California-Southern

Question I would like answered is where did that one bird that started the whole thing get the disease. And as much as I would love to go to a poultry show to see all the lovely birds now I never will

Question I would like answered is where did that one bird that started the whole thing get the disease. And as much as I would love to go to a poultry show to see all the lovely birds now I never will

I wonder the same thing every year how poultry gets hit with some sort of disease whether it's Mareck's or AI or Newcastles, etc. How did it start? Did someone smuggle in diseased birds from outside the country, did it get spread then by migratory wild birds, and if Newcastles was first detected in the Midwest how did it eventually get to Calif? So many questions questions questions! And the greedy hatcheries continued shipping chicks and grown juveniles from Midwest hatcheries to other states all over the country in spite of Newcastles first being detected in the Midwest which in my mind was irresponsible -- but that's JMHO.

Anyway, since responsible Midwest PRIVATE breeders posted that they were not going to ship birds (as far back as May 2018 on their websites) I figured it best not to order any birds since I first read about it. Additionally, my vet who's been seeing my hens for the past 8 years also warned me as far back as July 2018 that 3 cities at the time in our county had reported Newcastles and for me not to bring any new birds onto my property, Of course, how does one keep out flying wild birds -- I even stopped putting out my hummingbird feeders this past year as well! I try to figure every responsible method I can to prevent the possibility of Newcastles around me -- and that includes preventing trips to feed stores, pet stores, etc etc.

We stocked up on big bags of our usual organic chicken feed to store at home so we don't have to make any more trips to feed stores where other poultry owners go to buy their feed -- just so we can avoid the possibility that some of those customers aren't as careful or as paranoid as me to stay away from other poultry owners! This disease is hurting a lot of responsible poultry people yet the almighty DOLLAR is going to prevent feed stores and other greedy poultry businesses from being as careful as some of the more conscientious private owners. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of ignorant private flock owners out there but it infuriates me to see places of poultry business like feed stores have no bio-security measures with customers coming freely in and out of their stores carrying who-knows-what kind of diseases on their shoes and clothing?! But that's just me venting!

A private breeder told me the first case of Newcastles since 2003 was found in a backyard flock in L.A. County and probably because we are in the Pacific migratory flyway. But there are cases in the Midwest too that have their own migratory flyway. So where does the Newcastles originate from? Who knows? Owners -- pray that our flocks bypass any threats!

My big boy had a rough morning. He only got 10 minutes of belly scritches today instead of 15. Please pray for him.

44901.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348877789075792/permalink/350179488945622/

I am posting this link to a very necessary petition. As many of you know, SoCal is dealing with the Newcastle's outbreak. Well on Friday a family with a backyard flock had their PERFECTLY HEALTHY FLOCK KILLED!They were going through the appropriate legal channels to fight the kill order issued without any testing nor sign of illness within their flock. She paid to have her own birds tested in order to prove they were healthy and simply remain under quarantine. She told them she would get the results today ....governments answer...arrive unannounced and kill her flock on Friday before the results arrived. This HAS to change. This could have been any backyard chicken family! Please take the time to sign and share. This family is currently pursuing legal action.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348877789075792/permalink/350179488945622/

I am posting this link to a very necessary petition. As many of you know, SoCal is dealing with the Newcastle's outbreak. Well on Friday a family with a backyard flock had their PERFECTLY HEALTHY FLOCK KILLED!They were going through the appropriate legal channels to fight the kill order issued without any testing nor sign of illness within their flock. She paid to have her own birds tested in order to prove they were healthy and simply remain under quarantine. She told them she would get the results today ....governments answer...arrive unannounced and kill her flock on Friday before the results arrived. This HAS to change. This could have been any backyard chicken family! Please take the time to sign and share. This family is currently pursuing legal action.

This is crazy! I will definetely check out.

You guys have been talking about it for a while, but I'm just gonna slide in this post...

Back
Top Bottom