around the house and I do need to BUT. My thing isn't so much that I don't respect their rules as much as it is them making false promises and/or leading me on. For example, if they just flat out said no, I'd be fine. I'd be disappointed but I'd probably just say okay and wait. But they don't. They keep saying we can get them, that they want them. They said we could last year but changed their minds and nothing ever came of it then this January/February, they (mostly my dad) said that we could and my dad actually wanted them, we had a whole coop plan and everything, then nothing ever came of it. Granted, I probably could have been saving and working towards it more and everything since I wanted them but still. So I guess I'm just annoyed that they don't just flat out say yes or no. They are onboard and then jump overboard. If they just flat out said yes or no, I'd respect their decision a lot more. I realize the post was still immature but that's honestly the only part I'm annoyed about. That they won't just say no or, especially my mom, they will jist say things to shut me up but not actually mean them.

And yeah, I realize that maybe I need a lot more responsiblity and need to help more and I also do get away with a lot more than my brothers and, I guess, maybe, am sort of babied or enabled a little by my mom but I'm working on it anf that's also partially on them because I do more if.my brother or dad ask so they could easily have made me. But my brothers also don't really help out either. The one works but the younger one is out with friends a lot. He worked one or two summers but still.

And I definitely need to be nicer and, again, need more responsiblity, but I'm aware of this and I alo really don't think I'm THAT bad of a kid.. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't even really ever leave the house or buy much of anything. Hell, I turned 21 in March and I still haven't even touched a drink for my birthday. I need more responsiblity and I guess to respect my.parents more but I don't really think I'm that bad of a kid...

And as for the career thing again, and the animal thing or whatever, yeah, I do get these changing ideas for things and I've wanted goats, another cat or dog, to build a cat enclosure, a hamster, etc. Within the last year so maybe I think up dumb ideas or some of them I wouldn't carry through (and I think I maybe also have ADD? Not just cause of this but other things too) but I also don't ONLY think about that stuff. Yes, I do tend to think of a lot of things or want to do things or say I'll do them then not do them but I've also thought about other things.

For example, yes animal training sounds stupid but I haven't just thought about "how much fun it would be to work with animals" or whatever. You can make a lot, even the same or more as a normal job, it you do it right and work at it. I know it sounds dumb maybe but that's why I want to become a professional dog trainer and/or would add the psychology or behavioural science part to it, so I'd be even more of a professional and certified/more knowledgeable, and make more. Or I'd just go into normal psychology. If I do that I've thought therapist and/or animal assisted therapy but I think those might be hard on me. But I also realize those all have the potential to make little or a lot and some would make more with a Master's, which I don't necessarily want but have briefly considered, so I've also been trying to think of something else that would make more. But I also don't want some boring desk job. Maybe that's part if adulthood, we'll see, but if I can help it, I want to avoid it. I'd much rather be working with animals or music. Or kids. And speaking of kids, I've also thought about certifying a therapy dog and doing that on the side. Or being a counselor at a camp or something. I actually really want to do this one camp one summer, maybe next, for abused kids. It's this Christian camp and only.one wwek, basically jusy a weke of fun I guess. But I haven't done it yet, even though I heard about it last year, because honestly? I'm terrified. I don't want to mess it up or get hurt or injured or anything. So I never did it. But I think it would be amazing. So I'm trying to convince myself to and honestly I kind of forgot about it until now hahah

And also, yeah my parents are great and do a lot for us and all that and yes, I do need more responsibility, but I'm also dealing with a bunch of other stuff and theyre not always great and it's not like I like sitting here doing nothing with my life..

Yes, that's nit their fault, I could change it, need more responsibility, blah blah but I'm working on it. Well, admittedly not that hard, but I'm getting there.

So yeah, I guess, after all this, maybe I should wait on the chickens and either get no more pets, or simply another cat, you guys are all right (and speaking of the roadtrip thing I actually do want to do that lol) but just because I currently do nothing or don't really have responsibilities and made one slightly immature post doesn't mean I am not aware of that or that I never think about my future..

So yeah.

I'm sorry, this probably got ridiculously long and maybe a little rude or defensive because I kind of just typed as I went and I had more to say than I thought I did plus.it's really hot here and I'm already slightly upset so I probably have like hest stroke or am not right lol so sorry if I came off as rude or defensive or anything.

I guess ai was just a little uoset at all the i have no plans for my future comments :/

Back
Top Bottom