Aviary decoration

User1234

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
Hey I have a peacock aviary and it’s a fair size (800 square feet) so not huge but still big, currently it holds 3 peacocks but may keep some babies. And it has roosts and some brushes and I’m just wondering what else they like in their pens. Lots of pics if you can!

Also completely unrelated question, but last year our hen waited till the end of may to start laying and looks like she’s going to do it again this year. Is this normal? I am up in Canada so it stays colder for longer but it has been a super hot spring this year.

My peafowl like to dig holes for dust bathing and sleeping in. Is the ground of you aviary able to allow this.
I'm also in Canada, Eastern Ontario, and my peafowl start laying mid-May depending on temperatures. I think they are unimpressed with the frost the last couple of mornings.

Thanks, ya there is a couple spots where they have dug up some dirt I also loosened some for them. I know, this morning I woke up to frost which is weird because a week ago it was in the 30s.

Also completely unrelated question, but last year our hen waited till the end of may to start laying and looks like she’s going to do it again this year. Is this normal? I am up in Canada so it stays colder for longer but it has been a super hot spring this year.
That’s normal. I still have two pens not laying yet. I’m in Alberta near Edmonton.

In terms of the pen, anything that supports their natural behaviour is good. Areas to dustbathe, natural cover, nesting areas, sunny spots, shady spots, plenty of vegetation and resources to forage, open spaces for the peacocks to display, areas for them to get away from each other, plenty of different roosts etc. Multiple feeding and drinking stations would also be important with multiple birds. You can get ideas in the stickies section or post some photos of your current set up if you want advice on what to improve or add.

You say you have 3 peacocks. How many peahens do you have? Or do you mean you have 3 peafowl in total? That size area you have is good for 3 peafowl but not big enough for 3 mature peacocks and enough hens for all of them.

In terms of the pen, anything that supports their natural behaviour is good. Areas to dustbathe, natural cover, nesting areas, sunny spots, shady spots, plenty of vegetation and resources to forage, open spaces for the peacocks to display, areas for them to get away from each other, plenty of different roosts etc. Multiple feeding and drinking stations would also be important with multiple birds. You can get ideas in the stickies section or post some photos of your current set up if you want advice on what to improve or add.

You say you have 3 peacocks. How many peahens do you have? Or do you mean you have 3 peafowl in total? That size area you have is good for 3 peafowl but not big enough for 3 mature peacocks and enough hens for all of them.
Thanks, ya I mean 3 peafowl I always just call them peacocks. I have 2 males and one female but one of the males is being sold in a couple days, he’s only 2 years old so he’s not fighting the other one yet but probably will next year.

IMG_7980.JPG

Back
Top Bottom