Any Home Bakers Here?

It does not really matter how big of a batch you are making with sourdough. The night before, a sponge is started. The sponge gets nice and sour overnight and the yeast grows. The next morning you add the salt, sugar, oil and etc. along with the rest of the flour. If you want it to go faster, then you would add some yeast then. A teaspoon or two would be enough
Oh my, this sounds a little complicated. I'm anxiously awaiting my starter, but hope it comes with some directions, because I don't really know how to use it. Most of the breads I've made have just been with the yeast packets (unless you want to count the friendship bread starter I had years ago). The starter is dry when received, is that right? Is there some kind of instructions what I do to get it going? Thanks again, Ron. I can't wait to get baking with it. Can I pretty much use any recipe, even ones that calls for dry yeast? I have a pumpkin roll recipe that I make for holidays. I've been told I should start a bakery after people eat the rolls. I'm wondering if the starter could be used for the rolls.

Oh my, this sounds a little complicated. I'm anxiously awaiting my starter, but hope it comes with some directions, because I don't really know how to use it. Most of the breads I've made have just been with the yeast packets (unless you want to count the friendship bread starter I had years ago). The starter is dry when received, is that right? Is there some kind of instructions what I do to get it going? Thanks again, Ron. I can't wait to get baking with it. Can I pretty much use any recipe, even ones that calls for dry yeast? I have a pumpkin roll recipe that I make for holidays. I've been told I should start a bakery after people eat the rolls. I'm wondering if the starter could be used for the rolls.
I just packed up the start for you. There are instructions for re hydrating the starter. I will also send the brochure from Oregon Sourdough to you. I have posted it here before. It is a PDF and has care instructions and recipes

@chickmom3941 try not to overthink the Sourdough Starter. It is pretty easy. Considering it traveled across this great country in a covered wagon, you got it handled. Mine just came out of the fridge after 2 months of neglect - no feeding, stirring or anything. Added flour and water and it is right as rain. It made muffins just fine.

Back
Top Bottom