Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Blood egg and meat spots are far more common than we are led to believe. In the commercial egg industry eggs are electronically candled to prevent them ever making it onto our supermarket shelves. They are apparently sold to bakeries where we are ' none the wiser ' .
I try to avoid adding moisture to food as it increases the likelihood of mould spores. Wet feed also provides a great environment for cocidia to ' go forth and multiply '.

I don't know what us relatively 'new to chooks' people would do without you all. ...
love.gif

Thank you Fancychooklady ... for this very helpful advice. ... much appreciated.

Fascinating ( and somewhat disconcerting ) to know that 'blood eggs' are given to bakeries, which is kind of snide in a way, although we have eaten one recently as said - and we are still here !!!
big_smile.png
More than possible we have eaten many more than that, at the beginning my 5 ( now 3 ) chickens laying lives ?? ... and to think that electronic candling is done for supermarket eggs ... just goes to show !

Should I NOT add water to my special 'mix' which they dammed near bowl me over to get to ? One in particular tries to fly up and perch on my arm - to get first dibs --- ( that's Molly RIR ) ...

The cooked white rice I add, is always somewhat 'moist' ... and all the rest is dry plus vegetables which have a certain amount of water in them. ... So far so good with that, from where my chooks sit - as they are total gutzes and know - just KNOW when I am preparing it - how they know I cannot fathom. !!
droolin.gif
If there is a skerik of it left, I take it away from them before ' bed '. There is rarely a trace left, however. ... I still take the bowls and wash them thoroughly. Have now got 8 bowls for 3 chooks, on a rotation basis !!! .... My 3 sweeties all obey my command of
" BED " ... and trot happily into their coops - no matter the time of the afternoon / evening. - They have not yet learned, the word 'NO' however !!!
hu.gif

I will keep my super ( according to them !! ) 'mix' drier in future. They do get themselves into a big mess when eating it, I must admit. And constantly wiping their beaks on a few concrete pavers, most likely gives them another small go at any remaining ' wet' bits.

Opened just one, not two - this evening - a recent egg ( 1 day old ) - broke the yolk - and presto - all was normal. ... A normal yolk, nicely rich coloured, no rivers of blood, so I think the first two I used ( from when they began laying ) were the result of returning to lay, after a long drought. !!

Glad to know that everyone's chickens seem to be producing again now .... and hey - the currawongs were correct with their singing announcements ... we are in for more really cold weather - which no doubt you will also have down south there.

Many thanks again ..

Cheers -- Anniebee.

Last edited:
Howdy friends
frow.gif

Thank you for the congrats on both my little girls first eggs. Thank you also for all the helpful information on blood spots etc.

Love the adorable cuteness CallMeQuackers

Congrats on all the eggs Sam and satay

Because KiKi laid her first egg this week, she thought she would have a spa-day, you know, work on the tan, get a new do .. smooth out those frizzle feathers:

Before:

After:

Yep, that is the same chicken, amazing what a day at the spa can achieve!
wink.png
wow! she is very cute!
love.gif

Howdy friends :frow Thank you for the congrats on both my little girls first eggs. Thank you also for all the helpful information on blood spots etc. Love the adorable cuteness CallMeQuackers Congrats on all the eggs Sam and satay Because KiKi laid her first egg this week, she thought she would have a spa-day, you know, work on the tan, get a new do .. smooth out those frizzle feathers: Before: After: Yep, that is the same chicken, amazing what a day at the spa can achieve! ;)
I would have never guessed that was the same chicken. I'm tempted to defizz my polish frizzle roo now, just to see what he looks like straight feathered lol

Awesome!  They must be working hard to stay off the chopping block!  LOL!  

LOL they wanna be first egg was laid when they were 7 mths old. Now I'm getting egg Adam from my 3 young ones and egg every two days from older hen Rooroo. ( she is top hen and is 3 yr 8 mths old)

Thanks Annie and Teila for comments about my eggs.

