BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Actually only on BYC does each breed/variety have it's own "Standard Of Perfection" [SOP]. The book published by the American Poultry Association is titled "The American Standard Of Perfection"..
THis book contains breed descriptions of all the breeds/varieties recognized by the APA at the time that edition of the Standard was published.

hide.gif
I've gone and done it-- I caved when a friend made an offer I couldn't refuse. SUlmtalers. Primarily a meat bird . . . not sure if it will be a good fit . . .

For newbies like me, what is APA SOP? Obviously from a previous post it's a book, I'm assuming it is a guide about chicken standards???

Leads me to another question: What are the "Standard Breeds"?

Be gentle folks .... we were all chicken illiterate once
idunno.gif
Barb, check your private messages.
Best,
Karen

Quote:
Just PM me any time.
But let me say... these birds are the result of Gary's hard work... I can take no credit.
He is a great mentor, but I am simply doing what he has told me to do. He confirmed and finalized my breeders for the year and he and his father are the reason this wonderful line is what it is.

I've been pleased, but... what I'm looking for isn't for everyone.
My pullets begin laying about 26 weeks and lay heavier than I expected (I have laying percentages for each pen - they range from 69-75%).
But... I am experimenting with growth rates and weights and flavor still. Mostly in the first 6 months.
However... the most informative info was "unplanned"...
The thing that has impressed me the most is the flavor of older cockerels. I butchered a 10 month old cockerel 2 weeks ago.
He had been free ranging with only supplemental feeding and his carcass weighed 7.2 lbs. Not ideal but... he was a cull I hadn't gotten around to and I hate to say it but basically spent the winter as one of the "not privileged".
wink.png
He had plenty of meat, and more importantly the flavor was surprisingly wonderful. I don't usually keep them this long but... sometimes I simply don't get around to butchering the last one or two. It was not a planned experiment but I'm glad now that I have that information. It tells me that I can push the envelope on age if I don't want to use a lot of freezer space.

Actually only on BYC does each breed/variety have it's own "Standard Of Perfection" [SOP]. The book published by the American Poultry Association is titled "The American Standard Of Perfection"..
THis book contains breed descriptions of all the breeds/varieties recognized by the APA at the time that edition of the Standard was published.
@NYREDS - Bill, will you please clarify this for me? I'm a little confused.

Does not each breed/variety have its own Standard of Perfection - it’s own set of characteristics, written down in black & white, approved by The American Poultry Association, to be used as a breeding guide.

And aren't all of those Standards of Perfection pulled together in one book, called The American Standard of Perfection? I'm not trying to be argumentative, or disagree, I just want to be sure I'm communicating correctly when I use these terms. Thanks!

Last edited:
@NYREDS - Bill, will you please clarify this for me? I'm a little confused.
Does not each breed/variety have its own Standard of Perfection - it’s own set of characteristics, written down in black & white, approved by The American Poultry Association, to be used as a breeding guide.

And aren't all of those Standards of Perfection pulled together in one book, called The American Standard of Perfection? I'm not trying to be argumentative, or disagree, I just want to be sure I'm communicating correctly when I use these terms. Thanks!
It's simple & essemtially a semantic issue. "Standard Of Perfection" is the title of a book. The book contains " a complete descriptiopn of all recognized breeds and varieties of domestic poultry". Each breed has a standard description but nowhere but here on BYC is each individual description known as an SOP.

Alright, then - should we be calling it "standard description" rather than an "SOP"? That makes sense; I guess folks all know what we mean when we use "SOP" as in "breeding to the SOP" but actually, we should be saying that we are "breeding to the standard" - yes?

Back
Top Bottom