Any Pet Betta Fish Lovers? Photos Welcome!

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
hello all, i have a male betta fish named "Leif" here is a photo of him...

bad photo, but there he is!
any advice or wisdom on anything about Bettas?

:/  Yeah, that's true.

Cool!

Wow pretty! Sorry he died :(

Nice! I didn't know they ate tadpoles!

x2 bigger is always better; if you are able to get bigger aquariums, your bettas would like it. However, if you change enough of the water every day, the ammonia levels will not get too high.
It's not really about the ammonia (although that is an issue), it's just about them not having enough space to move about in. And a smaller body of water will get dirtier quicker. Also, most people don't even give their betta's a filter. And while betta's can handle dirtier water than a lot of other breeds, it doesn't mean they like it or that it's good for their health.

Last edited:
I used to have one, but I don't have any good pictures. She was a friendly little fish!
Mine liked bugs. I used to catch mosquitoes for her to eat. I don't know if it was good for her or not, but she LOVED that! A fly fell into her aquarium one night, and she attacked it. I don't remember if she killed it, but if she didn't, she almost did! It was hilarious to watch!

Your betta is pretty! Mine was kind of plain-looking LOL!

aww
love.gif
she sounds so cute! one time, a fly fell into Leif's bubble nest, he attacked it like crazy. lol. the reason yours was kinda plain looking, is because it was female.males have longer tails to attract females, and keep away enemies. females are rare for 2 reasons, stores don't usually sell them because they don't want people breeding bettas, (understandable) and because, in the wild, after the female lays the eggs, the male kills her. he kills her so she won't eat the eggs she just layed. (yes, it is true, bettas have teeth and that is what he kills her with) the males build bubble nests because they act as the cases for the eggs. it is also a sign they are happy and think this is the perfect, safe place for young bettas. (sorry, this is getting a little disgusting, but it is just nature.) now, people who breed bettas usually scoop the female out so she won't get killed, and then put her in a seperate tank, so they can breed her again with another male.
wow, i said a lot.
Thanks For Joining!
~Chickensfan

Last edited:
hi,
yes, whenever i get a pet, i research about it in books like crazy! maybe females where more common then, but i don't think so. see, like i said, males kill females, even back then. that is what makes them rare. stores make them seem even more rare then they actually are because they usually only carry 2/3.
~Chickensfan

hi,
yes, whenever i get a pet, i research about it in books like crazy! maybe females where more common then, but i don't think so. see, like i said, males kill females, even back then. that is what makes them rare. stores make them seem even more rare then they actually are because they usually only carry 2/3.
~Chickensfan
Oh, ok. I don't remember how many were there. It was about ...... eight years ago, maybe.
I usually research as much as possible before I get a pet, but there wasn't that much I found about bettas! I should have done, more, though. I hope she didn't suffer too much from my lack of knowledge!

Oh, ok. I don't remember how many were there. It was about ...... eight years ago, maybe.
I usually research as much as possible before I get a pet, but there wasn't that much I found about bettas! I should have done, more, though. I hope she didn't suffer too much from my lack of knowledge!
i am sure she didn't suffer! did she seem happy to you? i am sure she was. and by the way...females don't make bubble nests, so you can't exactly tell if they are happy or not.
but i am sure she was very happy.
~Chickensfan

i am sure she didn't suffer! did she seem happy to you? i am sure she was. and by the way...females don't make bubble nests, so you can't exactly tell if they are happy or not.
but i am sure she was very happy.
~Chickensfan
Yeah, I think so. She would rest at the bottom of her aquarium and when I came into the room, she got up and starting swimming around, so I think she liked people. She did seem kinda bored sometimes, but I suppose it's hard to tell if a fish is bored LOL.

Yeah, I think so. She would rest at the bottom of her aquarium and when I came into the room, she got up and starting swimming around, so I think she liked people. She did seem kinda bored sometimes, but I suppose it's hard to tell if a fish is bored LOL.
she was probably exited to see you! Betta fish learn to recognize faces. mine starts swimming in circles when he wants food. lol. he loves food.

Back
Top Bottom