Any Home Bakers Here?

How did the Bread Cook and Taste? My husband who does not like my
Breads.....LIKES THE Sourdough Boule. I mixed another loaf yesterday and waiting for Bake today. Aria
It tastes great and cooked in 15 minutes at 425. Not as much lift as I’d like but that’s probably my fault. I love the simplicity of the recipe. It’s super quick to mix and shape, the time is spent waiting for it to rise. I can easily mix this up and leave it while I’m working, then bake afterward for a fresh loaf for dinner. This is the recipe I used

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/sourdough-recipes/simple-sourdough-baguette/

It tastes great and cooked in 15 minutes at 425. Not as much lift as I’d like but that’s probably my fault. I love the simplicity of the recipe. It’s super quick to mix and shape, the time is spent waiting for it to rise. I can easily mix this up and leave it while I’m working, then bake afterward for a fresh loaf for dinner. This is the recipe I used

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/sourdough-recipes/simple-sourdough-baguette/
Great...Thanks for posting the site. Aria

Boule Sourdough: second time baked....This is a keeper. Mixed last night and shaped and baked this morning:
Boule 9.28.2020100_0350.JPG

Pumpkin raisin bars with brown sugar frosting.
D991EF41-28B5-41F5-9329-D787E3A4FF92.jpeg 8CB9B4E3-9711-4079-9C8D-21AB2A86254F.jpeg E477AD97-1D1D-4B31-9B49-58992FED3C63.jpeg

Pumpkin Bars with Brown Sugar Frosting

Yields 9 large or 16 small bars
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 35 minutes Total Time 50 mins

Ingredients
For the bars
1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (7.5 ounces) pumpkin puree

For the frosting
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk, plus more if needed

Directions
To make the bars:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8 by 8-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang.
In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
In another medium bowl whisk together the butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light, fluffy, and smooth. Add in the cinnamon and salt. On low speed gradually add in the powdered sugar until incorporated. Add in the vanilla and milk, and increase the speed to medium-high. Beat until very light and fluffy. If too runny, add more powered sugar, If too thick, add more milk. Spread evenly all over the pumpkin bars.
Cut into squares before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day or in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Howdy, bakers!

We picked a 5 gallon bucket of small sweet apples yesterday. Plenty more to come off of that tree. I made 4 half pints of apple jelly and ran out of lids. Apparently, these are in the preppers closets with all of the toilet paper :rolleyes:

Now I just have to wait for my quart jars to come in so I can can some apple juice. Should be fun. It was bad timing that I gave my mother in law 24 of them the other day. But I'm hoping they will be here by the weekend.

The jelly I made out of the Ball book called for a tablespoon (or 2?) of lemon juice, which I did not have. Do you guys know if it is necessary? And should you use the squeeze bottle or actual lemons? I remember something about the squeeze bottles being more controlled or something to that effect.

Howdy, bakers!

We picked a 5 gallon bucket of small sweet apples yesterday. Plenty more to come off of that tree. I made 4 half pints of apple jelly and ran out of lids. Apparently, these are in the preppers closets with all of the toilet paper :rolleyes:

Now I just have to wait for my quart jars to come in so I can can some apple juice. Should be fun. It was bad timing that I gave my mother in law 24 of them the other day. But I'm hoping they will be here by the weekend.

The jelly I made out of the Ball book called for a tablespoon (or 2?) of lemon juice, which I did not have. Do you guys know if it is necessary? And should you use the squeeze bottle or actual lemons? I remember something about the squeeze bottles being more controlled or something to that effect.
I use ReaLemon. Depending on the jelly, it can make it taste better and set better but I have also omitted it from certain jellies and jams. You could try it both ways to see which you prefer.

Howdy, bakers!

Hi Meg. As I recall the acidity of lemons decreases as they ripen and that is the concern with using fresh lemon juice.

The jar lemon juice is "standardized" to % acid, just like the vinegar is. It is important for some recipes if you are just water-bath canning, but I think apples are OK without additional acid to get the pH right (they don't need it).
I like to use the lemon juice to make sure the color doesn't go dark for applesauce while it is being stored. It adds a nice freshness to the taste of the applesauce too.

I use ReaLemon. Depending on the jelly, it can make it taste better and set better but I have also omitted it from certain jellies and jams. You could try it both ways to see which you prefer.
Thanks, Bob. I was concerned that I was leaving out a food safety factor. Good to know that isn't the case. Do you put butter in your jellies/jams to knock the foam down? I think I boiled the bejesus out of it, until I finally put the butter in, trying to get it up to temp but not boil over the pot. 6 cups of juice and only 4 half pints. According to the recipe, it should've made 6.:confused:
Hi Meg. As I recall the acidity of lemons decreases as they ripen and that is the concern with using fresh lemon juice.
Thanks, Kim! That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom