California-Southern

You got rain there today, Lisa??? We didn't get any down here at the coast. Anyway, welcome! It's nice to see not only So. Cal folks, but OC folks as well! I fully agree that those reality shows give us a really bad name. I don't know about you but I don't know anyone like any of those shows! I'm sure my life would be perfectly boring compared! ha ha.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of space out there in Yorba Linda to have all the things that you're growing. Maybe I need to move!

Hello,Anybody here in the San Diego county area??
You mention chicken around here and people think Kentucky fried....
hmm.png
Very Sad

BalancedCAmom]Hi Urbanhomesteader,
where are you in YL. Have you bought any birds yet? I noticed there was a sign up at YL Feed for baby chicks, the prices were a bit high, but you wouldn't have to drive. just thought I would let you know and welcome! I love to see soCal represented here. Those crazy reality shows give us a such a bad name.. and we are just regular chicken loving people....
smile.png

Hi BalancedCAmom,
Thanks for the heads up. I got some eggs from an ebay auction. The nice lady was from Norco and let me drive over and pick them up so there was no hassle.. I also got to check out the "parent" hens and roos. I have 12 Cuckoo Maran eggs in the incubator due to hatch on Friday.

Believe it or not I live in East Lake Village! LOL! Not "exactly" zoned for chickens but who cares.
lol.png
My neighbors don't care. They actually liked my other hens. And are looking forward to my new girls.​

Hey Wwolf:
I can't believe there are not tons of folks out there with chickens, that whole Fallbrook area is so ranch-like. I met some people last time I was in Temecula who lived there that even had a cow! They wanted fresh milk.. they were so cool, had a mini farm, goat (they made their own cheese too!)chickens, peacocks! San Marcos looks to be semi rural, changing but alot of people have land. there will probably be people coming out of the woodwork after your post! I think some people just worry what their neighbors will say.

What a great place to live, can run to the beach then back home to feed the chickens!
Welcome!

Urbanhomesteader
Eastlake Village! we are practically neighbors..those are pretty big lots, I really don't think most people mind, it's kind of cool to see your kids take their egg bucket out in the morning and come back full of eggs that they want to eat. I volunteer at my sons school and we did this egg toss game so I mentioned that we had chickens; believe it or not about 1/4 of the kids had chickens too. We live in an older area that is Equestrian zoned and about 1/2 have horses the others just have dogs, chickens, I think some of the kids that are in 4H have pygmy goats, lambs, ducks, but everyone keeps their place very clean, so no complaints!We do have one neighbor that called in someone that had a rooster. I actually don't mind the roosters, it's kind of a nice wake up.

Good luck with your egg hatching, I have never incubated before, I have just gotten the chicks when they are a day or two old. It sounds like fun, I would be a nervous wreck waiting though, How long is that incubation period?
L

Hi Backyard buddies;
I hear ya on the reality shows, I don't even want to know anyone like that, gives us all a bad name! We have had our share of sprinkles, lots of rain yesterday too.

I grew up in Anaheim but moving to YL has been so great. I love this area, very family oriented and open minded, people seem very casual. We have lots of the smaller lots with the newer homes but the older homes have dream lots! We actually just moved here about a year ago and bought our place specifically for the lot. The house can use some renovation-it's too modern for my taste, but the property could not be beat. We have had a few people move to the area after visiting our place I must admit... trails run throughout this area. I love seeing moms taking their kids to school via horseback, really they do that! I think YL has that small town feel.

Anyway good to hear from you!
L

I agree its a very casual atmosphere. The horse trails are lovely although I don't think I will ever get used to horses crossing at cross walks. LOL!
The incubation perion is 21 days and today is day 21
woot.gif

I have 3 chickies so far.
yippiechickie.gif
9 more to go....And yes the anticipation was driving me crazy. now that I have a few hatched I feel more relaxed.

Hey Fuzzbutt and Buelltonbrian,

I'm from Los Olivos (parents still live there) , living in Atascadero now. Love Anderson's Pea Soup, really just for the local chit chat!!! Also, Love Ellen's pancake house!

Just had a chick hatch this morning, eight more to go!

Lori (newbie)

Hi everyone, We are above Frazier Park. It is in Kern Co. off the grapevine. Moved here Dec. 2005 from Port Hueneme.From two blocks from the beach to 30min. from the city!! We love it!! We have a good sized place that we are sloooowly making progress with. Just got a tractor so that will help bunches. Chickens are in a large cage that was given to us with two of the hens. We also have another young hen just over six mo. A roo and another roo just over six mo. I think I have figured out what breeds they are. All except for the young ones.

By the way, there is an Andersons off the 5. We were up that way in Feb. I love pea souop and Andersons. Have not been there in over twenty years! My dh hates pea soup but had planned to stop there for lunch as a surprise. Boy! were we surprised, everything said that they were opened, a sign on the door said they were opened for renevations. But they weren't. Oh well, guess we'll have to go out to the coast.
Monica

Back
Top Bottom