BYC Café

I'm not sure either. I felt hers the other night and there is a pretty good sized...tendon? in there. Luckily she's never hooked them on anything and tore it. They do look kind of funny, though!

Yup, it is a tendon. There’s actually 5 attached. The article I just posted right before yours has a good graphic showing these tendons and some good info on the function of it. :)

Oh nice! I'll check it out :)

I found it very interesting. :)

Here’s another post with some videos too but they’re a bit long but also pretty interesting IMO

Also, as to removing dew claws, I know most breeders remove them still but some are starting to not and I think if I ever got one, I would look for one that didn’t now after doing research on the topic.

Not that I would decline a dog that had them removed but they’re starting to say that dogs do use them and they’re attached to muscle.

Helps prevent torque on the leg or it twisting too much. Also helps in getting out of icy water, etc. and all our dogs always held bones and toys and stuff with them.

The rear ones are basically useless but they do use the front ones.

And especially in active dogs doing a lot of hunting or high intensity sports like agility, they can develop arthritis in the wrists later from it.

Here is a good article on the topic and some videos. The article is short but good.

http://www.sugarfactoryvetclinicmt.com/resources/medical-articles/do-the-dew-claws/

Also, for the record, I do not personally care if others choose to remove dew claws or whatever. That is their choice and I don’t judge. And I know people have done it for years and years and the dogs were always perfectly fine.

But just, for me personally, moving forward, I will always try to leave them intact and/or find a breeder who does this if possible.

I’ve seen how much all the dogs I know that have them use them so doesn’t feel right to me, personally, taking them when I know they use them a ton and would probably rather have them.

But it is personal choice and dogs are very adaptive.

Heck, a lot of dogs get around perfectly fine on 3 legs! Not that I advocate lopping a dogs legs off LOL

But dogs adapt so either way is fine but I prefer to leave them.
Much like I now prefer to leave the dogs intact as long as possible after researching.

I think that is key too.... doing your own research and deciding for yourself which is what I have done.

Yeah, most breeders do. Not sure why. Maybe tradition I guess? Some say it looks “cleaner” for showing and some standards I think require it but for most I think it is functionality as they can easily get caught on things and ripped off so easier to just take them off. But in future I will leave them I think
I know of two dogs that tore off a dew claw. It's not pretty.

Good videos Kelsey, maybe those retrievers that don't have dew claws need a dew claw glove when they are working in ice ;)

Here is an article on Ridgebacks that I just found in a search that explains it:
Similar to the blue egg gene in chickens. If the hen has 2, guaranteed her pullet offspring will lay a blue shell since they will have at least 1 regardless of if the father has any blue egg genes. If the father has 2, same thing. Down stream it gets dicey since a hen with one mated to a rooster with one can yield offspring with 2, 1 or 0 blue egg genes.

Definitely West of where I live!:D
That is why you always make the first pot of the day!

Either way, she is a beautiful dog.
Totally agree with that!

The second part happened after I opened the door and the wind in 19F weather hit me.
Yeah that wind will do a number on you. Thankfully there wasn't much here today since the high was about 0°F. Already -8°F at 8 PM tonight.

No, it means they have a double dew claw on the back.
No, it means there are two on the same paw, usually front paws on dogs that have doubles.

I read today that the back ones are not connected to the bone like the front ones are. I have no idea if that's true or not.
What I read says it is breed dependent. Dew claws on Great Pyrenees are connected to bone. Most breeds are not and they can sometimes be pretty flimsy.

I know of two dogs that tore off a dew claw. It's not pretty.
Could be because they dew claws weren't trimmed and they got caught on something? The lady in the second video mentioned that.

Could be because they dew claws weren't trimmed and they got caught on something? The lady in the second video mentioned that.
Ruby doesn't have this dew claw thing going on, but she runs like the wind and sometimes she breaks a regular toe nail. It's a pretty dramatic experience around here, but then Ruby is a drama queen.

Good videos Kelsey, maybe those retrievers that don't have dew claws need a dew claw glove when they are working in ice ;)

Similar to the blue egg gene in chickens. If the hen has 2, guaranteed her pullet offspring will lay a blue shell since they will have at least 1 regardless of if the father has any blue egg genes. If the father has 2, same thing. Down stream it gets dicey since a hen with one mated to a rooster with one can yield offspring with 2, 1 or 0 blue egg genes.

That is why you always make the first pot of the day!

Totally agree with that!

Yeah that wind will do a number on you. Thankfully there wasn't much here today since the high was about 0°F. Already -8°F at 8 PM tonight.

No, it means there are two on the same paw, usually front paws on dogs that have doubles.

What I read says it is breed dependent. Dew claws on Great Pyrenees are connected to bone. Most breeds are not and they can sometimes be pretty flimsy.

Usually doubles are on rear paws

Back
Top Bottom