Australians - Where are you all????

Hi I'm in NSW. We have 5 chickens a RIR, 2 silkies and another (black with iridescent green/blue) that I'm not sure of the breed. My silkie went broody and being a beginner I had no idea what was going on, she was hoarding eggs etc. It wasn't until this past week that i went out and realized there was a baby chick. So now I am worried about it being the only baby and it's winter.

Gidday Cobbers - I am an Australian American living in Melbourne Australia - can you figure that out? Anyway - I have a question about pullets and when they first lay. It is said they generally start about 24 weeks but in my limited experience it is clearly not as simple as that. There seem to be other factors - breed and day length? I have some new Buff Orpingtons hatched in spring last year. Its now autumn (the fall - although gum trees don't fall they shed all year round, especially in the heat) and they still haven't started to lay (are now more than 7 months old, i.e. about 30 weeks). The days are getting shorter - and shorter. I suspect they may not start at all until spring this year, in about August perhaps. What do you think? Does anyone else have experience with this? thanks - Jeff
Odds are good that you will have waited until spring. They are late a maturer. Once they hit about 12 months, they're awesome layers. What was your result?

Back
Top Bottom