Chicken Breed Focus - Holland

I believe there is a difference in the number of comb points between PBR and BH though an non SOP version of either bird would make it difficult to tell especially in the Cockerel.

Because of their limited availability I am trying to get breeding stock out here on the west coast. I hatched a single pullet from over 30 shipped eggs (2 batches) They are slow to develop compared to other heritage breeds but I can say the one I have is not cuddly but friendly,calm and a great forager. She seems to buddy up with the single Delaware I hatched around the same time.

I have a small batch of Hollands from Ideal. I was worried about the cream colored eggs, but mine all lay nice paper-white. The eggs themselves are decent size, but they're far from stellar layers. They are smaller and more upright than Rocks (eating less, I'm guessing) and I believe they're supposed to have white shanks/skin. They do have fairly small combs for a white egger, and temperament wise seem about the same as my dual purpose birds, not flighty like a lot of white egg layers.

Cream is a term used to describe a tinted egg.

When a hen lays a tinted egg it means there is just a tiny bit of brown overlay on it.

A white egg will not have any coating on it. A breed that is supposed to lay a white egg should not lay cream eggs. It is considered a fault if you are breeding to an SOP. Hollands are a fairly new breed so breeders are trying to weed hens that lay cream colored eggs out of the gene pool.

I have two pullets which I bought at the local feed store as Dominiques. One of them has a single comb. I suspect she might be a Holland. She also is the friendliest out of our twenty-four chickens. Here she is at a couple months old.
1557877529384.jpg
IMG_20190502_175450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom