Any Home Bakers Here?

Howdy, bakers!

We picked a 5 gallon bucket of small sweet apples yesterday. Plenty more to come off of that tree. I made 4 half pints of apple jelly and ran out of lids. Apparently, these are in the preppers closets with all of the toilet paper :rolleyes:

Now I just have to wait for my quart jars to come in so I can can some apple juice. Should be fun. It was bad timing that I gave my mother in law 24 of them the other day. But I'm hoping they will be here by the weekend.

The jelly I made out of the Ball book called for a tablespoon (or 2?) of lemon juice, which I did not have. Do you guys know if it is necessary? And should you use the squeeze bottle or actual lemons? I remember something about the squeeze bottles being more controlled or something to that effect.
My Mom would tell you that it depends on how sour the apples are.

Lemon juice will likely keep the apples from turning brown but I do not care about that!

The jar lemon juice is "standardized" to % acid, just like the vinegar is. It is important for some recipes if you are just water-bath canning, but I think apples are OK without additional acid to get the pH right (they don't need it).
I like to use the lemon juice to make sure the color doesn't go dark for applesauce while it is being stored. It adds a nice freshness to the taste of the applesauce too.
Awesome, thank you. I am water-bath canning. I will pick some up for the rest of my mountains of apples! I'd like to make some applesauce, too.

@Meg-in-MT I think we'll have to see pictures of your canning when you're ready to share!
I couldn't believe I forgot to take pictures! I will get some when I get home. So many apples to go :lol:
I'm lazy, I put the butter in right at the start.
That works for me! That's what I'll be doing from now on.

@BullChick Oh, yum!!
Except for the raisins :oops: Raisins = good, cooked raisins = bad!:sick
But I will try the recipe because it doesn't call for any raisins, lol
I feel the same about onions in meat. I can do raw or sautéed, but don’t put onions in my hamburger meat. :sick
Around ‘84 two children were eating boxed raisins. Then worms began crawling out of their mouths. I rarely eat raw raisins anymore, and admit sometimes even baked is difficult.

I feel the same about onions in meat. I can do raw or sautéed, but don’t put onions in my hamburger meat. :sick
Around ‘84 two children were eating boxed raisins. Then worms began crawling out of their mouths. I rarely eat raw raisins anymore, and admit sometimes even baked is difficult.
I almost used raisins with weevils in oat meal cookies!

omg-1.gif

Back
Top Bottom