Castle Delight Seramas - Post your photos and share your stories!

I know it's bound to happen and is just a part of the whole deal, and I always think I'm prepared, but it has killed me the few times I've lost chicks and seriously made me question each time if it was worth it. By far the worst one for me was a turkey chick last spring. I hatched out a batch of wild Eastern Turkeys (my neighbor was clipping a field, partially ran over the nest and there was no way the hen would come back with a destroyed nest and clipped field so I took in the eggs). I had a few that were having a splayed leg issue so I did the little band-aid wrap on their legs. Unfortunately I had placed the waterer too close to the edge of the pen and one little chick fell in, couldn't get out because of the edge of the pen and I'm sure because his legs were wrapped, and he drowned. It happened in a matter of minutes because I had just put them out there, walked inside and came back out and found him. I cried and cried and felt horrible because I knew it was my fault.

But it's so much fun to raise the little crazy things and watch them grow that I keep doing it, even knowing there will be losses and saddness.

Quote:
Oh Rachel that would absolutely do me in. I've got stories I can tell, but I don't want to keep the heartache and sadness going. I know exactly how you felt and still feel... It's terrible. But I know that more chicks are in my future. And the ones I have are changing so fast! They're starting to play around with each other and their wing feathers are really coming in. They'll keep me distracted for awhile
smile.png

Quote:
Oooh I will have to do that! I've been checking out the auctions almost every day... I've got the incubating itch pretty bad right now.

By the way, all my babies have huge hard crops tonight. I noticed my smallest one has had a full crop for the past 24 hours. I picked her up and she smelled a little sour...
hide.gif
she's still eating and drinking and pooping and running around all over the place, but I haven't seen her crop any less full since I noticed yesterday morning. My boyfriend suggested that maybe the feed is a little too big and gets backed up, but eventually passes. None of them are acting differently in any way... I hope it's just them chowing down on food because they're growing so fast, but I'm extra paranoid because of what happened last night. I'm going to smash the food up a little better inside of a plastic baggy now (I've been using medicated chick starter smashed with the back of a spoon) and see if that helps. Do you think I should give them soft food until I see their crops empty out a little bit? I have to work tomorrow but I'll come home to check on them at lunch.

Quote:
Oooh I will have to do that! I've been checking out the auctions almost every day... I've got the incubating itch pretty bad right now.

By the way, all my babies have huge hard crops tonight. I noticed my smallest one has had a full crop for the past 24 hours. I picked her up and she smelled a little sour...
hide.gif
she's still eating and drinking and pooping and running around all over the place, but I haven't seen her crop any less full since I noticed yesterday morning. My boyfriend suggested that maybe the feed is a little too big and gets backed up, but eventually passes. None of them are acting differently in any way... I hope it's just them chowing down on food because they're growing so fast, but I'm extra paranoid because of what happened last night. I'm going to smash the food up a little better inside of a plastic baggy now (I've been using medicated chick starter smashed with the back of a spoon) and see if that helps. Do you think I should give them soft food until I see their crops empty out a little bit? I have to work tomorrow but I'll come home to check on them at lunch.

Hmmm that is interesting. I have yet to experience that with babies. Grinding up the food will definitely help. What type of bedding are they on? Could they be eating it? Not sure about the soft food, maybe someone else will have advice on that. I would just keep a close eye.

Quote:
I've never seen babies with such full crops before! Or maybe I just never noticed. Anyway they're still on paper towels. This morning it looks like all of their crops are empty. I just gave them their food dish for about 5 minutes and the smallest one already has a full crop again! I pulled the dish out so I could check her before she ate anymore and you should've heard her cry! I think I just have a little piggy on my hands. Not sure why she has that sour smell to her though... That still makes me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom