California-Southern

OK, I want to join too!
frow.gif

I live in Altadena, above Pasadena. I grew up in Covina. Went to school in both Riverside and Fullerton. Worked one summer at the Rialto Airport. Worked two summers in a dental office in Atascadero.

Whenever we drive up the 101 we always stop at Buelton! For the soup, that is. It seems to taste better there then from the can.
roll.png
We seem to always go up the 5 these day though...

We're quite happy in Altadena. We have 3/4 an acre of land and a house that is close to 100 yrs old. I really wish the house was more modern, but we have a basement, and that is cool. We've planted close to 40 fruit trees, and have a whole berry patch. And, oh yes, chickens. The most we've had at one time was 25. We have 9 now, but that will change in about 2 weeks, as we are hoping that our eggs in the bator hatch. Well, we are hoping only some of them hatch - we have about 4 doz in there.
ep.gif

Hi Silkiepjsg
That is such a cool area, I have been telling my husband we need to go to that old downtown Pasadena area to shop. I have heard there are so many great stores for art, auctions. Are you redoing that 100 y-o house? the architecture there is unbelievable and a basement! you don't hear about too many true basements here in soCal. Welcome!
Lisa

BalancedCAmon;
We'd redo the house if we had money to do so... We'd like to. It has been redone in the 1980's, but still is funky. It will do though.
We mostly like the land, and we are 1 mile from the national forest.
Pasadena is great. Once moving here, we really don't have to go anywhere else for entertainment or restaurants.

I'll be moving to the Santa Barbara/Goleta area in July. I'm from NH and we've been raising chickens since I was little, so I really wanna get back into it. Anyone have any tips for getting started in CA? Do they have Buy-Sell-Swaps in the area? Are there any special zoning laws or anything that I have to worry about?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated!

Well, Welcome!
There ARE zoning laws, it depends on where exactly you end up, as to what they are.

Many feed stores have chicks, some even chickens.

I don't know what a Buy-sell-Swap is.... so I can't answer that one.

I know several times folks have gone in together to order baby chicks also.
When you move on in, post again, and then someone close to you will help out more.

When are you moving?

http://www.sbcountyplanning.org/PDF/forms/LUDC/CountyWide_LUDC.pdf

view
page 336, item D

As far as the buy/sell/swap, I have no idea. We ordered from www.mypetchicken.com and they have been great, as they are the only place you can order (and safely get) as few as 3 chickens. We wanted bantams, and they HAD to be sexed (see the no roosters clause), and they are the ONLY ONES IN THE COUNTRY that sex bantams. (Albeit for a major surcharge, but *totally* worth in IMHO).

Welcome to the county!!!

PS my mom's an attorney, so she looked it up for me when we were trying to figure out what the "rules" were.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom