Bit if a dilemma here

I just thought I would mention this as it is pretty important-
The run is only 6x9 feet due to local laws only allowing a maximum of 10 sq feet per bird in the run. The plan is to have the coop in the run but I don’t know how that would work.

I just thought I would mention this as it is pretty important-
The run is only 6x9 feet due to local laws only allowing a maximum of 10 sq feet per bird in the run. The plan is to have the coop in the run but I don’t know how that would work.
Yikes, that sucks. Are you not allowed to place the coop outside the run? Otherwise you'd want to elevate it high enough that they could get underneath it to use that space, but then access to the underside of the coop would need to be considered as well.

That would really diminish the run space, wouldn't it? They would not be able to get under the coop, so that's not usable space. Is there any way the coop and run can be side by side?

I believe we can but there are a whole bunch of rules surrounding it and don’t know if it could work with this type of coop

Here's what your law says:

local laws only allowing a maximum of 10 sq feet per bird in the run. Right? Nothing about the coop. The coop spaceis separate. You could, I believe, put them side by side and still be in compliance. They just don't want people having chickens running loose in their entire back yard, they want thrm confined.

The shed might be a great idea bc it will be larger, might offer an area to store some things, look like a shed, provide more space/ protection in winter. You might be able to also put down a concrete pad for the shed, helping to keep out rodents. Useful too if you turn it into a shed for regular storage bc you no longer raise chickens or sell the home. The shed would need to be altered a bit for more upper ventilation, and roosts and nest boxes, place for water/feed.

larger breeds need lower roosts and nest boxes. I’ve raised black Jersey Giants -very large and heavy as ours came from exhibition stock, not from a regular hatchery. Our roosts are ladder style, so the lowest roost is about 18” off the ground, but they can “step” up and up to highest roost, and “step” down to the lowest. But, with any breed, they need enough space to get down from the roosts to the ground.

Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom