Chicken Breed Focus - Holland

WOW!!! Have never heard of that breed. I've got a Dominique and a Barred Rock.... They do look similar. Thank you for all this information!

Attachments

• PXL_20201221_124430863.jpg
    PXL_20201221_124430863.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 0
How does this breed's temperament compare with the Dominique and the Plymouth Barred Rock in real life? The catalog describes the latter two breeds as "calm, gentle," and "docile, friendly, adaptable," respectively. I currently have a calm flock of 25 with no bullies, consisting primarily of Black Australorps (10), Easter Eggers (8), and Brown Leghorns (5), plus two males. I won't have BLs again, they are too nervous and flighty for my tastes, so I'm looking for calm white egg layers that will fit seamlessly into my existing flock.

Well, out with the old and in with the NEW YEAR.

I found a breeder in our state listed on the directory of The Livestock Conservancy. Not too far away, either.

Got in contact and wow, she's got them available. We are working out when I'll be picking them up. Not new chicks - started pullets and cockerels. 8 & 2 or may up the numbers somewhat.

So I did my Livestock Conservancy membership and double checked my APA membership... Updated it but until it's recognized, can't access the SOP for Hollands. Will go back over that, while I wait to get eggs. Hoping I can get eggs and maybe incubate some before March of this year...

I can't wait!

How does this breed's temperament compare with the Dominique and the Plymouth Barred Rock in real life? The catalog describes the latter two breeds as "calm, gentle," and "docile, friendly, adaptable," respectively. I currently have a calm flock of 25 with no bullies, consisting primarily of Black Australorps (10), Easter Eggers (8), and Brown Leghorns (5), plus two males. I won't have BLs again, they are too nervous and flighty for my tastes, so I'm looking for calm white egg layers that will fit seamlessly into my existing flock.
Happy New Year 🥳

I don't have experience with the Dominique or PBR so I can't compare. What I can say is they are the sweetest birds that I've owned. They are calm, friendly, good tempered birds.

Happy New Year 🥳

I don't have experience with the Dominique or PBR so I can't compare. What I can say is they are the sweetest birds that I've owned. They are calm, friendly, good tempered birds.

That is so nice to hear. I don't have experience with Dominique's or PBRs either. I do have both CLBs and 55 Flowery Hens and have found them to be a bit flighty (based on Leghorn backgrounds??) and stand offish. I will thoroughly enjoy having sweet, friendly birds around, LOL.

As to the Hollands, I know that I will be going through the current threads here and hope to be able to "pick the brains" of current, sustainable breeders as to how to continue to select for next generations breeders and so forth.

I just realized that if they are re-instated, I also have access to at least 2 chicken shows relatively close by and now have the property/space and different tractors available to keep show stock segregated from other flocks upon return home from shows. Make that 3-5 if include up to 3 counties fairs & State fair (well, I know that county I'm close to has a fair, the 2 counties our property straddles - not sure)... The "town" of Cameron/zipcode includes all 3 counties. So that would also be a learning aspect, :)

Here's to an all New Year - in 2021. :ya:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom