April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Bummer. That does happen sometimes. I had a Leghorn hen once I couldn't ever hatch an egg from. Made me really sad. She was one of my favorite hens ever.
Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed. But sometimes things just go sideways. I had someone order 12 chicks from me and I should have enough already hatched to cover my own butt if I get a bad hatch rate.

I had some trouble with these round, brown eggs last hatch, too 🤔 late quitters that I chalked up to my own failed dry hatch experiment.

Woke up to a baby this morning :jumpy :celebratelittle brown speckled egg is a very cute black chick with black legs:love sorry for the poor quality photos this little dude has a while to wait before it can come out of the incubator:jumpy the blue egg next to it is pipped and hopefully will hatch out today. The other four have not externally pipped yet.:caf

Attachments

• 91C43FDC-ED3B-4289-86CE-E0B08A7678F7.jpeg
    91C43FDC-ED3B-4289-86CE-E0B08A7678F7.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 4
  • 2260E4A1-D4E9-4F14-9AB3-522DBA1A0749.jpeg
    2260E4A1-D4E9-4F14-9AB3-522DBA1A0749.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 4
Yay! Is the daily cooling period necessary? I realized yesterday I never had it on.. and now I’m worried that’s why I had two chicks quit.
Brisnea only added the feature in 2012. Lots and lots of people to this day don't have or use one and hatch successfully. Quitters can occur for myriad reasons. I don't have enough experience to say if the cooler gives better hatch rates. This is my first hatch! plan not to use the coooler on my next hatch so I can start gathering some comparison data.

Back
Top Bottom