Anyone else EXCITED to be getting baby chicks in the mail soon??

I ordered from Ideal and are waiting on brabanters, so I have no idea when they're shipping (should be March).

So, on their way are:

5 Brabanters (white eggs)
10 EE's (green/blue/tinted)
5 GL Wyandottes (brown)
5 cuckoo Marans (hopefully darkish brown)

I'm only going to keep 5, so will craigslist the rest. I can't wait!!
smile.png

I ordered my box of fluffy cuteness just a few minutes ago. It is about half what I originally wanted, but that's ok. They were sold out of a lot of breeds I was interested in.

My huband caught me browsing the Ideal website a couple of days ago and said "Well, if it is going to take them 5 months to start laying, do you think maybe we should order them now?" I about had a heart attack! I didn't think we really had the money to get any yet, but he has been saving some up for me! That man has really gotten to be a bad influence on my animal collection...I got permission for chickens, two turkeys, and to keep ALL my female goat kids this year instead of just one!
big_smile.png

We ordered their weekly special for this week, the 99 cent bantam assortment. We are getting 25 of them, and they are being hatched/shipped tomorrow. I was a bit worried about getting a ton of silkies, since I don't care for them, but my husband saw a photo of a silky and decided he really likes them and hopes we get some--especially in white (not my favorite color lol)! At least hopefully they'll end up as broodies. I'm hoping for Cornish bantams, D'uccle, and Old English game.

Believe me! You are not alone in your excitement! My first chicks are being shipped tomorrow and I swear I feel like an expectant mother!!! Brooder and coop are ready for my 5 babies!

picking mine up tomorrow from Meyer Hatchery her in Ohio.
getting 10 a mix of buff orps, barred rocks and wyandotts.
trash picked 51 gallon rubbermaid tote brooder is set up, keeping temp and just waiting...
wish me luck ,,

We are SO excited to be getting our 4 little Red Star girl chicks in the mail from MyPetChicken.com the week of April 14th. We've never had chickens before! Somehow, my 13 year-old daughter talked me (easy) and my husband (less easy) into letting her raise some chicks. The two of them are now building an awesome coop together and we read through these forum threads every night trying to glean tips and ideas. :) (So scared!!!! **giggle**)

My baby chicks arrived yesterday morning from chickensforbackyards.com. The barred rock chick was a little wobbly for a little while but was soon drinking and eating and chirping like the rest! These are my first flock and consist of one each of 5 different breeds. I've identified 4 of them so by process of elimination the 5 thrust be my Easter Egger ( which I understand is not a true breed) but she is pure yellow. Every pic I've seen of an EE has had brown mixed coloring. So, can anyone tell me if my pure yellow chick is an EE? I got one because I wanted the tinted egg color. All of my others are brown egg layers.

We're getting our chicks mailed from Murray McMurray the week of April 21st. Looking forward to getting:

3 Gold Sex Link
4 Black Australorp
4 Barred Rock
4 Speckled Sussex
Plus they'll be sending us 1 Mystery Chick

Can hardly wait to get them!

picking mine up tomorrow from Meyer Hatchery her in Ohio.
getting 10 a mix of buff orps, barred rocks and wyandotts.
trash picked 51 gallon rubbermaid tote brooder is set up, keeping temp and just waiting...
wish me luck ,,

Good luck and have fun! I looked over the Meyer Hatchery before deciding to go with Murray McMurray (they had the lower shipping charges for our location). Meyer's has a really good website and the paper catalog I requested from them is so informative with terrific pictures. Enjoy your new little ones!

My baby chicks arrived yesterday morning from chickensforbackyards.com. The barred rock chick was a little wobbly for a little while but was soon drinking and eating and chirping like the rest! These are my first flock and consist of one each of 5 different breeds. I've identified 4 of them so by process of elimination the 5 thrust be my Easter Egger ( which I understand is not a true breed) but she is pure yellow. Every pic I've seen of an EE has had brown mixed coloring. So, can anyone tell me if my pure yellow chick is an EE? I got one because I wanted the tinted egg color. All of my others are brown egg layers.

Our EE was a sandy color with black markings. She's the most gorgeous bird now that she is about 4 mos old. It's my understanding that since EE's are not a true breed, they can be just about any color.

Back
Top Bottom