Barred rock not laying yet

lauren212

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2016
Ontario
I have 5 chickens that are around 33 weeks. They all lay eggs but 1. One of my barred rocks still has a small comb. She also went through some kind of moult because a lot of her feathers just finished growing back. I'm guessing that's why she isn't laying yet. She also acts slightly different than the others. She always has her feathers puffed out and her neck more tucked into her body....hard to explain. She isn't as active as the others but doesn't look sick or anything. I feed them organic layer feed and ferment some of it for them. Think she will just need more time?

The two barred rocks had lice a month and a half ago which I treated with dusting powder. Don't see any more. I picked them up and they were infested so I treated them right away. Worked very well.

You say she doesn't look sick, but not being active, being hunched and having feathers fluffed is exactly how birds exhibit illness.

You might want to post in the Emergencies and Diseases section, see if someone there can maybe guide you to medicating her appropriately. Or, you may want to consider culling her. Doesn't sound like she's going to be a productive bird.

Back
Top Bottom