Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My hens are laying now and I am shipping. 

Sorry about the big letters. I just wanted it to be seen. I think my original post was buy passed. Can I see pictures of your chickens?
1f601.png
how much do you sell an egg for?
263a.png

I purchased 20 BLRW from a hatchery. I was wondering if anyone could tell by the coloring of these baby chicks if they appeared to be Blue, splash or black laced? They seem a lot lighter compared to some of the pictures I've looked at.

I purchased 20 BLRW from a hatchery. I was wondering if anyone could tell by the coloring of these baby chicks if they appeared to be Blue, splash or black laced? They seem a lot lighter compared to some of the pictures I've looked at.

All those lighter gray birds are "splash". The brown chicks aren't blue or black so I'm hoping those are another breed that you ordered.

yes, I ordered 5 speckled Sussex pullets with the Wyandottes. Even the few chicks thats somewhat darker than all the other ones? You still think they will all be splash? How come Murray hatchery doesn't throw in different roosters to throw some more color? Everything I've read about McMurray hatchery is they only produce splash chicks?

Last edited:
yes, I ordered 5 speckled Sussex pullets with the Wyandottes. Even the few chicks thats somewhat darker than all the other ones? You still think they will all be splash? How come Murray hatchery doesn't throw in different roosters to throw some more color? Everything I've read about McMurray hatchery is they only produce splash chicks?
All those light birds are "splash". I don't know why they'd only sell splash birds because that would mean that they have only splash roosters and splash hens which should get lighter and lighter after a few generations. They could have all splash hens and black phase roosters and sell 100% blue or they could keep two pens, sell all the blues and keep for their breeding pens black roos/splash hens and splash roos/black hens and sell 100% blues from both pens. I've got a splash roo and my hens are black, blue and splash so I only get blue and splash but I may replace my roo with a black (I'd have to buy one) and save only my splash pullets for my next generation of breeding because the blues are more popular.

Blue

Black

Splash

The blue gene is a "leaky gene" so you can have lighter and darker of blue and splash. Sometimes I have trouble telling a blue chick from a black (and really, both of those above could be "blue"). The splash birds that I get are usually darker than the one in the photo above but they are all so easy to tell from blue or black. You should never have a splash chicks that comes remotely close in appearance to a blue or black.

I would imagine that they use splash roosters so that they don't get any black laced chicks. If a person wanted the black laced variety, they would just order golden laced wyandottes instead. In hatchery stock, there's not really much difference in color between the black laced reds and golden laced.

Back
Top Bottom