BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Today was the third day we hit 115* or higher, setting a new record for the area, but this afternoon the clouds moved in, the thunder started booming, the winds kicked up, and.....I felt ONE drop of rain. Seriously, that's it. The good news is that it still dropped our afternoon temps down to 101* at my house, which is completely doable. I turned off the two window A/C units in the chicken cabin to give them (and my electric bill) a break since they haven't been able to drop the interior temperature below 98* in the hottest part of the afternoon. (That's still better than 115* or more though, so....)

The free-ranging birds have been surviving by way of shade and lots of water - ice cubes in their drinking water, hoses running and flooding the yard to create cool puddles for them to stand and scratch in...the misters are an absolute waste of time for them since they all hate them. The only birds really suffering are the Bielefelder hens and my one remaining Cornish-mix hen. So far though, no losses, which is a lot better than what most of my local chicken friends have experienced. It's come at a price though, because even if the chickens haven't suffered from heat stroke, I have.

The Silver Grey Dorkings are doing surprisingly well in this heat. They're in a run that offers shade for all but an hour each day, and the only thing I've provided them is fresh, cool drinking water and a running hose on and off throughout the day. I didn't expect them to do this well so I'm really relieved.

I'm giving serious thought to digging them a "rabbit tunnel". Since a few of my birds have dug down an entire foot in certain parts of my yard, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to finish the job and put some plywood over top of it. :)

Not gonna lie, I'd do that if I lived on sandy soil in a hot climate. But livin as I do now, on clay, it'd be crazy. I'd have to rent a few jackhammers and big strapping men to work them for a week to bust up the concrete that my soil becomes when dry. Digging it wet can turn over a backhoe since it becomes so sticky and heavy. Or get one mired. But that coop is cool as heck!

Yup, it's like that in much of central Texas too, either granite or limestone. Even around here, some people trying to put in pools or underground structures like basements or storm shelters get shell shock from the price of excavation after their site has been assessed. The clay soil is fertile, but a long term project for gardeners. I'm using raised beds as well as working on loosening the tilth of my native soil in one area using compost and a little sand. One of the reasons for keeping the hens is their compostable litter and droppings.

I LOVE this!!! Unfortunately, I have solid limestone anywhere from 2 feet to as little as 2 inches from the surface. SOLID limestone. I garden with raised beds.

(Around here, putting in a pool is no small matter....)
Ditto that. I'd have to blast thru solid rock to put that coop in. Shame, I bet it would help regulate temps in winter too.

Back
Top Bottom