Anyone else EXCITED to be getting baby chicks in the mail soon??

steelersfan43

Songster
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
NE IN
What kinds are you getting? When are they coming? How many are you expecting? You can also say where you ordered them from if you would like, then maybe you can update and say how they are doing when you get them etc.

We are expecting 5 eastereggers, 5 bluelaced red wyandotts, 5, speckled sussex, 5 blue silkies, 5 salmon favorelles, and 3 silver spangled hamburgs, then the 1 mystery chicken. All from Murray McMurray. Due to be here on Feb 8

We are really excited
wee.gif
wee.gif
Hope they all get here ok
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!
I won't be getting my chicks until the first week in May. My list keeps changing. It was suppose to be 3 easter eggers, 3 turkens, 3 dorkings and 3 special sussex, but I'm liking turkens more and more so I'll probably get 5 of them and only two each of the dorkings and sussex.

I know what you mean about changing your mind...Now I'm wishing I would have ordered a couple blue andalusians. What I would really love would be get some lavender ororpingtons. Maybe next time.
wink.png

lol yes but not in mail on the third im going to pick up some button quail pheasants and cochins and just got some adult birds in the mail survived longest trip ever from california to ohio and im still excited about them

the more pictures I see, the more excited I get. I can't wait till they get here so I can post some pics. This is the first time we have ordered them from a catalog so I'm curious about the "packing peanuts" that I've heard so much about.

I am ordering from Purely Poultry... I will tell you how it goes. Cannot place order until after Feb 1st.

The list has changed a good dozen times, but as it stands right now...
I am planning on getting -

The following are for a breeding experiment for future egg selling (just to keep me busy - I was a pre-vet student and vet tech and genetics is fun to me):

2 Welsummer roos (hoping for one good one)
3 Welsummer pullets (leaves a margin of error for a roo... see above)
3 Green layer pullets
3 Blue egg Ameracaunas pullets
2 Cherry Egger pullets (I still cannot find the difference between these and Production Reds)

And since I would like to have hens brood my eggs most likely (I once left friendship bread in the oven for 3 hours so incubating scares me. Note: Friendship bread does not burn but does become FRIENDSHIP BRICKS, which could be used to build a great coop! LOL):

BANTAMS:
3 Silkies
3 Cochins

I may throw in 2 or 3 of the following just for kicks:

BANTAMS:
Sultans
Seramas

The Bantams are straight run only... so I am taking my chances on geting hens (or at leas A hen)... or a particularly personable rooster that one of the kids (17 yo boy in particular, and a 14 yo girl that is keen on stealing my broodies!) might like.
Extra roos has gotta go I am afraid!

Last edited:
I'm just hoping I can survive raising the one's I've hatched.

I'll never put that many eggs in the bator at once ever again.

:flgonna get lots of chickens and have myself a chicken plantation and raise a little chicken football team and start my very own sport of little chicken football. I'm debating on which chickens i want due to different colors and all. Gotta figure out how to get all these roosters to work together without em killing their own teammates off! poor fellers hope all works out with this endeavor!
lol.png
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, that will be neat. My husband really wants to get into the genetics eventually. Its pretty interesting. I bet someone might like to see a picture of your friendship brick chicken house
lol.png
Where is Purely Poultry? We had to pre-order our eggs months ago because they are now all out of the ones we want. Good luck with getting some hens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom