Bonsai trees!

If you can post a picture showing the whole tree. That would show me whether the tree needs a new pot and what kind of soil to use.

Thank you, here is the tree ~

I've had it about a year maybe more, I got it from a garden centre but it didn't have a label or any information about it. Just a price sticker.

Do you think it has enough soil in the pot?

I've had it about a year maybe more, I got it from a garden centre but it didn't have a label or any information about it. Just a price sticker.

Do you think it has enough soil in the pot?

The tree looks good and healthy. I would not repot this tree or add soil. If you haven't, the tree should be fertilized. I use Miracle grow but at half strength or weaker depending on the specie. For this tree, half strength. There are commercial fertilizers for bonsai available.

There are many sites that give directions on the care of bonsai. But beware on using information as they are often too generalized. Try to find out the specie you have then go to a site on that variety. Sites often make having bonsai harder than it is, but they are worth reading. If you can post a close up of the leaves and branches, I might be able to identify the tree for you.

The tree looks good and healthy. I would not repot this tree or add soil.  If you haven't, the tree should be fertilized. I use Miracle grow but at half strength or weaker depending on the specie. For this tree, half strength. There are commercial fertilizers for bonsai available.

There are many sites that give directions on the care of bonsai. But beware on using information as they are often too generalized. Try to find out the specie you have then go to a site on that variety. Sites often make having bonsai harder than it is, but they are worth reading. If you can post a close up of the leaves and branches, I might be able to identify the tree for you.

Thank you, this is most helpful :highfive:

I have some miracle grow so will give it some. I've tried to find what tree it is but just got so confused with it so carried on with what I was doing and it lived :D
Plants especially ones that live in the house are not my strong point so I'm quite impressed with keeping this one so long.
This is the tree when I first got it ~

Thank you, this is most helpful
highfive.gif

I have some miracle grow so will give it some. I've tried to find what tree it is but just got so confused with it so carried on with what I was doing and it lived
big_smile.png

Plants especially ones that live in the house are not my strong point so I'm quite impressed with keeping this one so long.

From yahoo images. Privet bonsai-Look right????

Last edited:
Thank you, this is most helpful
highfive.gif

I have some miracle grow so will give it some. I've tried to find what tree it is but just got so confused with it so carried on with what I was doing and it lived
big_smile.png

Wow, that's an amazing looking tree. I'm going to probably buy another bonsai soon, an old and shaped one. I just can't stop.
lol.png

Quite addicting. You might want to start with ginseng ficus. Hardy and become astounding as they age.

Chinese Umbrella Tree

Japanese Juniper

Last edited:
Wow, that's an amazing looking tree. I'm going to probably buy another bonsai soon, an old and shaped one. I just can't stop. :lol:
Thanks :highfive: I find them fascinating and do try to stay away from the bonsai section of the garden centre now, I dont want them multiplying like my chickens! :oops:
Quite addicting. You might want to start with ginseng ficus. Hardy and become astounding as they age.
Those roots are fantastic :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom