Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Picked up my replacement eggs today. I am very hopeful that i will get a decent hatch this time. The eggs are huge once again. They look amazing.. I spent some time talking with the breeder and he has been breeding chickens for 30 years and is very knowledgeable and passionate. He showed me a picture of a one month old that had an awesome crest. Tight, high and tilted forward. He said it is the biggest crest he had seen on a chick that young... It looked like an 80s rap artist... Anyway, he really went out of his way to get me the eggs and wouldn't take a dime for them. I am just wondering if the sheer size of the eggs makes shipping them difficult. One thing for sure is that he put 28 eggs in one box when he shipped them. The box weighed a ton. Felt like there was a block of cement in there.
Well just candled the eggs I picked up.... 0/24 with any development i am so bummed. Just sent the seller a note. I set 16 of my own eggs the same day... 15/16 developing... Had 28/40 shipped eggs fully develop with 22 hatched yesterday. Clearly not an incubator problem. Temps were down around 0 in the few days before I got the eggs and temps had been bitter in the weeks before. Dont know if that could have been the reason. Frankly, that's the only plausible, legitimate reason that these eggs would fail to develop.... If anyone has been contemplating getting these eggs, i would recommend holding off. I will see what the seller has to say and may even try another batch. Let me continue to act as the unofficial "product" tester... I so want these to be real but have to say I am feeling skeptical at this point

Well just candled the eggs I picked up.... 0/24 with any development i am so bummed. Just sent the seller a note. I set 16 of my own eggs the same day... 15/16 developing... Had 28/40 shipped eggs fully develop with 22 hatched yesterday. Clearly not an incubator problem. Temps were down around 0 in the few days before I got the eggs and temps had been bitter in the weeks before. Dont know if that could have been the reason. Frankly, that's the only plausible, legitimate reason that these eggs would fail to develop.... If anyone has been contemplating getting these eggs, i would recommend holding off. I will see what the seller has to say and may even try another batch. Let me continue to act as the unofficial "product" tester... I so want these to be real but have to say I am feeling skeptical at this point

Sorry to hear about ur experience. Thank you for keeping us updated. If you want to try a different source of eggs, bycer Marquisella sells cream brabanter eggs with positive feedback. She's in central NY, so it wouldn't be far to ship. Her birds are gorgeous.

Sorry to hear about ur experience. Thank you for keeping us updated. If you want to try a different source of eggs, bycer Marquisella sells cream brabanter eggs with positive feedback. She's in central NY, so it wouldn't be far to ship. Her birds are gorgeous.
Thanks for the info on marquisella... Didnt know she had cream brabanters. She does have an excellent rep.

Hello to everyone in this thread. I hatched a cream Brabanter chick on 2/25/15. I was hoping those with breed experience could suggest whether I would be observing any signs of the chick being a cockerel yet?

Hello to everyone in this thread. I hatched a cream Brabanter chick on 2/25/15. I was hoping those with breed experience could suggest whether I would be observing any signs of the chick being a cockerel yet?
Umm....nope! LOL I hatched 6 on March 21 so they are just over a week old. BUT, I also have some in the brooder who are 3 weeks old and they are just adorable with their little 'hawks' going on but no, I can't tell them apart as yet. Of the 3 week old, I was supposed to have received 2 cockerels but...who knows.....maybe when they crow I'll know?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom