bantam breeds

Waiting to see how it does. Most bantams are fine with full sized chickens, but this one is awfully tiny. At the moment s/he stays with best friend who happens to be a dark Brahma oddly enough. I only seperated her because the 2 guineas in brooder were a lil too crazy..lol. Since putting the lil one and Brahma in own brooder there has been very little hollering, only sweet little chirps as they snuggle.

That is just too cute! Chickens have flock mentality/comraderie -- so glad the Brahma is good w/ the tiny chick -- Brahma are supposed to be a docile breed but they do get very big - unless it's a bantam Brahma? I wonder how the feed store happened to get a tiny chick in their hatchery order?

That is just too cute!  Chickens have flock mentality/comraderie -- so glad the Brahma is good w/ the tiny chick -- Brahma are supposed to be a docile breed but they do get very big - unless it's a bantam Brahma?  I wonder how the feed store happened to get a tiny chick in their hatchery order?

The Brahma is standard size..They had the lil one in with other bantam varieties but this one was so tiny my daughter picked it out. Only solid white one in the bunch. So I truly don't know the breed just that it is a bantam and a tiny one at that. I've had other bantams but never one this small. It is maturing just quite a bit slower than the standard size, of course. At first I didn't think it was growing at all but is getting more wing feathers. I guess we shall see as it grows how this lil one turns out. After all that is part of the fun of raising chicks.

Last edited:
I was doing a bit of research and store where I got my lil bantam uses 2 hatcheries of which one carries Japanese bantams (which were used in developing the Serama breed) so maybe this lil one is a Japanese bantams which is also a tiny chicken of about 20 to 26 oz. Who knows...We will see

Last edited:
The Brahma is standard size..They had the lil one in with other bantam varieties but this one was so tiny my daughter picked it out. Only solid white one in the bunch. So I truly don't know the breed just that it is a bantam and a tiny one at that. I've had other bantams but never one this small. It is maturing just quite a bit slower than the standard size, of course. At first I didn't think it was growing at all but is getting more wing feathers. I guess we shall see as it grows how this lil one turns out. After all that is part of the fun of raising chicks.

I was doing a bit of research and store where I got my lil bantam uses 2 hatcheries of which one carries Japanese bantams (which were used in developing the Serama breed) so maybe this lil one is a Japanese bantams which is also a tiny chicken of about 20 to 26 oz. Who knows...We will see

The chick is lucky you were the ones who bought it or else it might have been squished in someone else's care. Japanese bantams are a little chicken but have enormous tails. Japanese used to only come in white with black tails but now I understand they come in other colors too. Keep us posted with the chick's development.

The chick is lucky you were the ones who bought it or else it might have been squished in someone else's care.  Japanese bantams are a little chicken but have enormous tails.  Japanese used to only come in white with black tails but now I understand they come in other colors too.  Keep us posted with the chick's development.

I definitely will. Hopefully once it's grown I will be able to tell for sure
1f601.png

@Sylvester017 the lil guy died last night...Not sure why, just happens with chicks sometimes
1f61e.png

I kept hoping against hope that the chick would make it -- my farm Mom's experience with raising poultry is that stunted growth chicks usually passed. I'm just glad it got excellent care with you as long as it lived.
hugs.gif
Hope your child wasn't too heartbroken. Losing something so tiny and cute.

I kept hoping against hope that the chick would make it -- my farm Mom's experience with raising poultry is that stunted growth chicks usually passed.  I'm just glad it got excellent care with you as long as it lived. :hugs   Hope your child wasn't too heartbroken.  Losing something so tiny and cute.

Thank you for the kind words.

I have kept lots of different breeds of bantam chicken... But the breed I started with is still my firm favorite.... Japanese Bantams.

They are very friendly, docile to hold and pet, great egg layers and super parents. The roosters are so beautiful and come in all sorts of colours.. and they have a placid nature... all my roosters live well together... and I have never had a problem of they overbreeding the hens.

The chicks are like little cotton wool balls.. with tiny legs.

The roosters crows are quite quiet (for a rooster) and the sound does not carry far.

Back
Top Bottom