Buying a FoodSaver, need help!

Just check mine too. It's a V2440 that my Ma got from me for Christmas about 3 years ago from Wally World. (got me a dehydrator the next year, lol) I got a fridge full of meat right now that I'm sealing tomorrow. I think it is espcially good for beef. Let if thaw slowly in the fridge and it tastes almost like you just bought it.

The cheaper rolls they sell at wally world are good but not as good that the FoodSaver brand bags.

You can "seal" other bags too but they won't necessarly suck the air out of the bag. It's got something to do with texture of the bag. We researched this on the Backpacker.com forums. Works well for sealing up bags of chips and crackers after they have been opened.

Last edited:
I have a FoodSaver but I am not sure what model. I got it and 4 rolls of bags with the canisters and marinade container at a tag sale for $20. The best tag sale fine I have ever had!!!

DH went fishing for Cod off Portland Maine last year and came home with about 50 pounds of Cod, Haddock, and Pollock. I cut the fillets into aprox 8oz pieces and "bagged" them They are still as fresh tasting as they were when they went into the freezer. For moist things, such as fish, hamburg and meats, place a paper towel between the item and the final seal to absorb any liquids that come out during vaccum sealing. You can also fill the bag and freeze the item before vaccum sealing as I did with 20 pounds of butternut squash that I roasted, mashed then froze in 2 lb packages. I use the canisters for fresh ground bean coffee, when it comes home from the store. I even use the marinator for my extra seeds from last year, I think it may help keep the seeds viable longer in the dry, low oxygen enviornment.

You can sometimes get the bags quite a bit cheaper on ebay if you watch how you bid.

I have the Foodsaver model V2240 and I love it. I also buy the roll of bags as I like the idea of being able to cut just what I need. We paid 99.00 for ours I don't know if that is a good buy or not. I guess if your satisified with it it is. I used it non stop when we butchered our two pigs and three deer. The pigs alone were over 450lbs of meat so you can imgaine how long we used it for. The older mosels get hot and you have to allow it to cool down. Mine also has the wet and dry option and you lock the bag in before you start to stuck it out. I haven't used the canisters yet but might be using the canning jar option his summer. I also tried the cheaper Walmart bags and found that half the time you could get a good seal one bag would seal the next wouldn't I think its worth it to buy the foodsaver bags less ag.ravation

I have the game saver pro. It is 30% faster than my last one.
This year I shot 6 deer and twice I shot 2 at a time.
When it comes time to vacuum them speed and endurance make a difference.
Also, some models can't seal as many times in a row without overheating the sealing strip.
I bought mine at Bass pro Shops for $299.00
I have friends that I hunt with that have spent $2000.00 on there's and I can't tell the difference between mine and there's.

Quote:
If you can fit it in the bag, the sealer can handle it.
smile.png
You'll definitely want to use the rolls though to make a bag big enough.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Foodsaver.

We have a V2220, it's about 4 1/2 yrs old. Later I bought the attachments to seal mason jars.

I can't live without it and would immediately get another if/when it dies.

We prefer to rolls for cutting bags - you can make your own sizes. We get them in a case of 4 large and 2 small at Sam's Club.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yup. It can be used for dry foods or anything frozen in a jar. It is **not** a substitute for water bath or pressure canning.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...TN7H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1236605774&sr=8-2

It's a great way to keep dehydrated foods fresh.

I've had a vacuum sealer (FoodSaver brand) for 3 years or so. Far superior, IMO, over cheaper brands. Have saved the price of the machine several times over, especially with meats. Freezer burned foods are money wasted.

You may be able to reuse bags, which cuts down on the cost. I thoroughly wash the bags, turning them inside out. Veggie bags are reused for veggies & meats for more meats (labeled w/ a "Sharpie").

My mom would not part with hers.

She will package 4 ears of sweet corn w/the food saver. It tastes just as good as it did when fresh picked. (She is not about to scrape it off the cob)

Also she will wash & reuse the bags

Back
Top Bottom