Attn: Omelet Run Owners

Ground stakes = orange spirals in the photo.
Ratchet straps = yellow straps in photo.

I first used 2 orange stakes on either side of the run with 2 yellow traps running across the top of the run.

View attachment 3183769

This was ugly, and probably wouldn't prevent the run from shearing sideways, and I like to overdo everything, so I now have the ground stakes on the *inside* of the run, one in each corner. Then a set of smaller ratchet straps connect the stakes making an X, flat against each side of the run. This holds it from blowing away and from shearing, depending on the wind direction. I don't have a good photo of this setup that I have now, but you get the idea.

When I was first building the WIR, I had started to put tarps on it, and it got late so I stopped for the day. The wind changed direction overnight (from S to N) and we had some crazy gusts, because I woke up to find my (unoccupied - chickens hadn't moved in yet) run about 80 ft away, and impaled on my garden fence. Was able to get it unstuck and my husband and I walked it back to where it was supposed to be. Amazingly, despite some damage that had to be bent back into shape and re-zip tied, it still is very sturdy! I think I only had one panel that was too warped to be usable anymore. And this story is why I know you need ground stakes and ratchet straps if you live in a windy area. 😆

I really do love the WIR, particularly how customizable it is. It's pretty easy to pop a panel out and connect or move a coop or attach another smaller run or tunnel. I've reconfigured mine several times in the 8 months or so that I've had it.
I'm very grateful for your reply, since I wouldn't have figured this out myself! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having "a set of smaller ratchet straps connect the stakes making an X, flat against each side of the run." Does this diagram illustrate your set up? The red lines represent the stakes and the yellow lines represent the racket straps.

Stakes-and-rachet-straps.jpg

I've got another question. How predator proof is it? I plan to add hardware cloth, but we've got some serious predators here. Would it hold up if a predator climbed/jumped on it? Like a raccoon or even a dog or coyote?

I've got another question. How predator proof is it? I plan to add hardware cloth, but we've got some serious predators here. Would it hold up if a predator climbed/jumped on it? Like a raccoon or even a dog or coyote?
I put HWC about 4’ on all sides. I think it would definitely hold up to a dog/fox/coyote. Not sure about a bear - not something we have in my area. A bigger risk would be digging under, but that’s what the (included) skirt is for.

I also don’t have perches high enough that it would be possible for a hawk to grab them through the panels- the perches are low enough that the HWC protects against that.

The wire it’s made of is very study - canines would have a hard time chewing through it. That said, I don’t ever let mine spend the night out in the run b/c i’m too nervous, even with the extra precautions.

I'm very grateful for your reply, since I wouldn't have figured this out myself! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having "a set of smaller ratchet straps connect the stakes making an X, flat against each side of the run." Does this diagram illustrate your set up? The red lines represent the stakes and the yellow lines represent the racket straps.

View attachment 3183860
Yes that’s exactly how I did it. Same on all 4 sides (more or less - have to make some adjustments depending on where you place your door). I put the stakes and straps on the inside of the run- more secure and less risk of tripping over them.

I also have the Omlet walk-in run, for pretty much the same reason as the OP. I know I "could build something," but I just wanted to mindlessly put something together! Mine is under some pretty dense tree cover so the wind isn't too bad, but it feels very sturdy. I did zip-tie the heck out of it too though. I used screw in stakes all the way around the skirt and zip-tied 3' of hardware cloth up the sides.
PXL_20220707_211541329.jpg

This is great info! I'm not too worried about bears. Where it's going is in an area it would be hard for a bear to get to. In my experience, our bears here are opportunists and a bit lazy. They'd rather raid our garbage cans or get into chicken feed than have to deal with live chickens.

I watched a couple of videos about how these are put together, and it made me a tad leery. I had kind of made up my mind to make something out of hog panels, but I might rethink that decision based on this thread.

I live on the side of a hill. We get very little wind. And the area this would occupy is a former flower bed that is surrounded by pavers, so digging won't be an issue.

It'll probably come down to cost: hog panels and wire connectors vs the Omelet run. It's time to crunch numbers - lol!

Ground stakes = orange spirals in the photo.
Ratchet straps = yellow straps in photo.

I first used 2 orange stakes on either side of the run with 2 yellow traps running across the top of the run.

View attachment 3183769

This was ugly, and probably wouldn't prevent the run from shearing sideways, and I like to overdo everything, so I now have the ground stakes on the *inside* of the run, one in each corner. Then a set of smaller ratchet straps connect the stakes making an X, flat against each side of the run. This holds it from blowing away and from shearing, depending on the wind direction. I don't have a good photo of this setup that I have now, but you get the idea.

When I was first building the WIR, I had started to put tarps on it, and it got late so I stopped for the day. The wind changed direction overnight (from S to N) and we had some crazy gusts, because I woke up to find my (unoccupied - chickens hadn't moved in yet) run about 80 ft away, and impaled on my garden fence. Was able to get it unstuck and my husband and I walked it back to where it was supposed to be. Amazingly, despite some damage that had to be bent back into shape and re-zip tied, it still is very sturdy! I think I only had one panel that was too warped to be usable anymore. And this story is why I know you need ground stakes and ratchet straps if you live in a windy area. 😆

I really do love the WIR, particularly how customizable it is. It's pretty easy to pop a panel out and connect or move a coop or attach another smaller run or tunnel. I've reconfigured mine several times in the 8 months or so that I've had it.

Back
Top Bottom