Any Home Bakers Here?

Thanks, @BullChick those are good things to know! Are they/ should they be in the index in the front of this thread?
The google sheet has a hints tips and how to section. I just added the subs there from Bullchick. There are other subs there already

Hi everyone,

I am having problems understanding a recipe. I would like some input. Fair warning, this is a French Escoffier recipe from Le Guide Culinaire.

Just so you know, I did some math to change the servings for the sauce Bechamel. Original recipe was 22 cups, this recipe only calls for three cups.

Cotelettes de Saumon

500g cooked salmon, no skin and bone
350g cooked mushrooms
150g cooked prawns
3 cups sauce Bechamel, thick
3 egg yolks

Sauce Bechamel

89g white roux
3 cups boiling milk
41g lean veal
Dash finely sliced onions
Dash thyme
7g butter
Pinch pepper
Pinch nutmeg
3g salt

white roux

41g clarified butter
48g flour

Directions:

For white roux, combine clarified butter and flour, and cook in an oven for a few minutes, only sufficient enough to eliminate the rawness of the flour. Allow to cool.

For Sauce Bechamel, mix boiling milk into the roux to obtain a smooth sauce, and bring to a boiling point. Meanwhile, cut the veal into small cubes and stew with the butter without coloring it, adding the onions, seasonings, and thyme. Placed into the sauce and allow it to simmer gently for two hours, and pass through a fine strainer. Coat the surface of the sauce with butter to prevent the formation of a skin.

For Cotelettes de Saumon, cut the salmon, mushrooms, and prawns in the small dice, placing in a shallow pan with the béchamel and reheat to boiling point. Season, and add the egg yolks and cook and mix to thicken the mixture.

Spread the mixture on a buttered tray, butter the surface and allow to get cold. Divide the mixture into 75g pieces and mould into a cutlet shape. Egg and bread crumb and deep fry when required. Serve with a garnish of fried parsley and accompany with a suitable sauce.

Now, here is where I’m having problems understanding the recipe. How are the cutlets held together? Won’t they fall apart if I try to deep fry them?

Can someone help me figure this out?

By the way, if anyone tries this recipe, please let me know.

Jared

@ronott1 I don’t know if you got this recipe for the index. I plan on trying it out eventually. Maybe I’ll try it today.

For reference, when fishing for sturgeon in Idaho, you need to have a strong main line, with a strong leader, and a barrel swivel. You need to have a sliding swivel behind the barrel swivel, and that has to have a lighter lbs test line (lighter than the main line,) on it leading to a weight.
So instead of the weight being tied into the line it has to be on a sliding "spur" line? I wonder why that is, and why the weight has to be on lighter test line.

I added the stuff to the flour. It’s in the notes section, but here are a few common recipes we need in the kitchen.
Self rising flour

1 cup flour

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Powdered sugar

Put sugar in the blender. Don’t do more than about 1/4 the container or it will over heat the motor. It’s just too dry. Add a pinch of cornstarch as anti caking for long storage.

Baking powder

2 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cornstarch (optional as anti caking)

Brown sugar recipe

1 C white sugar

1 Tb molasses

Combine the sugar and molasses in a mixing bowl and then mix with a whisk beater attachment (a fork will work as well, it just might take a little longer) until it combines. Initially, it won't look like it's going to work, but it will. When it is light and fluffy, it is done. If there are a few little spots of molasses in the mix in the end, that is fine. Store in an airtight container.

The recipe for the the powdered sugar does not have an amount for the sugar or the baking powder.

Would you please give the amounts?

I did some baking yesterday. I posted the recipe for Focaccia not long ago, so here is just a modified version I tried. Replaced the tomato slices with pepperoni.:drool:drool:drool
This is like a COUSIN to a pizza. No red sauce, or mozzarella cheese, but still in same tribe.
IMG_20230521_172328956.jpg
.trashed-1687313822-IMG_20230521_172509089.jpg

:drool:drool:drool
Thinking of what other toppings to try next time.:caf

I did some baking yesterday. I posted the recipe for Focaccia not long ago, so here is just a modified version I tried. Replaced the tomato slices with pepperoni.:drool:drool:drool
This is like a COUSIN to a pizza. No red sauce, or mozzarella cheese, but still in same tribe.
View attachment 3515100View attachment 3515101
:drool:drool:drool
Thinking of what other toppings to try next time.:caf

Looks good.

Bakers good afternoon one and all!

The recipes from @BullChick were really good as these are things I don't always have on hand.

Temperature is in the 70s.

Have a great day!
you can grind up any amount of sugar, but do not fill your blender more than 1/4 full. A pinch of corn starch helps to keep it from caking if you store it several weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom