Cackle Hatchery

...having four dead on the first day (especially the DOA) without recompense is reason enough for me to neither use Cackle again, nor to recommend them to anyone....
How many chicks did you order & pay for?

I'm wondering how that number compares with the number alive at each stage: because if you paid for 22, they at least owe you for the DOA, but if you paid for 21 or less then the correct number arrived alive--although obviously some did not stay alive for very long.

How many chicks did you order & pay for?

I'm wondering how that number compares with the number alive at each stage: because if you paid for 22, they at least owe you for the DOA, but if you paid for 21 or less then the correct number arrived alive--although obviously some did not stay alive for very long.
Ordered 20. Received 22. One dead on arrival; three others died same day; seven died next two days.

I received 22 Silkie chicks from Cackle Hatchery last Wednesday. One was dead on arrival, three died later that day, four died the next day and three more died Friday. I called Cackle Hatchery today and was informed that they have no culpability even for the DOA chick and the other 3 that died same day. I was lectured on chick care as it was stated that it was my responsibility for their deaths.

I currently have 24 Silkie chicks in a grow out area that I incubated and 10 others between 6 and 12 months old all of which started in the same setup I used for the Cackle Hatchery chicks. Further, I’ve ordered some 100 chicks from Meyer and McMurray hatcheries with only two deaths. I’ve also raised many quail and duck hatchlings and aside from “losing” two quail that escaped, I’ve never had anything close to a 50% loss! And I’ve incubated quite a few as well. In fact, of the more than 300 chicks I’ve raised, I’ve had less die than this one order from Cackle Hatchery. Very disappointed.
Any thoughts?
The trip can be rough on them sometimes. Usually if you call as soon as you get them and are having problems they will help you. There is just to many environmental factors that go into raising them and so many things that could happen out of the hatchery's control. At purchase they do try and inform that you as the buyer are taking a risk of having success. I live local and pick my chicks up from there. I always get extra and have never lost any! Also suck good quality. Very satisfied.

I’ve always used a heat plate. My shipped chicks did fine, but I ordered in June when it was hot. Ideal & McMurray chicks. I wonder if the cold weather during shipping chilled them too much?

Since my chicks are kept in the garage attached to the house, I would not use a heat lamp due to fire hazard.

I understand that and wouldn't want something bad to happen. When you use a heat plate it only heats up under it. Then when the venture out to eat and drink they get chilled and go back under the plate. They need a constant temp as well as 95-98 depending on the breed. Sorry about your loss. Glad you had a good experience with others though. Each batch is different for sure.

I ordered mine in May. They came just fine, and I gave them sips of yolk right away. I did lose about 4 not long after, but I was promised 18 and got 28 so I was good. (The reason I got more chickens is they didn't have any turkeys or ducks, to offer me...I think.)

I usually order from cackle and dont have too much issues. I have noticed though that sometimes there will be a couple chicks that are not as active as the other chicks and they move slowly and then they just die as they get older. So I dont like that they send chicks that have something wrong. This year I will not be ordering any I will only be hatching.

I usually order from cackle and dont have too much issues. I have noticed though that sometimes there will be a couple chicks that are not as active as the other chicks and they move slowly and then they just die as they get older. So I dont like that they send chicks that have something wrong. This year I will not be ordering any I will only be hatching.
They can't always tell if a chick isn't going to thrive when boxing. Just because it isn't doing well after shipping doesn't mean it wasn't as active and loud as it's siblings when being sorted

They can't always tell if a chick isn't going to thrive when boxing. Just because it isn't doing well after shipping doesn't mean it wasn't as active and loud as it's siblings when being sorted
But I have gotten multiple chicks with the same problem so there is probably something going on over there.

But I have gotten multiple chicks with the same problem so there is probably something going on over there.
It's probably shipping stress that manifested. I've had good luck from hatcheries and I've had very poor luck from those same hatcheries. Usually correlating to how long they were in shipping and how the weather was during it

Back
Top Bottom