Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear they arrived in good shape. For the first time this year, I used the GroGel and they LOVED it!
yippiechickie.gif

I know what you mean about the distortion in colors with the heat lamp. That's just another reason I love using the MamaHeatingPad instead. Much better pics, less concern about fire, happier chicks that can get away from the heat if they need to, and they feathered out faster.

Awaiting pics of your new babies!
pop.gif

Omg. Tempting me, if I were to get it how much space would I have to have? I going to have 7 guineas. My coop I'm going to build for the guineas is going to have likely off 96 square feet for roosting. Im guessing it might be enough because I likely will lose some.

Yes unfortunately I did order from Cackle. I ordered 15 bantam special, 5 top hat crested, 5 polish and 5 rare breed. I received 37 chicks and 1 DOA-the next day 2 more but Inassumed this is expected and why they send extras. I gave a good review. This is where the "bargain" became obvious! I had a chick per day dying. At first I thought it was pasty butt and I began checking every butt because I was following their chick care directions and they seemed to have a diarrhea issue. But even though there were only 2 blocked vents, I stil kept monitoring and contacted my avian vet who is known nationwide for Serama breeding showing and judging. He stated that if I was giving my chicks medicated feed that along with probiotics and electrolytes and keeping everything clean and at normal brooding temp that there was no reason other than receiving already sick birds that this should be occurring and to make sure to keep them isolated and contact the hatchery. I could not bring a chick in because once the diarrhea started, they were dead within 12 hours. I contacted a rep at cackle yesterday, told her in detail what was happening and what I was doing to treat it as best as possible and that I was down to 23 birds with 2 more fading fast. She complimented me for going above and beyond in regards to my research and care-I did offer to fax her receipts and email pics of my chicks and their living conditions. She stated that this was caused by stress and to treat the birds with antibiotics. I did not ask for any reimbursement other than to have a small order of healthy chicks shipped to make up for the dead and dying ones and it was not so much the money or money spent on their care but the fact that my birds were sick and suffering as they died. She stated that she would have to talk to a supervisor but she was out to lunch but would return my call ASAP. Well no call and another dead chick despite antibiotics and $150 more of chicken care and sanitation/prevention supplies! Today I called back and was transferred to the owner that proceeded to tell me that even though my brooder which has a brooder thermometer that read 90 degrees which I offered to send pics of that this was my fault because my temps were too high and that I should have medicated the chickens with antibiotics immediately upon arrival even though I was providing medicated feed because those levels are too low because the FDA reduced the allowable levels. I told her that my vet disagreed and that chicks I have either received from my breeder, local feed store, friend with a farm, my pet chicken and even ones I have hatched myself in my own incubator are all alive and well and cared for the same way I cared for my cackle chicks! She told me that with her 65 years of chicken experience, that her way was correct, my vet was wrong and she was not responsible and would do nothing for me for my troubles/losses and refused to see my receipts, note from my vet and pics. I told her that if this is how her hatchery chooses to business, I am sorry that satisfying an honest customer with replacement chicks-not a financial reimbursement or refund to make up for the sick ones sent, I hope it was worth losing a customer and me sharing my experience with others. I did received an injured chick from my pet chicken and even though the chick recovered, they gave me a full reimbursement for the $22 chick and logical tips to help care for it without making excuses. This has taught me that you get what you pay for!

Yes unfortunately I did order from Cackle. I ordered 15 bantam special, 5 top hat crested, 5 polish and 5 rare breed. I received 37 chicks and 1 DOA-the next day 2 more but Inassumed this is expected and why they send extras. I gave a good review. This is where the "bargain" became obvious! I had a chick per day dying. At first I thought it was pasty butt and I began checking every butt because I was following their chick care directions and they seemed to have a diarrhea issue. But even though there were only 2 blocked vents, I stil kept monitoring and contacted my avian vet who is known nationwide for Serama breeding showing and judging. He stated that if I was giving my chicks medicated feed that along with probiotics and electrolytes and keeping everything clean and at normal brooding temp that there was no reason other than receiving already sick birds that this should be occurring and to make sure to keep them isolated and contact the hatchery. I could not bring a chick in because once the diarrhea started, they were dead within 12 hours. I contacted a rep at cackle yesterday, told her in detail what was happening and what I was doing to treat it as best as possible and that I was down to 23 birds with 2 more fading fast. She complimented me for going above and beyond in regards to my research and care-I did offer to fax her receipts and email pics of my chicks and their living conditions. She stated that this was caused by stress and to treat the birds with antibiotics. I did not ask for any reimbursement other than to have a small order of healthy chicks shipped to make up for the dead and dying ones and it was not so much the money or money spent on their care but the fact that my birds were sick and suffering as they died. She stated that she would have to talk to a supervisor but she was out to lunch but would return my call ASAP. Well no call and another dead chick despite antibiotics and $150 more of chicken care and sanitation/prevention supplies! Today I called back and was transferred to the owner that proceeded to tell me that even though my brooder which has a brooder thermometer that read 90 degrees which I offered to send pics of that this was my fault because my temps were too high and that I should have medicated the chickens with antibiotics immediately upon arrival even though I was providing medicated feed because those levels are too low because the FDA reduced the allowable levels. I told her that my vet disagreed and that chicks I have either received from my breeder, local feed store, friend with a farm, my pet chicken and even ones I have hatched myself in my own incubator are all alive and well and cared for the same way I cared for my cackle chicks! She told me that with her 65 years of chicken experience, that her way was correct, my vet was wrong and she was not responsible and would do nothing for me for my troubles/losses and refused to see my receipts, note from my vet and pics. I told her that if this is how her hatchery chooses to business, I am sorry that satisfying an honest customer with replacement chicks-not a financial reimbursement or refund to make up for the sick ones sent, I hope it was worth losing a customer and me sharing my experience with others. I did received an injured chick from my pet chicken and even though the chick recovered, they gave me a full reimbursement for the $22 chick and logical tips to help care for it without making excuses. This has taught me that you get what you pay for!

I agree i wont buy from them again either s mine kept dropping like flies they sent a scissor beak along with a double beaked bird that died. Seems there birds are inbred over bred etc. ive ordered from mcmurray lasy year the whole order came dead. But got my money back. Ive ordered from allot of different hatcheries even gotten chicks off ebay with less problems then cackle. No wonders the surprise is cheap...there the sick birds there throwing out.

I agree i wont buy from them again either s mine kept dropping like flies they sent a scissor beak along with a double beaked bird that died. Seems there birds are inbred over bred etc. ive ordered from mcmurray lasy year the whole order came dead. But got my money back. Ive ordered from allot of different hatcheries even gotten chicks off ebay with less problems then cackle. No wonders the surprise is cheap...there the sick birds there throwing out.
I can't believe the owner herself spoke to me and had the nerve that I should take her advice-a salesperson over a well known breeder and vet & the FDA! They lowered the amount of antibiotics in the feed for a reason. And places selling chicken and eggs-even restaurants say their chickens are free range without steroids and antibiotics. You should not to heavily medicate something that is not known to be sick-ask any DR. that-it's how you create immune resistant bacteria and cause worse intestinal infection by destroying good bacteria. I am a nurse and she spoke to me like I was an idiot-how disrespectful to her customers. You would have thought I asked for a complete refund and refund for everything it is taking to save what birds I have left. I truly only asked for a replacement of 7-10 chicks-the amount I lost under the 30 I ordered. Now on top of it all, I bet they are all roosters! I expect no less from them at this point. The good news is, even though I am new to incubation and received 4 12+ packs of shipped eggs and 7 of my own Serama eggs, I have hatched 4 beautiful silkies, 3 Seramas and have 29 ready to hatch in 3-4 days and 10 more in a week or so!!!! Good things come to those who care for their animals, do their homework and don't cut corners. I am now glad now that I look back at the situation she did not agree to send me more birds-it would just be another group of segregated birds that I would probably have to medicate! I have an order coming from My Pet Chicken on Tuesday-I will let you know how that goes. I have already been very satisfied with their customer service and time they spent helping me with my injured chick and speed of delivery. I understand they order from Meyer Hatchery so if I happen to need a specific breed in a larger quantity, I might try them.

I can't believe the owner herself spoke to me and had the nerve that I should take her advice-a salesperson over a well known breeder and vet & the FDA! They lowered the amount of antibiotics in the feed for a reason. And places selling chicken and eggs-even restaurants say their chickens are free range without steroids and antibiotics. You should not to heavily medicate something that is not known to be sick-ask any DR. that-it's how you create immune resistant bacteria and cause worse intestinal infection by destroying good bacteria. I am a nurse and she spoke to me like I was an idiot-how disrespectful to her customers. You would have thought I asked for a complete refund and refund for everything it is taking to save what birds I have left. I truly only asked for a replacement of 7-10 chicks-the amount I lost under the 30 I ordered. Now on top of it all, I bet they are all roosters! I expect no less from them at this point. The good news is, even though I am new to incubation and received 4 12+ packs of shipped eggs  and 7 of my own Serama eggs, I have hatched 4 beautiful silkies, 3 Seramas and have 29 ready to hatch in 3-4 days and 10 more in a week or so!!!! Good things come to those who care for their animals, do their homework and don't cut corners. I am now glad now that I look back at the situation she did not agree to send me more birds-it would just be another group of segregated birds that I would probably have to medicate! I have an order coming from My Pet Chicken on Tuesday-I will let you know how that goes. I have already been very satisfied with their customer service and time they spent helping me with my injured chick and speed of delivery. I understand they order from Meyer Hatchery so if I happen to need a specific breed in a larger quantity, I might try them. 

Ive ordered hatching eggs from mpc few years back out of 12 eggs 6 hatched. I had better luck hatching them over ebay egg which none hatched

Back
Top Bottom