Californians **Beware!!! Newcastle Outbreak**

9SpiceyChickens

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2018
In the coop, Northern CA
*Read Down For More Info* Please, Please, Please do NOT go to any California shows, trades, hatcheries, or other flocks until otherwise noted. I will be keeping this post updated.

Hello. :) I'm not going to sugarcoat this.
Currently, May 2019, in the state of California there is an outbreak of Newcastle. This post is to inform about Newcastle. There will also a few ways of (a. curing Newcastle, & (b. preventing Newcastle. If you would like to comment helpful or interesting things about Newcastle, please do so.

If you've never heard of Newcastle, read on. If you have skip the section with *'s.

*Newcastle is a deadly and highly contagious disease. It is even more dangerous for chickens than ducks, turkeys, and other poultry and birds, although it still severely affects them. It often doesn't affect humans, but can ocasionally give humans in direct contact with an infected bird an eye infection, which does not need to be treated.*

A few symptons of Newcastle-
  • respiratory distress such as gaping beak, coughing, sneezing, gurgling, rattling
  • nervous signs characterised by tremors and paralysis and twisting of the neck
  • unusually watery faeces (diarrhea) that are yellowish-green in colour
  • depression
  • lack of appetite

A few items that can carry and contaminate-
  • vehicles
  • equipment
  • clothing
  • water and feed
A few ways to prevent Newcastle-
  • vaccinating your animals against the disease - talk to your vet for advice
  • practising strict biosecurity on your property

A few things NOT to do-
  • Go to shows
  • Buy Adult poultry
  • Go to other poultry owners houses
  • Trade birds (over 6 weeks)
  • Interact with birds from other flocks

There is no current cure, and the disease can stay in manure for 2+ months and dead bodies 12+ months.

Please notify a vet, and get help.
If you have anything to say, please do so.

Last edited:
You mentioned not buying adult chickens. What about vaccinated chicks? Is it still okay to purchase them as long as use proper biosecurity (ie keeping them separate from rest of flock for 4 weeks)?

I was wondering the same thing - we were about to order day old chicks for our broody hen. Is this a danger for Newcastle?

We have friends from CA who are in the middle of the Newcastle outbreak. They don't have poultry, but could they still bring the disease with them when they come to visit us?

I believe they will be fine, just don't directly have them handle your chickens.

You mentioned not buying adult chickens. What about vaccinated chicks? Is it still okay to purchase them as long as use proper biosecurity (ie keeping them separate from rest of flock for 4 weeks)?

Yes, that will likely be fine.

I was wondering the same thing - we were about to order day old chicks for our broody hen. Is this a danger for Newcastle?
Make sure the chicks are vaccinated, and seperate the broody!

The Newcastle vaccine is not effective against the strain found in the California outbreak. And it will cause animals to test positive for Newcastle. It is not a good choice in this case.

FYI if you live in Southern California most counties are in quarantine or no mail zones (so no chicks mailed) please check this before you move poultry around or get new chicks! If you’d feed store is in a quarantined area and they have new chicks find out where they came from!

Back
Top Bottom