Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

See some potential in these two Cream Brabanter chicks.
IMG_20190316_214205.jpg
IMG_20190316_214112.jpg

Anyone still have Brabanters? Or any new members with them?

I just purchased/ordered 30 Gold Brabanters from Ideal, for a ship date of 28 April. 20 females, 10 males. I figure that'll give me at least a decent size group to cull from--and it pretty much hits my limit for space.

We just moved into our house--built it this year. Lots of finish work to do on it, and THEN we'll build the coop and run. We live in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona, at 7200 ft, on an acre in the pines. I'll have to confine them to the run, as our worst predators--among a wide range from bears to cougars--are the dogs that roam freely in our rural area.

I got a little ambitious maybe, as these are my first chickens, and I probably should have gotten "starter chickens" that are easy to raise. But I've studied breeds for...seven years? Changed my mind 1823 times about what breed/s I wanted to have. A varied flock, or one and try to improve? This was the one I couldn't quit coming back to. Every single time I see a photo of one, it makes me smile.

I've read and studied for years, but I know I'll make noobie mistakes anyway. If any of y'all have Brabanter-specific suggestions, hints, or comments on what you think of them, I'm all ears!

In particular, I'm wondering how the hatch rate goes with an incubator.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I just purchased/ordered 30 Gold Brabanters from Ideal, for a ship date of 28 April. 20 females, 10 males. I figure that'll give me at least a decent size group to cull from--and it pretty much hits my limit for space.

We just moved into our house--built it this year. Lots of finish work to do on it, and THEN we'll build the coop and run. We live in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona, at 7200 ft, on an acre in the pines. I'll have to confine them to the run, as our worst predators--among a wide range from bears to cougars--are the dogs that roam freely in our rural area.

I got a little ambitious maybe, as these are my first chickens, and I probably should have gotten "starter chickens" that are easy to raise. But I've studied breeds for...seven years? Changed my mind 1823 times about what breed/s I wanted to have. A varied flock, or one and try to improve? This was the one I couldn't quit coming back to. Every single time I see a photo of one, it makes me smile.

I've read and studied for years, but I know I'll make noobie mistakes anyway. If any of y'all have Brabanter-specific suggestions, hints, or comments on what you think of them, I'm all ears!

Cheers!

Go for it!!!! Ideal is the only place I know of that sells them.

Cheers!

How exciting! I'm hoping to get some creams this year. (Would actually like to have both cream and gold.) PLEASE post pictures and updates on them after you get them. I'm the same way, they make me smile too. A frined of mine has one, and she sends me pictures of her. I can't wait to get some!

Back
Top Bottom