*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Good Sunday morning!
I am new to B.O.'s. My daughter raised a chick for me a couple years ago, then kept her. Brat. I got two chicks this year among other breeds. One of the buffs had a noticeable pink comb, and wattles at just a couple weeks. This has never changed. Is there a chance this presumed cockerel is still a pullet? I am including some shots of the other one for comparison. No attempted crowing yet....
Body view of the "he"?
head shot at about 10 weeks. He is a photo bomber. This pic was taken for the hen in the back with a chick under her wing.

Presumed pullet

The two together

Early this morning at 12:18 AM, we lost our beloved Peanut. She was only 13 months old and up until a few days ago had always been the picture of health. We suspect internal laying problems but will have the cause of death confirmed with a necropsy. We have only been keeping chickens a little over a year and she was one of our original Buffs. I am so grateful to her for everything she taught us and how much love she gave us everyday. We could not have asked for a more precious chicken.

R.I.P. my sweet Peanut. We will miss you terribly baby girl and even though you are no longer with us, I will always be Peanut's Momma.

Peanut at 2 weeks

hugs.gif

Early this morning at 12:18 AM, we lost our beloved Peanut. She was only 13 months old and up until a few days ago had always been the picture of health. We suspect internal laying problems but will have the cause of death confirmed with a necropsy. We have only been keeping chickens a little over a year and she was one of our original Buffs. I am so grateful to her for everything she taught us and how much love she gave us everyday. We could not have asked for a more precious chicken. R.I.P. my sweet Peanut. We will miss you terribly baby girl and even though you are no longer with us, I will always be Peanut's Momma. Peanut at 2 weeks
So sorry for your loss.

Hello!

My name is Magen and I live in Wisconsin. My husband and I are currently looking into starting a small flock of buff orpington, as I've read that they are very good with small children (we have an 11 year old, 10 year old, and 8 year old) and docile.

I don't have any yet, but will be visiting our local feed store this week to check out availability and cost. I know it's a lot to ship live animals, so I don't want to go the route of a hatchery yet.

I'm excited to become a crazy chicken lady!!! :woot :jumpy

Nice to meet everyone!

Hi neighbor
frow.gif
I'm from the Whitewater area. If you choose buffs you will not be disappointed. I have my young nieces and nephews over and they love to hang out with my flock.

I would recommend Abendroth in Waterloo or Merton Feed Mill. Merton is really good, but I've seen better sexing done at Abendroth. And so far all my buffs from there have done really well health wise.

Good Sunday morning!
I am new to B.O.'s. My daughter raised a chick for me a couple years ago, then kept her. Brat. I got two chicks this year among other breeds. One of the buffs had a noticeable pink comb, and wattles at just a couple weeks. This has never changed. Is there a chance this presumed cockerel is still a pullet? I am including some shots of the other one for comparison. No attempted crowing yet....
Body view of the "he"?
head shot at about 10 weeks. He is a photo bomber. This pic was taken for the hen in the back with a chick under her wing.

Presumed pullet

The two together
You say that it is 10 months? I would say that "he she" is a girl. Congrats!

What's the average time span for a buff laying eggs? Mine is starting to have some issues and I would like to think it isn't anything serious though it seems a bit soon for her production to be affected by age.... But I'm also not an expert ;P

Back
Top Bottom