August Hatch-A-Long

I had problems with my homemade incubator also.  It would have random temp spikes that caused me to order a hovabator 1602N during middle of a hatch. I picked the hovabator up on Ebay for around $40 and finished the hatch in it.  The hovabator works pretty well and was easy to clean up after the hatch. It also holds a pretty constant temperature with it located in a house with central A/C, so I don't have big temperature swings in the room it is located in. BTW the homemade incubator is working much better now since I switched from a bi-metal to a wafer thermostat. Now it maintains less than 1 degree of temp variance.
. I just got a reptipro egg turner(its was very hard to find an egg turner that fit inside the cooler) maybe that will help with the egg development. If I have another bad hatch im going to buy a hovabator.

What size rocks? I also have trouble keeping the heat during the night. I lose 3 degrees :barnie
I have read of people just sterilizing landscaping gravel. I used a flat rock about 4"x5" due to space issues. I like the mason jars filled with water, too. I kept lids on til day 18 lockdown then took them off cuz humidity is freakishly low where I live & my bator needs all the humidity help it can get! I have 5 sponges, a humidity tray lining 1/2 the bottom, & I still couldn't achieve 65% for more than 1 hour til I got the genius idea to place the bator inside a much larger plastic tub filled with a few inches of water. It has stayed at 68% most of the day! I was really worried there for a bit.

The final count for our first hatching was 8 out of 12. We purchased the eggs, so we are happy to get 66%. We will have our breeding suites finished soon and will be able to use our own eggs. I have dubbed it the "Adam and Eve center for reproductive studies". Maybe I could get a grant for it, but not likely, since the nesting coupe is named the "Ronald Reagan center for economic growth".  
Awesome! I'm happy for you, enjoy your new little fuzzies. :)

I have read of people just sterilizing landscaping gravel. I used a flat rock about 4"x5" due to space issues. I like the mason jars filled with water, too. I kept lids on til day 18 lockdown then took them off cuz humidity is freakishly low where I live & my bator needs all the humidity help it can get! I have 5 sponges, a humidity tray lining 1/2 the bottom, & I still couldn't achieve 65% for more than 1 hour til I got the genius idea to place the bator inside a much larger plastic tub filled with a few inches of water. It has stayed at 68% most of the day! I was really worried there for a bit.

So do you put the rock were you put water? I have a drawer thing to put water in.

Back
Top Bottom