best hatchery for salmon faverolles?

I hate to step on toes but I highly, highly recommend going with a local breeder over a hatchery. The Faverolles are some of the sweetest breeds and our girls are great layers and get along great. They seem to be one of our easiest breeds to integrate newcomers into. Our rooster is my daughter's showmanship bird even. The females shouldn't have all of the darkness that I'm seeing in the photos here. Hatcheries are not necessarily going to spend the time/money/care to work on keeping the genetics clean and keeping the breed as close to standards as possible to conserve the true quality, personality, and beauty of them. We raise the Bantam Salmon Faverolles and we're always sharing about them because it would be great if more folks chose to raise them. You don't find them terribly easy but there ARE breeders out there working wholeheartedly on them. :) Just my humble 2 cents -

I bought Salmon Faverolles from My Pet Chicken.
Is the first time I buy from hatchery, but the experience was very good. They made very easy, the chicks arrived in one day with heat pack.
Now the chicks are one month old. The colors are not so good in many of them, but I want to wait one more month before saying beautiful or ugly.
I'm waiting for chicks coming this time from Cackle, maybe tomorrow, so I can mix the blood.

I really would like to know if someone here on BYC sell fertile eggs of their own flock of SF.

Is the first time I buy from hatchery, but the experience was very good. They made very easy, the chicks arrived in one day with heat pack.
Now the chicks are one month old. The colors are not so good in many of them, but I want to wait one more month before saying beautiful or ugly.
I'm waiting for chicks coming this time from Cackle, maybe tomorrow, so I can mix the blood.

I really would like to know if someone here on BYC sell fertile eggs of their own flock of SF.

I'm sure there are. I'd check here. Maybe go to the end of the thread, and ask. :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread

If they're pullets and are already poorly colored than they will likely stay that way. Cockerels look like a mess for a long time.

You can ask on the Fav thread about eggs. I'm not sure what people are getting at the moment. I'm not getting many because of the cold, and haven't even set up pens yet.

I highly recommend Cackle Hatchery. I've been ordering birds from them for years and they are always high quality. It is a family run hatchery. Many of their birds have done well in shows. I ordered Salmon Faverolles from them this year that are 6 weeks old. They are super sweet and friendly, lots of feathering on legs, correct number of toes, but I need to learn about the proper coloring. Their feathers are coming in darker than I expected. Most pictures I've seen of females have pale coloring. I'm not sure which way is supposed to be better. I know someone with a Salmon Faverolles rooster that I plan to pick up in a few days. I'm hoping his coloring, etc, is good.

I highly recommend Cackle Hatchery. I've been ordering birds from them for years and they are always high quality. It is a family run hatchery. Many of their birds have done well in shows. I ordered Salmon Faverolles from them this year that are 6 weeks old. They are super sweet and friendly, lots of feathering on legs, correct number of toes, but I need to learn about the proper coloring. Their feathers are coming in darker than I expected. Most pictures I've seen of females have pale coloring. I'm not sure which way is supposed to be better. I know someone with a Salmon Faverolles rooster that I plan to pick up in a few days. I'm hoping his coloring, etc, is good.
Post pictures on the Faverolles thread for advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread/14660

Pullets vary widely in color. Type is most important. No matter what shade of salmon they should be evenly colored from head to tail. Cockerels also vary in color. Don't get hung up on color, type first. If you are really interested in the breed you may want to get a copy of the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom