Breeding Project Spring 2014

A neighbor was giving away 2 pullets, I just got a blue copper maran, and a blue splash maran to add to my blue andelusian male and my blue americana male, ( I also had a blue splash maran hen.) Yeah spring! bring on the blues!

I've learned so much about chickens and breeding and breeds and genetics just in the past few days. Wow!

It doesn't change my plans for the spring, but it certainly does open my eyes to other possibilities that I would entertain incorporating into them.

My Breeding Plan for Spring 2014:
First brood: Allow which ever hens go broody to brood whatever eggs they clutch. I'll probably move them to a special brooding place (that's the plan so far, but I'm also seeking advice and experience on moving broodies v/s leaving them with the flock).

We'll see how that goes before I make plans for any second/third broods we have.

I'll sell any frizzled chicks from my Bantam Cochin Frizzle.
I'll keep any cockrels separated and they'll be dinner.
Any hens from my original flock that I find out haven't been laying will become dinner too.
I'll keep any pullets and hope to allow the Broodies to incorporate their chicks into the flock when they're old enough.

Wow i thought by march i would have a conversation this big... yay

Also our "source" always has something new every time we go there. Also she sells bunnies, and every time i go there she lets me hold their babies. She always has RIRS, and some sort of gorgeous roosters, once she had a black giant. But i love when she has new breeds so we can add them to our flock, I love purebred chickens, but you just cant have one breed, thats boring.

luvmypets
yippiechickie.gif

Wow i thought by march i would have a conversation this big... yay

Also our "source" always has something new every time we go there. Also she sells bunnies, and every time i go there she lets me hold their babies. She always has RIRS, and some sort of gorgeous roosters, once she had a black giant. But i love when she has new breeds so we can add them to our flock, I love purebred chickens, but you just cant have one breed, thats boring.

luvmypets
yippiechickie.gif

YES, having a single breed would be boring!!! I like my mixed flock; I have very few purebreds.
I'd like to get a black Jersey Giant roo; I have a hen and I understand they're on watch list, so I'd like to help the breed.

My dad and step-mom used to keep rabbits. The produce great fertilizer!!! I always liked holding the bunnies too!!! Now I miss bunny holding. lol

the blue chickens are laying eggs- I just forgot they are fertile! more blue chickens before spring? I will try saving up 6 or so and see. only trouble is they won't be from my roosters but I will see what I get.

Just lost my younger rooster to a snake today. =(
He was half SLW and half LBrahma, these are both breeds that I like and wanted in my flock. They're docile and good layers.

I'm getting a Partridge Plymouth Rock roo (I think tomorrow).
IDK anything about this breed except that they're beautiful!
Any info would be helpful. =)

Just lost my younger rooster to a snake today. =(
He was half SLW and half LBrahma, these are both breeds that I like and wanted in my flock. They're docile and good layers.

I'm getting a Partridge Plymouth Rock roo (I think tomorrow).
IDK anything about this breed except that they're beautiful!
Any info would be helpful. =)
Awww. I'm sorry about your rooster.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom