Another sick peacock....

hugs.gif

Perhaps he just landed wrong and was off his feed, seen it happen here, all they would do was drink for a day and it made their poo runny as it cleaned them out.

Glad he is better i know it is hard when they are off and you don't know exactly what the cause is, kinda like having a child but at least i could find a local doctor for my kidos when they needed one, Peas are a whole nother story, ain't got an avian vet within 120 miles that i know of.

No,he's definitely got a respiratory infection, he sounds awful when he vocalizes, like he has terrible bronchitis. He seems to be improving though, sun was out today and he rested in it, then he came up to the house again this evening and I gave him some more treats with medicine, and he was hungry and ate them all.. He also ate breakfast this morning, his regular food. Not a whole lot, but he did eat. We have an avian vet that would be delighted to see him, but it's expensive, and just not sure how I'd cram him AND his train into a dog crate...suppose it could be done, in an emergency, but glad we haven't had to try that yet....Phoenix (our other peacock that was sick) seems to be feeling fine now. Hope he stays that way!!!
duc.gif

What antibiotic are you giving your bird? You can try injecting it into blueberries and feed it to him that way. I doubt you have a wide spread disease and it is mostly from the rainy weather. Sounds like a common cold to me. I would use tylan 200 like I stated for the first sick bird. Save the baytril for a more severe infection.

Learned some things while back at work. I meet a lot of people who come through my line at work and I ask them questions and they give me the answers. I asked a Vet which to give my peacock - baytril or Cipro he said Baytril, it is made for animals and not the Cipro cause it is NOT made for animals. He then said do not give baytril to egg and meat birds. I told him about someone giving thier bird Cipro and he said not a good thing to do that it has more side effects than those made for animals such as liver failure.

No,he's definitely got a respiratory infection, he sounds awful when he vocalizes, like he has terrible bronchitis. He seems to be improving though, sun was out today and he rested in it, then he came up to the house again this evening and I gave him some more treats with medicine, and he was hungry and ate them all.. He also ate breakfast this morning, his regular food. Not a whole lot, but he did eat. We have an avian vet that would be delighted to see him, but it's expensive, and just not sure how I'd cram him AND his train into a dog crate...suppose it could be done, in an emergency, but glad we haven't had to try that yet....Phoenix (our other peacock that was sick) seems to be feeling fine now. Hope he stays that way!!!
duc.gif
If you have an old king size pillow case you can cut a whole in the end just big enough for the peacocks head and neck to fit threw , slip it over his head pull it down over his shoulders and body all the way to his train, secure the case at the base of the tail to keep the tail flat so he can not get out.
Sorry you are going threw this, got to be nerve racking for you
hugs.gif

Last edited:
What antibiotic are you giving your bird? You can try injecting it into blueberries and feed it to him that way. I doubt you have a wide spread disease and it is mostly from the rainy weather. Sounds like a common cold to me. I would use tylan 200 like I stated for the first sick bird. Save the baytril for a more severe infection.

Learned some things while back at work. I meet a lot of people who come through my line at work and I ask them questions and they give me the answers. I asked a Vet which to give my peacock - baytril or Cipro he said Baytril, it is made for animals and not the Cipro cause it is NOT made for animals. He then said do not give baytril to egg and meat birds. I told him about someone giving thier bird Cipro and he said not a good thing to do that it has more side effects than those made for animals such as liver failure.

Oh, ok. Inject Tylan into a blueberry? He doesn't seem to like blueberries, he does like fruit....I've been giving him the crushed Baytril mixed with canned catfood and spread on bread. He likes it, and snapped it all up yesterday. Doing better. I'll look for the Tylan.

Tylan injectable orally once a day will not work as well as when you inject it, but I may work better orally if you give it twice or three times a day. If you get the Tylan, get the 200, not the 50. The 200 has 200mg tylosin per 1 ml, the 50 has just 50mg per 1 ml, so with the 50 you would have to give 4 times as much as the 200. Make sense?

-Kathy

Just to be clear, if one was going to use 1ml of Tylan 200, the amount of Tylan 50 equal to that is 4ml. It's simple math.

.25ml 200 = 1ml 50
.5ml 200 = 2ml 50
1ml 200 = 4ml 50
2ml 200 = 8ml 50

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Last edited:
Here's a list of Cipro products sold at a pet pharmacy:
http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/search/ciprofloxacin.html

And there is this link:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

And this one:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/17.pdf

And like just like Baytril, it should not be fed to meat/egg producing birds.

-Kathy
Click onto your second link and read what it statea about baytril. It states there is NO advantage in using Cipro in place of baytril. Look at the Cipro and it states it causes central nevous system problems. It also says that cipro is a human labeled drug and when you look at the warnings cipro causes liver failure. Baytril does not have any of those warnings so they are NOT the same. Once your birds get a resistance to baytril what will you use in it's place? I would like to know the answer to this question? Your last link states almost the same thing on pages 443 and 444 so I guess that Vet was correct to use baytril and not cipro he even got the human label part correct. I found this and it shows all that are used in animals:
The quinolones have been widely used in agriculture, and several agents have veterinary, but not human, applications.
However, the agricultural use of fluoroquinolones in the U.S. has been restricted since 1997, due to concerns over the development of antibiotic resistance.

Oh, ok. Inject Tylan into a blueberry? He doesn't seem to like blueberries, he does like fruit....I've been giving him the crushed Baytril mixed with canned catfood and spread on bread. He likes it, and snapped it all up yesterday. Doing better. I'll look for the Tylan.
I was using the blueberries as an example. Mine go nuts for them and small grapes. They love watermelon. Either way he is getting the antibiotic. I myself perfer to give it by injection but you cannot catch him to give it to him so you need to find the way you did to give it to him. LOL

I give adults tylan 200 and chicks and young birds tylan 50.

Back
Top Bottom