Anyone else hear about the postage from hatcheries?

anderstr196

Songster
Nov 12, 2018
NW Alabama
I just received this from Ideal Hatchery...:barnie
S.gif

S.gif

04f43901-4b36-4e2e-998e-718ec0e85cd2.png

S.gif

Important Announcement
Regarding USPS Shipping Rates
S.gif

Dear Ideal Poultry Customer,

I am asking you to write your congressman and the United States Postal Rate Commission about the United States Postal Service postage rate changes that were announced on May 3, 2019 and will be effective June 23, 2019. The new postage rates will dramatically increase the postage costs for the larger packages that are shipped in the backyard poultry industry. In some instances the increase is over 80%.

Due to the USPS dramatically increasing postage, we will be forced to raise our prices yet again. We normally review Postage, Labor, and Feed increases once per year to set our prices, which we did in November. The USPS has already raised prices in January, and we budgeted for that. However, this new increase of nearly 80% will force our hatchery to increase our prices by nearly 10 cents per chick on the average.

The backyard poultry hatcheries already pay a premium for live animal air shipments of 20 cents per pound therefore already being charged more than any other industry not shipping live animals. We are asking that the USPS make an exception for companies who pay this live surcharge for these new increased rates.

The USPS is going to be charging dimensional weight on all parcels leaving our hatchery that are over a cubic foot. Zones 1 – 4 were previously charged the actual weight of the package. The divisor used to figure the pounds to be charges was 194 and will be changed to 166. (Length X Width X Height divided by 166). Every shipment leaving our hatchery will have a higher postage amount. Some shipments will be shipped in two boxes even if they could have fit in one box.

Please help us out by sending a letter or an email today. We have attached a sample letter you may use. We appreciate any help you can give us to keep backyard poultry shipments coming your way.

Here is a link to contact the Postal Regulatory Commission: https://www.prc.gov/contact/

Here is a link to find your Congressman’s address: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

Best Regards,

Janet F Crouch
Vice President

CustomDivider.png

Here is a sample letter you are welcome to use.

Dear Congressman,

It was announced on May 3, 2019 that there will be a dramatic postage rate increase for larger packages shipped by the backyard poultry industry effective June 23, 2019. This nearly 80% increase in postage will force hatcheries to raise pricing per chick to nearly 10¢ more. This type of increase is severely damaging to the poultry industry and the rural families that support it.

Currently, backyard poultry hatcheries pay a premium for live animal air shipments of 20¢ per pound. This is more than any other industry not shipping live animals. The economic strain forced on small businesses because of these new postage rates will have dire effects and unintended consequences. We ask that the USPS make an exception for companies who pay this surcharge and appeal the new postage rates so the rural families, like myself, can continue to enjoy our flocks and feed our families.

CustomDivider.png

We appreciate all of your support!!!
S.gif

S.gif

S.gif

Ideal PoultryPO Box 591Cameron, TX 76520
Unsubscribe [email protected]
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by [email protected]in collaboration with

Try email marketing for free today!

Ya it sucks but prices of everything are going up.
If I want hatchery chicks I'll b!tch but still buy them.
IMO when it comes down to it most will do the same.
Look at what places like MPC charges now for shipping and people don't seem to have a problem paying it.

I just received this from Ideal Hatchery...:barnie

I received the same email from Ideal.
This is ridiculous raising prices that much. :barnie
I don't live that far from Ideal so I can drive there and pick up the birds when I order them. :D
S.gif

S.gif

04f43901-4b36-4e2e-998e-718ec0e85cd2.png

S.gif

Important Announcement
Regarding USPS Shipping Rates
S.gif

Dear Ideal Poultry Customer,

I am asking you to write your congressman and the United States Postal Rate Commission about the United States Postal Service postage rate changes that were announced on May 3, 2019 and will be effective June 23, 2019. The new postage rates will dramatically increase the postage costs for the larger packages that are shipped in the backyard poultry industry. In some instances the increase is over 80%.

Due to the USPS dramatically increasing postage, we will be forced to raise our prices yet again. We normally review Postage, Labor, and Feed increases once per year to set our prices, which we did in November. The USPS has already raised prices in January, and we budgeted for that. However, this new increase of nearly 80% will force our hatchery to increase our prices by nearly 10 cents per chick on the average.

The backyard poultry hatcheries already pay a premium for live animal air shipments of 20 cents per pound therefore already being charged more than any other industry not shipping live animals. We are asking that the USPS make an exception for companies who pay this live surcharge for these new increased rates.

The USPS is going to be charging dimensional weight on all parcels leaving our hatchery that are over a cubic foot. Zones 1 – 4 were previously charged the actual weight of the package. The divisor used to figure the pounds to be charges was 194 and will be changed to 166. (Length X Width X Height divided by 166). Every shipment leaving our hatchery will have a higher postage amount. Some shipments will be shipped in two boxes even if they could have fit in one box.

Please help us out by sending a letter or an email today. We have attached a sample letter you may use. We appreciate any help you can give us to keep backyard poultry shipments coming your way.

Here is a link to contact the Postal Regulatory Commission: https://www.prc.gov/contact/

Here is a link to find your Congressman’s address: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

Best Regards,

Janet F Crouch
Vice President

CustomDivider.png

Here is a sample letter you are welcome to use.

Dear Congressman,

It was announced on May 3, 2019 that there will be a dramatic postage rate increase for larger packages shipped by the backyard poultry industry effective June 23, 2019. This nearly 80% increase in postage will force hatcheries to raise pricing per chick to nearly 10¢ more. This type of increase is severely damaging to the poultry industry and the rural families that support it.

Currently, backyard poultry hatcheries pay a premium for live animal air shipments of 20¢ per pound. This is more than any other industry not shipping live animals. The economic strain forced on small businesses because of these new postage rates will have dire effects and unintended consequences. We ask that the USPS make an exception for companies who pay this surcharge and appeal the new postage rates so the rural families, like myself, can continue to enjoy our flocks and feed our families.

CustomDivider.png

We appreciate all of your support!!!
S.gif

S.gif

S.gif

Ideal PoultryPO Box 591Cameron, TX 76520
Unsubscribe [email protected]
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by [email protected]in collaboration with

Try email marketing for free today!

"This nearly 80% increase in postage will force hatcheries to raise pricing per chick to nearly 10¢ more."

The postage increase is outrageous but resulting in less than 10 cents per chick is little to cry about.

USPS is ensuring the increasing Amazon trend and more are pushed directly on UPS and Fed Ex. The post office does not need it increase in size for commerce sake.

There's bad news about the Postal Service in this article where Fortune magazine (a business publication) scooped some memos that are going around the Postal Service about cutting overtime.

This is especially worrying for everyone who wants to receive chicks in the mail because the private shippers like FedEx and UPS do not ship live chicks. You can still get your Amazon packages of merchandise even if they ship it with a private service, but I'm afraid about chicks in the US being DOA in the future with the talk about leaving mail sitting at stations for more time than usual.

Folks who depend on hatcheries for getting chicks, please do what you can to support the Postal Service and, of course, support your closest hatchery or local chicken breeder!

I think we can expect to hear more from some of the hatcheries about these Postal Service management issues, because they directly threaten hatchery businesses.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-mail-delivery-postmaster-general-louis-dejoy-us-postal-service/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom