Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Hi, I just ordered a dozen cream and a dozen gold brabanter eggs from ebay. I am not really interested in starting a breeding program... Just looking for some interesting birds for my layer flock. I am not sure of the quality of the stock but the eggs arrived today and I was astonished at their size. The seller claimed his birds produced 5-6 xlarge to jumbo eggs per week so i was hoping i would get some xlarge plus eggs... Well, i had one pullet egg and the rest were 2.3 ounces or larger with most being in the 2.5-2.8 oz range. If anyone is interested they seem to be listed every day . Most of the eggs were marked with the date they were shipped so it looks look they have a good number of birds. Again, i have no idea if the birds are decent from a SOP standpoint but so far the sellers claims have proven legit. Fresh eggs, incredible size...

Hi, I just ordered a dozen cream and a dozen gold brabanter eggs from ebay. I am not really interested in starting a breeding program... Just looking for some interesting birds for my layer flock. I am not sure of the quality of the stock but the eggs arrived today and I was astonished at their size. The seller claimed his birds produced 5-6 xlarge to jumbo eggs per week so i was hoping i would get some xlarge plus eggs... Well, i had one pullet egg and the rest were 2.3 ounces or larger with most being in the 2.5-2.8 oz range. If anyone is interested they seem to be listed every day . Most of the eggs were marked with the date they were shipped so it looks look they have a good number of birds. Again, i have no idea if the birds are decent from a SOP standpoint but so far the sellers claims have proven legit. Fresh eggs, incredible size...

Thank you for posting. I had seen that listing on ebay & wondered about it. Hope they all hatch out into beautiful little chicks for you! Please keep us posted on ur hatch!

Thank you for posting. I had seen that listing on ebay & wondered about it. Hope they all hatch out into beautiful little chicks for you! Please keep us posted on ur hatch!
Thanks. I will let you know how I make out. Fingers crossed. Another thing I noticed about the eggs is that they are perfectly clean... Not a speck on any of the 28 eggs...

Thanks. I will let you know how I make out. Fingers crossed. Another thing I noticed about the eggs is that they are perfectly clean... Not a speck on any of the 28 eggs...
From whom did you order? I ordered some on ebay as well, from 2 different people & none hatched form either person. I know it was not my incubating practices because I hatched several from my own birds at the same time. The one person has been very helpful & is sending more eggs when the temps rise a lil for the cost of shipping. The other has not responded. I hope you get a good hatch.

I have trouble with that eBay seller making the claims they are just based on normal chicken keeping,  100% clean eggs?  That sounds like they were washed.
I was wondering if they washed them too. It is possible that the hens lay in nest boxes that catch the eggs... Anyway it will only take a week to see if they begin developing. I sure hope they do because the eggs are awesome. I will keep everyone up to date with how things work out. Keep your fingers crossed.

I have a silver spitz hen, Her crest is incorrect as well, Working on buying some eggs right now from pure (Proper crest and confirmation) and they are Golds and Chamois. Very Excited for them. The whole Sultan chicken world has the same problem with inferior birds.

On a whim and suggestion by an 8 year old I picked up some Brabanters. Then read a bit about them and went back and got some more. They are adorable and so curious. I think I'm already in love and dreaming about breeding them. They came from the feed store so I expect they are hatchery stock from Ideal. They are about two weeks old and one of them has a much smaller crown than the rest. It's ridge comb is bigger and I can clearly see two bumps on either side. Could this one be a roo? Do the hens have the same prominent V comb this young and it's just hidden?

awesome photo! but I have no helpful comments, sorry
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom