BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

So we finally got several days of much needed rain, whatever is going to grow back will. Chances are we will have to seed parts of the pasture to help it recover.
I had three broody hens I couldn't break so I gave them each 2 eggs to sit on, 5 chicks were born today one other egg didn't make it, so our new rooster is doing his job breeding the hens as all the eggs were fertile.
Mama Orpington sat religiously on the eggs, then once the first chick was born she just pecked at it and wanted no parts of being a mom. The Orpy mix hen kept stealing all the chicks from the other hens, and my old red mixed hen the only one who has already raised chicks was the third hen. The not so bright Orpy mix took her chicks out in the rain and I had to rescue them. So I took all the chicks and gave them to ole red, put her in the small coop with the babies and 2 bantam pullets that are a few months old. Ole red is doing a great job has accepted all the chicks as her own. She was so clever with the last clutch that I felt she was the best bet.
I stripped the main coop down today after all the hoopala, and rebedded the nesting boxes. When the 2 hens without chicks came back in the looked around for chicks and upon not finding any commenced to eating and perching which neither had done in over 3 weeks. I hated to take away their chicks, but thought it was the best scenario for all.
I also put the three month old turkey chicks in the main turkey coop yesterday, so far it seems ok, I was't sure how that would go as they are so much smaller than the grown turkeys, but they were easier than introducing chickens. Over all I find turkeys to be kinder to one another than chickens.

Thought I would share some up-dated pics of the birds.

Ole red and chicks none of which are from her own eggs. I got 2 black chicks & 3 yellows so they are from the new rooster and the Orpington cross hens.
ole red and chicks.jpg

Here is one of the rooster when he first came and now he has developed a little:
rooster old.jpg

Rooster new 2.jpg

These are the Buff Orpington & BO x Black SL pullets they are already laying eggs at 4 1/2 months.I think the black and gold pullet is striking.
pullets 4.5 mo.jpg

Thought I would share some up-dated pics of the birds.

Ole red and chicks none of which are from her own eggs. I got 2 black chicks & 3 yellows so they are from the new rooster and the Orpington cross hens.
View attachment 1039155

Here is one of the rooster when he first came and now he has developed a little:
View attachment 1039181
View attachment 1039182

These are the Buff Orpington & BO x Black SL pullets they are already laying eggs at 4 1/2 months.I think the black and gold pullet is striking.
View attachment 1039185
Love them all - LOVE that rooster!

I got some updated photos of the Tank x GNH birds today - I'll post them in just a bit... S&Gs continue to look great.

Love them all - LOVE that rooster!

I got some updated photos of the Tank x GNH birds today - I'll post them in just a bit... S&Gs continue to look great.

Oh thank you...pretty happy with the size of the hens actually. The rooster has really filled out nice, I can see his father in him. I cannot wait to cross my new English Crele Orpington with him, she has a nice stocky body.
I will watch for your pictures......:ya

Kristin, is that hen in the 2nd to last pic a blue AM? She's beautiful.

Thanks! She's a cross between a lavender ameraucana and a blue copper marans. Agree - she's gorgeous. She's pretty sweet, too, just not as sweet as the black girl, who I think is the daughter of Alice, my super friendly black copper marans.

I hope no one minds the cross post - I never know where to post my data for NNs that are also bred for production, so I tend to post them both places.

I got 15 week weights on the S&G broiler NNs. I did it in the morning so we weren't doing this while it was super hot, but it was not pleasant for them or me - hard to wrestle a giant teenaged boy bird into a weighing bucket that they are convinced will kill them. :rolleyes:

The one I wanted to keep based on stature, bearing, alertness, etc., turned out to also be the biggest. He got VERY upset with the bucket, and there was a little wheezing there at the end. He's super active and acts more acclimated to the heat than the others so I don't know whether to worry, but I'm keeping a number of them (not just one), in case any one of them (including him) doesn't do well in the heat. (Heck, with those struggling giant birds in my arms, *I* was wheezing a bit!!!!)

Here they are, 15 wk weights:

60 (black): 156.2 oz (9.76 lbs) - proposed keeper
64 (grey): 140.7 oz (8.79 lbs) - cull (late maturity + mild cross beak)
65 (pink): 130 oz (8.125 lbs)
66 (green): 136.8 oz (8.55 lbs)
67 (orange): 139.7 oz (8.73 lbs)
68 (light blue): 133.9 oz (8.37 lbs)
70 (dark blue): 139.5 oz (8.72 lbs)
71 (purple): 127.8 oz (7.99 lbs)

I'm happy with this - we'll see whether and how much they continue to grow, but they have only JUST started chasing each other and fighting a bit (not too bad), meaning they have gotten to a nice big size before the management difficulties of keeping multiple cockerels together have arisen. And they haven't been broiler slugs.

View attachment 1041070

- Ant Farm

I have yet to figure this system out...I need to sit down, play around with it and that will be that.

My Cuba dream got popped yesterday so back to Crete this coming winter, with plans to hit Sardinia and points north.

Another surprise...Dad always said I was like a fart in a hail storm and here is a good example. I backed out of my chicken dispersal and have my help from last year coming back, for as long as I need them. Kentucky winters are far milder than the West Virginia mountains and they consider coming here to be their vacation, with plenty of time to visit their relatives who live near Frankfort.

I have a bunch of new chicks, between 3 and 4 weeks old. No promises because I've failed so many times in the past but I might take a few pics of the 4 breeds that are all jammed together in one brooder...

Back
Top Bottom