Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Not having much luck getting Brabanters from anyone other than a hatchery. Just placed my order with Ideal, they are waitlisted but still available. Shipping in May :( If I can find something better I'll incorporate them, but I know I'll get some!

In Burnett TX April Howington of H&H Poultry used to have them....you may want to try to contact them.

http://handhpoultry.com/brabanters.html

Good luck

I agree h&h has great stock. The birds I have originated from there. The first new stock I'm getting is fromFL simonerol on here. The eggs will hatch (hopefully) around the 26th. I'm also going to be getting stock from AL. The American Brabanter page on FB has many great breeders. I'm trying to combine a few good breeding lines to develop a hardy line.

With these very rare and endangered breeds, it is fantastic that people are working to broaden the genepool of their own flocks.  This is something Isbar people are doing as well, and I think that we are already seeing improvements in health and hatchability -- 
Thank you! DH hasn't complained about the plan yet, but I really think it's important to focus on creating a healthy and beautiful group. I'm planning on doing some egg swaps with breeders too and hoping my culls are useful in my egg flock. I worry if I sell them they'll end up continuing problems in the breed. It's an exciting but daunting task I've put myself to.

Last edited:
Question for Brabanter owners -

I have 6 brabanter chicks. They are 5 days old. They all seem to be weaker than the rest of my chicks. I didn't know if this was a breed thing or a way that came into the world thing. They seem to be taking a longer than the others to "recuperate".
However, I must note, these 6 chicks are the only ones I have from a mega general store seller. So, they were shipped and then kept in close quarters for 2 days and then driven to our house. That might be what is making a HUGE difference. I am on 2 waitlists for brabanters so when I saw them the same age as the chicks I have I wanted to get them. But, I have had to hand feed two and give all 6 electrolytes by dropper to ensure they got them. I didn't want to get go the "general store" route but I sure am glad to have them and I don't mind nursing them back to health.

Question for Brabanter owners -

I have 6 brabanter chicks. They are 5 days old. They all seem to be weaker than the rest of my chicks. I didn't know if this was a breed thing or a way that came into the world thing. They seem to be taking a longer than the others to "recuperate".
However, I must note, these 6 chicks are the only ones I have from a mega general store seller. So, they were shipped and then kept in close quarters for 2 days and then driven to our house. That might be what is making a HUGE difference. I am on 2 waitlists for brabanters so when I saw them the same age as the chicks I have I wanted to get them. But, I have had to hand feed two and give all 6 electrolytes by dropper to ensure they got them. I didn't want to get go the "general store" route but I sure am glad to have them and I don't mind nursing them back to health.
Good luck with your chicks. I hope that they will thrive. I think that they do react to the good care -- to make up for trauma of shipping .

Back
Top Bottom