*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
My husband was turkey hunting this weekend...Needless to say he came home to 4 new Buff Orpington chicks!!! :)

If we could have someone's input as too when we can put them in the coop, that would be great. The chicks are about a week old. We have 12 Black Sex Links, a Silver Sebright, 2 Gold Sebrights and a White Old English. They are all about 7 weeks old. Thank you in advance! :)
No younger than 12 weeks. There is too much age difference. The older ones will really pick on the younger ones.

This is a pic of my 8 week old orpington chick. I'm really beginning to think it a rooster. Unlike my 4 others this one will sometimes act out aggressively and the comb is starting to become a little more red than the others. So what's your feedback pullet or cockerel?

sorry this photo is blurry, this chick did not want to hold still! lol

Hello! Last week I got 3, day-old Buff Orp chicks.
wee.gif
Now, at one week old, their wing feathers are mostly in. I notice that two of the chicks have normal, 'buff'-colored feathers, but the third chick's wing feathers are much darker-- almost a brown stripe across the wing. What could this mean? Is it crossed with something else, maybe? Or does feather-color indicate that maybe it's a cockerel? Or is that amount of color variation normal in Buff Orp hens? (I had some BO's before, but got them as 7-week-olds, already feathered out, and they were all blondies.) Any help will be appreciated!

(Sorry no pics, haven't gotten any good ones since the feathers came in, and really-- they're a week old! I'm sure all of you know what week-old chicks look like! LOL)

OK, here they are! The one I am asking about is the one to the left, with the brownish wing feathers. The other two are much 'buff'-er!

Last edited:
OK, here they are! The one I am asking about is the one to the left, with the brownish wing feathers. The other two are much 'buff'-er!
Are you sure its not just shadows from the gaps between their feathers? They grow in sections and I remember noticing when some of mine were first getting their wing feathers, it looked darker in areas and I thought the same thing, that they had dark marks, but that's all it turned out to be. Gap shadows. I hope that made sense and I hope I was of some help. They're adorable :)

I just can't decide between pullet or roo. Was supposed to be pullet, but the comb color had me starting to say roo, but the behavior just doesn't match the one known BO roo in the flock. This one feathered out like the pullets whereas the known roo still doesn't have most lol Any experienced BO raisers have an idea? For now it's just wait for the crow. It's 8-9 wks old. So when should I expect a crow?

I just can't decide between pullet or roo. Was supposed to be pullet, but the comb color had me starting to say roo, but the behavior just doesn't match the one known BO roo in the flock. This one feathered out like the pullets whereas the known roo still doesn't have most lol Any experienced BO raisers have an idea? For now it's just wait for the crow. It's 8-9 wks old. So when should I expect a crow?
These babies all have yellow legs which are a disqualification in Orpingtons. Are you sure that you didn't buy what the hatcheries call "Golden Buffs" , instead of Buff Orpingtons ? Buff Orpingtons should have solid gold feathers too, with no white, red, or black feathers .

I think this cockerel will crow in a few weeks !

I have roo too but I don't know when he will crow he is 4 weeks old. At what time do you turn off the heating lamp?

Back
Top Bottom