Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

*waves*

It took a few days to get through all the posts, but I made it! I'm still waiting to get access to the FB Brabanter group in hopes to find some better quality sources for hatching eggs near me. It was also really helpful to read through all the problems that have to be worked with to get more "correct" birds.

Hopefully I'll get some creams in 2017 :)

*waves*

It took a few days to get through all the posts, but I made it! I'm still waiting to get access to the FB Brabanter group in hopes to find some better quality sources for hatching eggs near me. It was also really helpful to read through all the problems that have to be worked with to get more "correct" birds.

Hopefully I'll get some creams in 2017 :)
good luck with your search.

Just wanted to share the two Brabanters I picked up last year at the feed store (I think they came from Ideal originally). At the time I had never heard of them before, but after going home and doing some research, especially on BYC, I had to rush back and get a couple. They've sure lived up to the reviews. They are interesting and beautiful little characters with HUGE personalities, very intelligent and curious and friendly.

Ms. T is my cream pullet. Here she is after getting rained on.

She is a little over seven months old and just started laying a few weeks ago. I LOVE her little light-cream eggs. They're so dense, pretty much TARDIS eggs. Likewise, she has way too much personality for her petite body. She thinks she's the boss, and sometimes will follow the actually Boss [BR] hen around and imitate her, as if she's made herself Boss's apprentice, and talks nonstop in her little "pew-pew-pew" voice. I worried at first that larger chickens would pick on her for being the smallest and the only hen her color and with a top knot, but she has never let anyone bother her. She even chases the cat around.

My gold roo Hellboy is obviously not standard quality. His head feathers don't grow very big, he just gets these long crazy-looking filaments, and his waddles are mismatched, but I think it gives him character. (Pictured at ~7 mos.)

I'd like to breed him with our mixed flock, see what variations his genes might make. Barred and naked neck in particular intrigue me. Anyone ever crossed a Brabanter and NN? Wondering if beard + bow tie/naked neck would come through in the same bird, or if one would cancel out another. . . .

He's very alert and protective, knows his job, but is not aggressive with people or pets. He does let me pet him after he does his little Flamenco dance for me. (Has to look macho for his girls.) By far my favorite breed of the [admittedly few] roosters I've had.

Last edited:
I'd like to breed him with our mixed flock, see what variations his genes might make. Barred and naked neck in particular intrigue me. Anyone ever crossed a Brabanter and NN? Wondering if beard + bow tie/naked neck would come through in the same bird, or if one would cancel out another. . . .

I want to know the same! I very much want to do this same cross and am hopeful to get started once we get the second coop built and my current adults and chicks integrated. To have a crested naked neck with those spangles sounds like a treat!

I want to know the same! I very much want to do this same cross and am hopeful to get started once we get the second coop built and my current adults and chicks integrated. To have a crested naked neck with those spangles sounds like a treat!

That would be awesome! Yes, some "Hipster" chickens (crests+beards+bow ties) would be a fun answer to Showgirls. I wish you the very best of luck with that. Definitely need to post pics if/when it happens!

I hope I have found the right place for someone to tell me what I have. I was sold "Gold Brabanter" hatching eggs on ebay last year. I have two cockerels from that hatch. After reading the first post I don't think they are Brabanter. They are awesome to me... Opinions please.

I would still call him a Brabanter but he does have some real problems. The problem I see with Brabanter right now is there is so little to work with we have to pick our battles while we work to improve the birds. I'd like to see more quality birds imported to speed up the process.

Last edited:
His wattles are large but he has a beard, so definitely a Brabanter. His comb has too many points-should be only 2. Looks like a spitz, but coloration indicates he's probably a beardless Brabanter. A better comb. Brabanter are not perfected yet. Tough to find quality/good genetics. Hth.

Last edited:
Is the FB group still active at all? I sent a request to join back in December and still haven't been accepted.
hmm.png

Is the FB group still active at all? I sent a request to join back in December and still haven't been accepted. :/

There are a couple different Brabanter groups on Facebook. There are two differing philosophies on how to improve the breed. I'm part of each group, and it's worthwhile to hear the different philosophies. In my opinion each group has flaws too.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/257918197916784?ref=bookmarks
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1620437108214336?ref=bookmarks
There's also this one that is more hobby.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/139340276247439?ref=bookmarks

Back
Top Bottom