Any Home Bakers Here?

Yay, I have something good to look forward to! Thanks for that.

About the self-cleaning feature...the first time we used it, there wasn't much in the way of smoke because our house had been vacant for 2 yrs. prior to us and we just wanted to start off fresh. BUT, omg, today was bad! I had to open 2 windows and turn on a ceiling fan to keep the smoke alarm from going off. It did do a good job of turning those nasty blobls into little piles of ashes. Something to keep in mind when you decide to use that feature, I think our oven took about 3 hours to clean and of course you can't use your oven during that time so be sure to plan accordingly.
Thanks for info..I guess that means after the cycle…you still have to clean the residue…I had hoped it would all disappear...

It is really easy to clean out after it cools off.
Remember to remove the oven racks, I didn't and mine lost their shiny clean look and turned kinda burnt looking.

If you have something boil over or spill in the oven, pour salt on it. Use enough to completely cover what spilled. You can continue to bake and then when you are done baking and the oven cools, you can clean up the spill. it should scrape up easily and you can use a hand broom and dust pan. The salt will not work if you dump stuff down the sides though...
wink.png

I was going to post a couple pictures but the little bar at the top of the editor is missing...anyone know how to get it back?

Yay, I can post pictures again...don't know what went goofy with things yesterday, I couldn't even use the Quote button, but this morning all is back to normal.

Anyway, here are the felt chicken ornaments I made. Definitely home-made looking but I like them and they are pretty on our little tree:

And here are the hamburger buns I made yesterday from a new recipe:

One thing I liked about that bun recipe is it only made 6-8. With just the two of us, that's nice.

Yay, I can post pictures again...don't know what went goofy with things yesterday, I couldn't even use the Quote button, but this morning all is back to normal.

Anyway, here are the felt chicken ornaments I made. Definitely home-made looking but I like them and they are pretty on our little tree:

And here are the hamburger buns I made yesterday from a new recipe:

One thing I liked about that bun recipe is it only made 6-8. With just the two of us, that's nice.
I love the chick ornaments, they are quite cute….looks like you sewed with yarn, I like that better than the embroidery thread I'm using on the stockings.

Buns look wonderful.

You have been quite busy.

I love the chick ornaments, they are quite cute….looks like you sewed with yarn, I like that better than the embroidery thread I'm using on the stockings.

Buns look wonderful.

You have been quite busy.

For sewing the felt front and back, I split the 6 strand embroidery thread in half and used 3 strands together for sewing. That's how my grandma taught me to embroider way back when. All the things used were from what I had laying around; the gold leaves used for the combs & wattles were cut off flower picks, the embroidery floss was from a huge bag a gal gave me when she quit doing that, the google eyes and felt were from the craft stash. It was kind of fun to do.

Here's the bun recipe if anyone wants to make them, they were pretty simple.

HAMBURGER BUNS
3/4 - 1 Cup warm water
2 Tab unsalted butter
1 egg
3 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Tab + 2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tab instant yeast
2 Tab melted butter for brushing

1. Mix all ingredients and knead 5-7 minutes to make a soft, smooth dough (should be somewhat moist, not too dry)
2. Put dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover & let rise until almost doubled (1-2 hrs)
3. Gently deflate and divide into 6-8 pieces depending how large you want the buns
4. Shape each piece into a round ball and lightly flatten to about 3" across
5. Place on parchment covered baking sheet, cover & let rest about 1 hr (until noticeably puffy)
6. Brush buns with melted butter
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes or til golden brown. Cool on rack.

On the water, start with the 3/4 Cup first and add a bit more to make the dough soft and smooth.
You could make these small and use them for sliders, probably get 12-15 little buns that way.
Could also sprinkle seeds on them after brushing on the melted butter.

For sewing the felt front and back, I split the 6 strand embroidery thread in half and used 3 strands together for sewing. That's how my grandma taught me to embroider way back when. All the things used were from what I had laying around; the gold leaves used for the combs & wattles were cut off flower picks, the embroidery floss was from a huge bag a gal gave me when she quit doing that, the google eyes and felt were from the craft stash. It was kind of fun to do.

Here's the bun recipe if anyone wants to make them, they were pretty simple.

HAMBURGER BUNS
3/4 - 1 Cup warm water
2 Tab unsalted butter
1 egg
3 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Tab + 2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tab instant yeast
2 Tab melted butter for brushing

1. Mix all ingredients and knead 5-7 minutes to make a soft, smooth dough (should be somewhat moist, not too dry)
2. Put dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover & let rise until almost doubled (1-2 hrs)
3. Gently deflate and divide into 6-8 pieces depending how large you want the buns
4. Shape each piece into a round ball and lightly flatten to about 3" across
5. Place on parchment covered baking sheet, cover & let rest about 1 hr (until noticeably puffy)
6. Brush buns with melted butter
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes or til golden brown. Cool on rack.

On the water, start with the 3/4 Cup first and add a bit more to make the dough soft and smooth.
You could make these small and use them for sliders, probably get 12-15 little buns that way.
Could also sprinkle seeds on them after brushing on the melted butter.
Thanks for recipe…may try in future, and let my machine do the dough cycle.

Wish I had used 3 strings of embroidery thread instead of the 2 that I decided on, I like your hand stitches better...

Thanks for recipe…may try in future, and let my machine do the dough cycle.

Wish I had used 3 strings of embroidery thread instead of the 2 that I decided on, I like your hand stitches better...

And I LOVE your chicken feet ornaments!

Look at these cute snowman cookies! The instructions were in Spanish but if anyone is interested, you could use these ideas on any kind of cookie:

Back
Top Bottom