Any Home Bakers Here?

Sorry Debby, I always over make frosting. For safety and consistency I'd probably reduce 25% I would be afraid 50% would be too much.

Did you know I barely passed math classes? :cool: What would 25% off those ingredients be (if you don't mind me imposing)?

Let me see if I have the reduction figured out right...

2 of the 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese would be reduced to 12 oz
1 cup butter would be reduced to 3/4 cup
7 cups powdered sugar would be reduced to 5 cups + 1/4 cup
1 tsp vanilla would be reduced to 3/4 tsp

Does that sound right?

Question here...

I baked the Hummingbird cake in a 9"x13" pan instead of the 2-layer I always have before. Should I reduce the frosting since there aren't layers to the 9"x13"?

The frosting recipe (for the 2-layer) calls for 2 of the 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, 1 cup of butter, 7 cups powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

That seems like a lot...do you suppose making a 1/2 recipe of the frosting would be enough to cover the 9"x13" cake?
if you are frosting the sides of the cake, it will still use about the same amount of frosting. if leaving it in the pan and only frosting the top, it will likely use about half of the recipe

if you are frosting the sides of the cake, it will still use about the same amount of frosting. if leaving it in the pan and only frosting the top, it will likely use about half of the recipe

Thanks Ron! I have to take it out of the pan to cut into serving sizes tomorrow but I don't need to frost the sides.

Thanks Ron! I have to take it out of the pan to cut into serving sizes tomorrow but I don't need to frost the sides.
I made a frosting recipe for a differente cake a couple of weeks ago and made half of the recipe for the top. It was the perfect amount

I ordered our dogs food there because the local place didn't have it. I had better luck searching specifically for the brand and size I needed Penny.
I paid 1/2 of what TSC charged, and about 2/3 what Walmart charged for a toy.
Their food was a lot cheaper for the last dog, but the same (depending on where I look) for this one’s. With free shipping, and getting it the next day, I love Chewy!! Plus, they are ALWAYS sweet, and refund the cost of the product without asking for it back. I’ve been told some people without pets call in just because they are lonely.
Of course they aren’t perfect, but close enough!

I agree with @ronott1 that half the recipe is all you'll need for the top of the cake.

@N F C how long did you bake it in the 13x9? Same temp?

Without frosting the sides, the 1/2 frosting was just right (but if the sides needed to be frosted, it would have taken more):
100_2372.JPG

I used the same temp to bake the 9"x13" but shortened the baking time by about 10 minutes, give or take, until a toothpick came out clean.

I paid 1/2 of what TSC charged, and about 2/3 what Walmart charged for a toy.
Their food was a lot cheaper for the last dog, but the same (depending on where I look) for this one’s. With free shipping, and getting it the next day, I love Chewy!! Plus, they are ALWAYS sweet, and refund the cost of the product without asking for it back. I’ve been told some people without pets call in just because they are lonely.
Of course they aren’t perfect, but close enough!

I can't get the puppies food at walmart and tsc is too far away and they don't carry the flavor Frank likes. I would rather support a local job but if I can't, Chewy is great.

Back
Top Bottom