Teila Kiki is gorgeous frizzle or no

Howdy friends :frow Thank you for the congrats on both my little girls first eggs. Thank you also for all the helpful information on blood spots etc. Love the adorable cuteness CallMeQuackers Congrats on all the eggs Sam and satay Because KiKi laid her first egg this week, she thought she would have a spa-day, you know, work on the tan, get a new do .. smooth out those frizzle feathers: Before: After: Yep, that is the same chicken, amazing what a day at the spa can achieve! ;)
Love wet frizzles. Your girl looks much better than mine does wet for sure.

I don't know what us relatively 'new to chooks' people would do without you all.   ... :love

Thank you  Fancychooklady ... for this very helpful advice.  ... much appreciated.  

Fascinating ( and somewhat disconcerting ) to know that 'blood eggs' are given to bakeries, which is kind of snide in a way, although we have eaten one recently as said  - and we are still here !!!  :D   More than  possible we have eaten many more than that, at the beginning my 5 ( now 3 ) chickens laying lives ??  ... and to think that electronic candling is done for supermarket eggs ... just goes to show ! 

Should  I NOT add water to my special 'mix' which they dammed  near bowl me over to get to ?  One in particular tries to fly up and perch on my arm - to get first dibs --- ( that's Molly RIR ) ...

The cooked white rice I add, is always somewhat 'moist' ... and  all the rest is dry plus vegetables which have a certain amount of water in them.   ... So far so good with that, from where my chooks sit - as they are total gutzes and know - just KNOW when I am preparing it  - how they know I cannot fathom. !!  :drool    If there is a skerik of it left, I take it away from them before ' bed '.   There is rarely a trace left, however.   ... I still take the bowls and wash them thoroughly.   Have now got 8 bowls for 3 chooks, on a rotation basis !!!    .... My 3  sweeties  all obey my command of
" BED " ... and trot happily into their coops - no matter the time of the afternoon / evening.   - They have not yet learned, the word 'NO' however  !!! :confused:

I will keep my super ( according to them !! ) 'mix'  drier in future.   They do get themselves into a big mess when eating it, I must admit.  And constantly wiping their beaks on a few concrete pavers, most likely gives them another small go at any remaining ' wet' bits. 

Opened just one, not two -  this evening - a recent egg ( 1 day old ) -  broke the yolk - and presto - all was normal.  ... A  normal yolk, nicely rich coloured, no rivers of blood, so I think the first two I used ( from when they began laying ) were the result of returning to lay, after a long drought. !!  

Glad to know that everyone's chickens seem to be producing again now .... and hey - the currawongs were correct with their singing announcements ... we are in for more really cold weather - which no doubt you will also have down south there.

Many thanks again ..

Cheers -- Anniebee.  
Thats great news that your eggs have returned to normal.

Thanks all … yep, KiKi is a cutie and IF we had favourites ……..
wink.png

PS. She was not wet in the After shot .. that was the result of 30 minutes in the dust bath trying to bury herself and her sister!
lau.gif

Love the T-Shirt satay!

Thanks all … yep, KiKi is a cutie and IF we had favourites …….. ;)

PS.  She was not wet in the After shot .. that was the result of 30 minutes in the dust bath trying to bury herself and her sister! :lau

Love the T-Shirt satay!

I hadn't clicked on the picture when I commented . When I did I could see she had just had a straightening. :D I've never seen mine do that to such an extreme.

Hey satay yeah, I couldn’t get over the difference
ep.gif

LuLu [Frizzle] flattens out a bit when she has a dust bath but never to that extreme.

I think it may be because she was in there for a long time and had buried herself so deeply. I actually raced in to get the camera to take a picture of her in the dust bath because she looked like road kill!

She moved in the meantime and I ended up with the ‘After’ shot.

May be she smooths out more than LuLu because she is Silkie X and LuLu is Pekin Frizzle; different feathers etc
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom